“Dissapointed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd and Washington st
Description: Chef David Brennan's newest creation Panevino-featuring rustic regional Italian cuisine. From homemade pastas to grilled Tuscan pizzas and braised lamb shank with polenta. The food is healthy and fresh. Dinner is enhanced by soothing live music Friday's and Saturday's. Enjoy impeccable service for intimate dining accompanied by Berks county's finest wine list featuring over 150 wines from all over the world.
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This place is beautiful and has a nice cozy atmosphere however the food was not impressive. Location is relatively safe. Coming from an Italian family with Sicilian born parents I should have known better than to eat italian food out. My husband was not happy with his pizza it was barely filling. My pasta sauce was bland with overcooked penne and it was supposed to have eggplant which I could barely find. Our appetizer came during our meal because they had to make it from scratch aka they forgot about it. Server/ hostess were friendly...like I said a nice atmosphere but with dishes priced from $15-30 and it wasnt anything to rave about, I don't know that I will ever go back.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice restaurant, friendly staff, comfortable ambiance. Food was imaginative and well prepared. Good wine list. Great for family gatherings, special occasions, or just a nice meal out.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our 3 previous visits had been great. First, I asked for a nice view. What I got was table RIGHT next to kitchen! Servers back and forth, very noisey and busy. Any table would have been better. Our appetizer came out minutes after ordering, our salad just a few minutes after finishing salad. Were told that kitchen lost our ticket and that our meals were being plated. Continued to wait, woman apologized, said our meals would be out in 2 minutes, still waiting. Overall, we waited about hour and a half before entree finally came (while hubby drank $12 scotch-Johnny W Black!!). People who were seated the same time as us, were gone as we waited. We never were offered a drink or a dessert on the house, nothing. I've been to MANY restaurants and have always had restaurant offer something to compensate for our time. I do think Panevino needs a lesson in 'customer service'. We were very disappointed. May be a while before we go back.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We've eaten here a few times, as recently as two weeks ago and the food was outstanding, as was the service. Nice bar area, great chef--a perfect meal...

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was looking forward to dining here. Reading has a limited number of good restaurants and I was hoping we could add one to our regular "go to" repertoire. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

I am not sure what classification Panevino is attempting to be - fine dining, family restaurant. There were fresh flowers on the table, a cloth tablecloth, then there was no table setting. The utensils (2 forks and a knife - no spoon) were plopped down in front of us when we sat down, wrapped in a cloth napkin. I have never seen this before. I AM used to this when I am at a neighborhood restaurant with paper placemats and napkins.

We ordered a shared appetizer of fried calamari. We were warned that it was spicy - fine with us - we like spicy food. The fried calamari was tasty, but the spicy part was some sort of pickled hot pepper, along with the vinegar type "sauce" placed on top of the fried calamari. I have had calamari probably thousands of times and never had I seen it served like this. The hot peppers were overpowering and added nothing to the dish but heat and sogginess. Plus, it was served on one large plate and we had to reach to share the dish. No small plates were offered for sharing.

The salads which came with the entrees - a tri colore and a radicchio - were actually the best part of the meal. I had grilled salmon served over spinach, with fingerling potatoes. The salmon was tasty but the spinach and potatoes were greasy and tasteless. My husband had rigatoni with sausage. The sausage was sliced in long pieces and placed on top of the pasta in a windmill pattern - attractive - but the sausage was way overcooked. The tomato sauce on the pasta was the most bland sauce I have ever tasted and this is a restaurant which features Italian dishes.

For those who value large portions, you will not be disappointed. However, I prefer taste over portion size, so we will not be returning.

2  Thank luvroma2