“Smokers haven”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Smokers haven”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you smoke, this is the place for you, otherwise, disgusting! My asthma acted up as soon as I stepped foot into this hotel because it reeked of smoke. I was refunded on grounds that the hotel room would sell again after I left. The room was dirty, bug splattered on the wall above the tv and broken glass on the art work...like, how is this presentable? I was just very disappointed. Luckily the manager was kind and willing to accommodate my needs ...the only good thing about that hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Trvlgurl114

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

So we stayed here cause we had a free stay on credit card points. It is off the beaten path. Nice front desk people, room was clean and neat. Bathroom was clean. TV Cable reception was a little off, but that could have been a bad day for cable. Not a big deal. FREE WIFI was great and easy to use.

Breakfast was nice. Hot items like eggs, sausage, waffles and other goodies like pastries and such. All in all a good stay. We may be back this way and will consider staying here again.

Room Tip: My room was 216 and it was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bicibill
TraceyManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
It is our goal to provide a great lodging experience for our valued guests and for you to commend us on that matter is indeed heart-warming. Thank you for all your appreciation with regards to the comfortable experience you had during your entire stay. We wish to let you know that we will strive hard to maintain the positive remarks you mentioned pertaining to the room cleanliness, as well as the overall hotel maintenance in total so that we can ensure that we meet your utmost satisfaction. Our reliable staff will always be ready to attend to your needs at all times and we are committed to giving you the best service there is we can offer. We couldn’t wait to be of service to you again on your next visit to the area.
Brooklin, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

It is tucked away an a back street, but worth looking for. Hotel has been recently renovated and everything was comfy. We had a sleeper sof, side chair, desk and chair, 39 inch flat screen, fridge and microwave. Bathroom was a good size and well laid out. Everything was clean. Only snags were a split sean on the sofa, the toaster at breakfast and the a/c were broken. We opened a window and put the fan on high and it was OK. We finally got toast after 3 cycles each. Waffles were the mini 4 to a shot ones in two flavours. scrambled and hard boiled eggs were available as was sausage and fresh fruit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TraceyManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
The inspiration we get from hearing your great feedback is the driving force why we pour out our hearts into ensuring that our guests get nothing but the best service there is we can offer. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and making the effort to share to us your hotel experience. Our goal is to give you excellent service, and you can count on us to work harder than hard to attend to your needs at all times. Thank you for all your appreciation with regards to the clean room, well laid out bathroom, good breakfast selection as well as the value for your money. We certainly look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed there for one night while traveling for convenience and economy. We were assigned a nonsmoking room on the second floor, but the room smelled of cigarettes as did the entire second floor. The room also had a sofa with a rip and the chair had stains on it. We called the front desk and asked if there was a room that was truly a nonsmoking and within a part of the hotel that did not smell of cigarette smoke. The front desk was very accommodating and assigned us a new room on the first floor, which was in a better state of repair and truly a nonsmoking room within a corridor that did not smell of cigarette smoke. Beyond that the stay was good, the bed was comfortable, the room was relatively clean, and the hotel was quite. The hotel serves breakfast which was good and more than satisfying.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Valiant10000
TraceyManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write us your feedback. We sincerely appreciate the effort you gave to bring this matter to our attention, and giving us an opportunity to correct the things we may have overlooked. It has always been our goal to give our guests the best value for their money while making their stay a comfortable one to remember, we also wish to thank you for commending our helpful staff. Your satisfaction means a lot to us, and we will work harder to give you a far better experience next time. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
North Canton, OH
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel is showing its age and it has maintenance issues. There are no restaurants or shopping within walking distance of the hotel which is always handy to have when you are staying for several days. The front desk staff is friendly enough and the breakfast is standard fare for Choice Hotels. The breakfast lady is very friendly and helpful with a great smile first thing in the morning.

