“Nice clean room, watch for extra charges for room safe”

Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Southside Virginia
“Nice clean room, watch for extra charges for room safe”
Reviewed June 19, 2010

My wife and I spent four nights at this hotel in early June. The rooms were very clean and appeared to have recently been refurbished. The hotel has ample parking and a small swimming pool behind the building. Air conditioning and plumbing all worked well. There are two computers in the lobby for guests to use and the hotel is close to shopping and restaurants.
The breakfast was good with cereal, waffles, eggs, toast, bagels, and pastry. On the days we ate, the fruit selection was limited to only oranges. I think the breakfast would benefit by having some additional fruit and some sausage or bacon to go with the other food.
I do have two minor problems with this hotel: If you are near noisy people you will hear lots of noise from the hall and from adjoining rooms. There seems to be no sound proofing between the rooms. The second problem was the surprise charge for the in-room safe. I did not see any reference to this charge during booking and only found it after I had signed my bill. The front desk did do a refund after I explained that I had not used the safe. I did feel that although the charge was small, it was still a sneaky way to pad the bill. So, be sure to look at your bill before approving.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roustabout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I have stayed at this motel several times in the past few months and find it to be very accommodating. The cleanliness is exceptional and the location is very easy to find. Rooms are large and roomy and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast is good and there are both hot and cold items available. I would highly recommend this motel to all travelers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank wildbird4
New York
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Stayed here one night December 5-6, 2009. Excellent value, neat, appearing new motel, spotless. Fantastic breakfast, service, wakeup call, free newspaper, etc. Diner in front of hotel if you're still hungry. Hess gas station nearby with 24 hour convenience store. This motel was one of the top Days Inn in the United States until 2007, when Route 222 was split into business and residential routes (a new road was built) bypassing all traffic from traveling through Reading). Traffic on this business route was reduced, and the diner sold the motel. Since renovation as a Best Western, it is an amazing 'discovery' for the traveler who finds it. As far as a place to sleep, 'does the job perfectly'. amazing for the price. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed December 2, 2009

My husband & I stayed over the Thanksgiving holiday for 2 days so we could spend the holiday with family. We checked in early evening & the night clerk was very pleasant. Great updated lobby as was our room. The room was very clean. It had a refrigerator, microwave and coffeepot. A good continental breakfast which included self made waffles and instant oatmeal was included in the rate. All was excellent except that the recliner chair was not comfortable and our non-smoking room had a strong fragrance smell to it . It was very noticable when we walked in and seemed as though someone had sprayed the room with a large of amount of aerosol spray to cover up something. The scent caused us to wake up with very congested. Our heads would clear when we were out during the day. We are sensitive to these sprays. If it was done to freshen the room, I'd like to recommend the hotel stop. If it covered cigarette smoke. I'd hope there has to be a better way. If there had been no fragrance, I'd have given the BW a rating of 5 as this place is otherwise a great value.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 12, 2009

The hotel has been recently rennovated and it definitely shows. The hotel is very new, the rooms have new carpets, new beds and all the fixtures seem new too. I really liked that there were microwaves and small refrigerators in all the rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were kept very clean by the staff. Front desk clerks were helpful and polite when we needed directions. There is a free breakfast bar in the morning and the hotel is located next to a diner for added conveinence. Overall, I was pleasently surprised by the level of comfort and cleanliness in a budget-range hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We haved stayed in many places throughout the yrs from "top" name places paying top dollar to get the best....but I wish there were more Best Westerns like this around....because it is on the top of our list for one the best places we have stayed in. And the money we saved was well worth it...you know the saying you get what you pay for....not true here because we paid a low price and got beyond what we paided for...staff very helpful..fitness center is good...breakfast is simple but good saves money...rooms very clean..bathroom very clean...pool is great...restaurant outside is good...great location next to many stores and a mall and outlets...food places...hotel had great wi-fi..and a business room with computers if you do not have a laptop ... It is worth it..try it out...we searched every where looking for something at a reasonable price but we love to have a clean room also and we look at that at the top of our list because of our small children...and the BW passed the test....we stayed here for 5 nights well worth it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Vienna VA
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I stayed with my son and his baseball team, and this hotel was more than accommodating for myself as well as the team. The staff was very courteous in helping us get to the field where we were playing. They had preprinted directions to and from the fields and a list of all the great eateries that are in this area.

Also, breakfast went above and beyond. The hotel offered a hot breakfast for free. Also, me and my son could eat as much as we wanted to. We played with the Berkshire Tournament and it we cam home victorious as well as satisified with our stay. I give this hotel a 9/10. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Holiday Inn Express Reading
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Inn at Reading
Inn at Reading
#5 of 7 in Wyomissing
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing

Been to Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!