“Fun night/ affordable prices” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reading Comedy Outlet

Reading Comedy Outlet
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Fun night/ affordable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

I used to love this place back in the day. In the 90’s- early 2000’s I would try and go at least once a month. But then a few years ago, a new owner took over. The comedy remained funny, but the atmosphere was different, in an awkward kind of way to the point where my husband and I stopped going. So when I heard the comedy club changed ownership (and locations) I was quick to give it a second try. I am happy to report the Comedy club is back and better than ever! The new location is inside Heister’s Lanes , the bowling alley near Albright college.

The staff is friendly and helpful; if you are shy, they will not put you up front. There are usually two young men who work at the door and warm-up the crowd. There are usually at least two servers working the room, more on busy nights. The room is slightly larger than the old one and is located in a private space right next to the bar with a wall in between. One improvement from the previous location is that you can order food in addition to the drink menu. They offer a pub menu with burgers, pizza, wings, etc. The food is certainly not gourmet, but it is affordable and is on par with what I’ve seen at other comedy clubs. Another noticeable change is that you are allowed to smoke at the bar. At first this concerned me because I am a non-smoker and cannot stand cigarette smoke, but I didn’t notice any smoke during the show. I even made a comment to our waitress and she mentioned they had a good filtration system.

The comedians are great, just like I remembered; we have yet to see a dud. While most of the comics are not household names, they are funny none-the-less. In fact, the last few times we’ve gone I didn’t even check the website to see who was performing because I was confident they would be funny, and they were. Last time we went was during an “amateur weekend”, even then I was impressed with the talent. The ticket price is usually between $13-$15 unless they bring in a big name. After the show, the comedians and some of the crowd hang out at the bar for drinks. The comedy club also offers a discount on bowling for anyone at the show, my husband and I don’t bowl, but I see how that could be a benefit for the younger crowd. If you’ve never gone, or haven’t been there in a while, give it a try I bet you’ll like it.

Visited April 2012

Berks County PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Reading Comedy Outlet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

The comedy Outlet is one of my favorite places for an affordable night out in Reading / Berks County. They are located in the Crown Plaza Hotel (It used to be called the Sheraton Wyomissing). I have been going to the comedy club for many years now and continue to be impressed by the caliber of talent presented there. On most nights you will get comics that perform across the country and are regulars in Atlantic City / Las Vegas, quite a few of these have been featured on Satellite radio. Some of these comics may not have reached national stardom, but they are often very good. I often go to the comedy clubs when I’m in NYC and many of the same comics work there as well, only those clubs there charge double what they do in Reading. On specially ticketed events, they bring in acts that have appeared on Comedy Central, the Tonight Show, etc. I have seen Jon Reep, Jim Norton and most recently Ben Bailey (the guy from Cash Cab) at the club; I even got my picture taken with him! A few years ago, the club has even hosted Jeff Dunham and George Carlin. Shows are held Friday and Saturday nights, check the reading comedy outlet website for schedule and show times (I think show times change by season). The price for regular shows is pretty cheap ($12) with special show tickets varying by performer. Another nice thing about this place is that they are one of the few remaining clubs that do not have a two-drink minimum. The drinks are reasonably priced and generally well prepared, but the option to drink is still yours. The room is small and cozy, and every seat offers a good view of the stage, generally the comics are pretty well behaved and don’t pick on the crowd……. unless you heckle, then all bets are off. The skiddish folks often sit in the back, but I have sat right next to the stage without any problem. Overall, this is a very good alternative to dinner and a movie and is great for a night out with a group of friends. If you go, be prepared to laugh, you will definitely have something to talk about around the water cooler on Monday.

4 Thank Berks_County_Bob