None of those are the reasons I won't stay here again. All of that I can deal with or enjoy but what happened when I requested additional towels and bedding from housekeeping just made this hotel an unsafe and uncomfortable place to stay for me. I got the towels rather quickly but then I asked about the bedding. I was looking for a fitted king sheet and an additional blanket. Sleeping in a bed without fitted sheets is a recipe for no sleep for me.

I was VERY surprised by the response. I was preparing to go for a walk and had already opened the upper latch and the deadbolt earlier. A man used a master key and walked into my room. No knock, no voice alert, no noise at all. He just opened the door and walked in. Lucky for me I was available for a discussion.

Spotting me he then asked what I needed. I again requested a King Sized fitted sheet and an additional blanket. He told me they didn't have any sheets like that, they were on order (surprisingly enough my husband was told the same thing by this hotel last year). Then he nodded and left without any further conversation. A few minutes later, my door opened again without warning and he walked in with a blanket. He sat the blanket on the bed and left. No conversation, no acknowledgement of me at all. One of the scariest and strangest things I've ever had happen in a Choice Hotel.

Needless to say, my door stayed locked and dead bolted for the remainder of our but it was rather scary to be in a room and have a man I hadn't seen before around the hotel just use a master key and walk in without announcing his intentions at all. We will be finding other places to stay in the area when we return to the area from now on for work which we do on a regular basis.

Room Tip: Keep the deadbolt locked on any room you are in at all times.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jean858
TraceyManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Your feedback has been of much help to us, for you have pointed out the good things and the things that needed improvement and for that we thank you. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention; we also appreciate your feedback regarding our friendly staff services. We however apologize if we fell short on some aspects with regards to ensuring that our guests would feel safe and comfortable at all times, rest assured that we will definitely assess and evaluate the concern you raised regarding the staff member’s demeanor, so that we may prevent such instance to ever happen again. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to improve more, we hope that we may again have the chance to give you a far better experience next time.

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Weatherford, TX
Reviewed April 26, 2013

When I got my credit card bill I had an extra $150 charge to the Comfort Inn in Reading, PA. I called and was told it was for a cigarette burn in a comforter. The manager was gone so they asked for my phone number and said they would call me back. I ended up calling five times because no one ever called me back. I finally got a manager the fifth time and she argued with me about the comforter, that there's no way her housekeeping staff would have put a damaged comforter on the bed and why didn't I notify the staff while I was there. If it's a tiny burn hole then maybe I and the staff didn't notice it. I don't smoke so there's no way I could have burned the comforter. Wouldn't they have smelled it if there had been a lit cigarette in the room? The manager would not budge, insisting that they check every comforter thoroughly before putting them on the bed. Then she said she would call me back with more details. I'm still waiting for the call.
So far I'm stuck with a $150 fee and I have no recourse to get it reversed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TraceyManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
We sincerely apologize if you have been put through such an upsetting experience during the time that you chose to stay with us. We are deeply troubled to hear that you’ve had an unpleasant encounter with the staff. It has always been our goal to give our clients the value for their money, while giving them a comfortable and pleasant experience. You can be assured that there will be an escalation of this issue, and that such matter will be meticulously assessed to attain its utmost resolution. Thank you for patiently waiting as we seek resolution for the issue at hand. We hope that we may be able to serve you again, and give you a far better experience next time.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

When we checked in, the blanket was soiled. The floor had food spilled around the bed and we had one set of towels. The hotel room was also very dusty. It was not in bad shape but housekeeping needs improvement .

• Stayed April 2013
TraceyManager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring this matter to our attention. We sincerely apologize for we have fell short in meeting your expectations, and we thank you for pointing out the things that we may have overlooked and giving us a chance to correct it. Your feedback regarding the hotel room cleanliness as well as the lack of towels will be noted down for assessment and shall be addressed without delay. We will certainly work harder to deliver quality service to you should you reconsider and revisit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Holiday Inn Express Reading
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing
Inn at Reading
Inn at Reading
#5 of 7 in Wyomissing

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!