“Authentic”

Dining options: Reservations
Wernersville, Pennsylvania
“Authentic”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Very good food. This was our first attempt at Indian cuisine so we really did not know what to expect. We will go again.

Visited July 2012

Norristown, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Place, Never ever go ...”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Worst place, very rude owner, we were forced to order extra food for our group saying that as they dont charge any service charges so u can't order less (even if you are not too hungry). And owner made sure to say this very rudely. When we opted to go out she said she will call police as she has already put plates and served waters so now we can walk out ......It was a very bad experience and it spoiled out evening. I would say don't go there unless u have absolutely no other option in the whole city to eat. This should be your last choice ..

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Kevin J
Shillington, Pennsylvania, United States
“Going Down Hill Cheaper”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The first time I found this place 4 years ago I was very impressed with the quality & taste of the food. The prices were reasonable & service was great. Ive been going about once a month since then & throughout time things kept getting cheaper with cheaper types of ingredients used such as cheeses, portion sizes, & fresh things. A lot of the dishes started to get more & more watery instead of its normal thickness to it. I dont know if chefs changed or what not but i could tell a lot of the portion sizes were cut back pretty significantly as well as amounts of meat put in each dish. I was very disappointed when i received my check during a dining with a friend recently, normally rice comes with every type of meal you order but they said because of the groupon coupon we were using they had to charge $5 dollars extra per meal & rice that came out. We ordered 5 different entrees & that tacked on an extra $25. I couldnt believe what their excuse was when i confronted them about it. They stated if the coupon was used that it was charged, I asked dont u think that you should write that under your terms & conditions then when placing that ad out on groupon? It realistically doesnt save you any money then after you figure it out & is complete misleading & just a way to get people in to rip them off...... I was furious because i am a repeat customer but after an experience & crappy explanation like that i will take my business elsewhere.

• Visited November 2012
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
“Rip off.....”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Used a Groupon, was charged extra for rice @$4.95 each for four people. This was the second bad experience I had there. Last July I almost walked out after ordering take out, I was really berated and told I had nerve to call them for a take out order and use a Groupon when it was sooo hot outside. Really - if it's too hot, get out of the kitchen. I really don't know how they still are staying open, foods OK - pretty greasy. I think the owners have a problem.... they also poured water in my husband's wine glass (which had wine in it).

• Visited November 2012
Reading, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Indian? I think not”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let me preface by saying I work with a number of Indian colleagues and they have cooked for us on many occasions (parties, potlucks, the like). We have enjoyed a variety of authentic foods from both northern and southern India. We have also dined at authentic Indian restaurants in large cities and found the tastes and ambiance to be wonderful.

We received a $40 Groupon to Aashiyana as a gift. We were reluctant to go there after reading reviews, but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. The first time we showed up, the place was mysteriously closed even though their web site said they were open and they told us they would be open over the phone the day before.

The second time, we call right before we leave so as to not get burned again. They're open. We show up and the atmosphere is uncomfortable to say the least. No music, just a few patrons sitting around in silence, sometimes making hushed conversation. We're seated and an extremely quiet waitress takes our order. Rotis and chutneys come out, which aren't bad, but aren't great either. Then the main dishes come out. My wife ordered fish curry; I ordered spinach paneer. Both expensive, both absolutely miserable. They were served in dingy, sticky metal dishes and the food (even the rice) was greasy, salty and metallic. Wife's fish was fishy. My bowl had no more than three soggy crumbly paneer cubes bobbing in a pool of overcooked, oversalted spinach. I would have been incensed had I actually paid for the meal.

At some point a surly looking man that might have been the cook stood at the back of the dining room watching everyone angrily with his hands stuffed in his pockets. We weren't sure what his exact intent was other than to unnerve the guests.

The owner comes out to take our bill, wearing dark sunglasses inside the dark restaurant, and talks to us in a somewhat rude manner. At this point we couldn't wait to leave. Unfortunately, Aashiyana wasn't done with us as our bowels were extremely distressed the whole way home.

Frankly, I'm not sure how this place is even in business. Maybe Readingites think this is real Indian cuisine? I honestly don't know, but I hope this review will be educational to someone who is on the verge of giving this subpar establishment a chance.

• Visited June 2012