“Getaway”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Brooklyn, New York
“Getaway”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had a wonderful time on this trip. I was with my husband, a girl friend of mine, her son, and her parents who celebrated their 43rd wedding anniversary. The hotel staff was amazing. They worked to make sure we were on the same floor and that was so convenient. The room was clean and nicely decorated. My overall trip was awesome. Lots of things to do about an hour-hour and a half away. We went to hershey park which was great. We awe at red lobster and other wonderful restaurants. We had a blast. I would definitely stay at the Best Western, Shilington PA hotel again and I would recommend it to others also.

Room Tip: All rooms were great. Which ever one a traveler selects, they will enjoy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
SAGAR S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted your stay was a memorable one. As a family friendly property, we take pride in accommodating guests while they celebrate special occasions or simply the company of one another. Because of our close proximity to Amish Country & the Lancaster area, there is plenty to do, whether you're visiting an amusement park or going on a culinary adventure!

We look forward to your next visit!

Sagar V. Shah, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
NYC
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The orice was reasonable price. The Hotel rooms and lobby etc were well kept and clean. My room was quiet and i slept well. Breakfast was good. My only complaint was the TV. There was a limited choice of TV channels. NO sports channels at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
SAGAR S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review with regards to your stay. I do apologize for the limited TV channels. We are strongly considering adding a broader channel selection inclusive of ESPN packages. As a sports enthusiast myself, I do understand where you are coming from and hope to solve this problem very soon. We look forward to accommodating you the next time you're in the Reading area!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

If not for some issues with management and housekeeping, this would be a great hotel to stay at.
We stayed here with our children for two nights over Labor Day weekend. The hotel is very close to the outlets and also to many places to eat. There’s even a pretty good diner right in front of the hotel. It’s also 30 minutes away from the Amish region of Lancaster and a lot cheaper than the hotels you will find in that area.

We arrived right at check-in time. We were quickly checked-in and given a room on the fourth floor. We arrived to find a very clean room and no strange smells to be found. The bathroom was small but clean and the sink was located outside of the bathroom. This is a little odd but was not a big deal for us.

The beds were comfortable and the room also included a decent sized mini-fridge and a microwave. Our room was very warm when we arrived and the a/c unit was off. It took a little while for the room to reach a comfortable temperature but it did. The television was a bit small and not all of the channels on the hotel directory worked.

We used the pool while we let the room cool down. It’s a decent size and is only 5 feet deep. This was fine as far as we were concerned as we had our son with us. There is a small area where towels are kept. This apparently empties fast so if you don’t see any towels, you can get them from the front desk.

When we went to bed on Saturday night, my wife commented that the room was great and we should stay there as we visit that area a few times a year. The next day, the trouble started.

We left the hotel early to explore the Lancaster area. We got back at 6:30 p.m. to discover that our room had not been serviced by housekeeping! I stay in Best Western’s a lot (Platinum member of their rewards program) and this was the first time that has ever happened to me.

I called downstairs to complain. The manager on duty had me on hold for several minutes. He then got on the line and said that the housekeeping log indicated that our door was latched and that someone was in the room when they tried to get in there. This was not accurate as we had left the hotel before the housekeeping staff even started working.

We had stopped at the hotel so everyone could shower and change before going out for dinner. We had no clean towels and no soap or shampoo as these were not replenished. The manger on duty said that he would get those things to us and that they would be delivered in a few minutes. 45 minutes later, they still had not arrived. I called and there was no answer at the front desk.

Now pretty angry and frustrated, I went downstairs to confront the front desk. He said that he made a mistake and had gone to the wrong room as he thought that we were on third floor. One would think that he could have called us and said that or called to say that I could get the things from him at the front desk but no. He also told us that housekeeping was gone for the day so there was nothing he could do about the room.

Prior to going downstairs, I checked on-line and saw that the hotel had rooms available for the night. I requested that we be placed in another room. This he said he could do. It was just annoying that I was the one who had to think of the solutions.

He gave us the room next to ours so we moved our things over which only took a few minutes to do. Still, it was something that we should not have had to do. That night, this issue took a strange twist.
The rooms had survey cards for the guests to review the hotel. These are then mailed to Best Western. My wife found the one in our room and jokingly said that I should fill it out. I agreed but when I looked at it, it had already been filled out.

It was dated three months ago and the person indicated that they had stayed on the third floor. Most telling was the handwritten comment that their room had not been serviced by housekeeping once during the three nights that they stayed there. So, our experience was certainly not the first time this has happened.

Now, I do not need an advanced degree in hotel and restaurant management to figure out what happened here. The housekeeping person (probably the same person assigned to our room) discovered that card and the comments made after the guest had checked out. She then took it out of the room and mistakenly put it in our room thinking it was blank as she needed to replace one of those cards. I mailed mine in and the one of the prior guest as well.

A few comments on breakfast. The room was a bit small but it was a very busy holiday weekend so it didn’t take long for a crowd to form. On the first day, the person on duty was very good about keeping the area stocked. The second day, a different person was on duty who was much slower and seemed overwhelmed by the large number of people having breakfast.

The food was average but edible. My wife noticed that a plastic flower display was full of dust and that it hadn’t been cleaned in ages. We then noticed dust in other areas of the breakfast room as well.
At check-out, we were asked how our stay was. After I said it could have been better, the person on duty blew that off and pretended that he didn’t hear me.

Again, this could be a much better hotel. We were disappointed with the housekeeping issues and the slow response by management to it. My by chance discovery would seem to indicate that there are issues with housekeeping taking care of the rooms but it appears that not many people complained. This guest did.

I am not sure if I would stay here again or not. As I mentioned, I am in this area a few times a year
and it looked like a comfortable and reasonable place to stay. It is but there are underlying issues that can turn your stay into an issue if the housekeeping person assigned to your room can’t be bothered to do her job. It appears that this hotel is run with a skeleton staff which explains a lot…

Three stars from this reviewer considering the good with the bad as well as the issue that we had. Could have been higher..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank timman19
Central Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My parents (ages 90 and 84) and I spent one night at this hotel and found the accommodations to be comfortable and clean. Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choices and an attentive, friendly employee who kept the breakfast bar refilled and tidy.

After returning to his home in Maryland, my father discovered he had left the power cord to his sleep apnea machine plugged into the wall in his hotel room. I then telephoned the hotel and talked with Charles. Without hesitation, Charles said he would do his best to locate the cord and contact me. Within five minutes, Charles telephoned and reported he had the cord. I made arrangements with him for my aunt to pick it up since she was available to deliver it to my father the next day.

My parents and I appreciated the hospitality we received by the staff and recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments regarding your experience here. I have relayed your message to our breakfast attendants, Indira & Cheryl, along with Charles, our Director of Sales, who also appreciates the time you took to write this review. We're proud of the product we deliver to our guests each and every day. As you can tell, this reflects in the attentive & gracious customer service model we have implemented. We look forward to being your family's hotel of choice when visiting the Reading area!

Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I spent five nights at this facility. The staff was very helpful, the breakfast room was immaculate and well stocked with healthy choices. The staff greated me as they went by, the GM asked if all was OK, the business center was easy to use. The hallways were well lit and clean as was the parking lot. I will stay here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm glad our staff worked together to ensure your stay exceeded expectations. In the mid-scale hotel segment, guests expect cleanliness, a hearty breakfast, and of course gracious customer service. We take pride in offering all three, and believe our property offers the highest value to guests in the area. Thank you very much for your kind compliments, and we look forward to being your lodging provider of choice when you're in the Reading area!

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2012

BEWARE OBVIOUS MOLD PROBLEM! ....Woke up with RAIN POURING INTO THE ROOM!!! By the appearance of the patch work on the ceiling the problem is pre-existing. Where there is a water problem, MOLD usually follows quickly behind. Management did absolutely nothing, but try to minimize the problem, by saying they would send someone up to check on it! The General Manager was totally clueless as to the dangers of mold contamination and its dire consequences on a person's health esp if you are asthmatic. Since the hotel was totally booked, we had to leave to find another hotel which happened to be 40 minutes away .. The manager refused to refund my money or provide any sort of restitution for the inconvenience to me and my family.
Best Western in Shillington, PA should not be in the hospitality industry!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm sorry to hear your stay wasn't satisfactory. If there is a structure or health related concern here at the property, we simply don't cover it up as that doesn't follow our high ethical and moral standards. As a GM of a 142 room property, I'm well aware of the concerns and danger of mold, and if there ever is a leak, we work to rectify the issue in the swiftest, most effective manner. During our investigation, we found no evidence of mold, but were able to successfully solve the leak problem. Again, my staff and I apologize your stay wasn't up to par, however, we hope you will visit again so we can provide you with a superior experience.

New Palestine, Indiana
Reviewed August 8, 2012

In early August, I was part of a large group that attended an American Legion Baseball State Championship Tournament. The Best Western staff hosted a well behaved group of 3 teams and dozens and dozens of parents. I was part of media that used the same hotel and I was quite impressed with the level of service. From the quality of breakfast, the business center, clean rooms, and most of all the staff went above and beyond led by the General Manager Mr. Shah to meet and exceed our groups needs. The location was very convenient, not far from the PA turnpike. Would like to see a few more TV channels, but beyond that great marks from our group and since it was a baseball group, Best Western hit a home run for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm absolutely delighted to hear your stay went well at our property. It was our pleasure being the host hotel for the State Legion tournament, and it was apparent that the entire event was well organized. We take great pride in offering the highest value to our guests. Your satisfaction is what ultimately drives our staff to continue operating at the upper echelon of customer service. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Sagar Shah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express Reading
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing

Been to Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!