“Average Hotel”

Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel four different times and each time we leave with a complaint. The desk clerks are not very friendly. The breakfast area is extremely small so you really have to squeeze in there. It is bad if you have a family, like we do, that is heavier and requires more space. Just not enough room in there. The pool in the back is very nice. It's quiet back there which is relaxing. The rooms are nice but the beds and pillows are very hard. We are going back to this area in July and have already booked a hotel elsewhere. It's clean in the hotel and rooms were clean. Our biggest complaints are the staff, hard pillows/bed and small breakfast area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
SAGAR S, Owner at Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry we haven't met your expectations during your stays. Our property is actually newly renovated, and was converted to a Best Western Plus from a Days Inn. We eliminated a staircase which used to block up a significant amount of space in our breakfast area. On days where we have higher occupancy figures, we also open up our meeting facility to accommodate the overflow.

Our beds/pillows are actually a favorite of our clientele, along with our breakfast offerings.

I sincerely hope you will visit our property again, and give us another opportunity to present you with a great lodging experience.

Regards,

Sagar Shah

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Best Western Shillington is a pretty average hotel, i have stayed there for the past 2 weekends, and have to say there are no complaints at all, check in process is very quick and sufficient, the front desk is very accomodating, especially Jennifer, she is Fantastic!!! Also a young man who does the audit at nights, great customer service Overall between the two. The rooms are average but for a hotel in shillington pa, i didnt expect any better. Overall my stay has always been very comforting, very quiet, and i can get plenty of rest.. Only downfall is my last stay i had room 224 i believe, it was right on top of the breakfast room and the front desk and i heard plenty of talking, and smelled the breakfast in my room which was pleasant but not what i wanted at the time. Great room though...

Room Tip: My first night i stood on the top floor, it was very quiet and relaxing..
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here on October 11, 2011. The hotel seemed fine, but I awoke to find three bites on my butt. Not having any experience with bed bugs, I thought they were mosquito bites. I continued to get bites back at home, when a friend pointed out that formation (rows of three or four bites) looked more like bed bugs. We did our research, finding out what bed bugs look like, how they breed, how to remove them, etc. We eventually found just one dead bed bug in our sofa, but we continue to inspect and spray. Although we never found an infestation, I continued to get bites for well over a month after the stay.

As soon we figured out what was going on, I called the hotel. Twice I left messages for the manager, but he never called me back. On my third call the front desk receptionist told me that the hotel's lawyer informed them not to comment on the matter. I asked if I could speak to the manager, but she wouldn't let me. She eventually hung up on me. I called back, and this time the manager picked up the phone. He repeated the line about the lawyer, but I continued to ask him if he would just please talk to me. He told me that if I didn't stop this conversation, he would call the police and report me for phone harassment. He then hung up on me too.

I called Best Western's corporate customer service number and told my story. The person I spoke with filed a report and said she would get back to me. After two weeks of not hearing back from anyone, I called them again. This time I was told that according to the hotel manager, he had spoken with me. This never happened. The manager also said in his report that we never actually stayed at the hotel on October 11, but that we had stayed there in August. This is also untrue, and just plain bizarre.

Best Western's customer service department claims that they don't get involved in bed bug cases- that they merely act as an intermediary. And since the hotels are independently owned, they have no authority to check registration records to confirm or deny the hotel manager's allegation that we never stayed in the hotel on October 11.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a bed bug check before staying in this hotel. And beware that if you do find bed bugs, Best Western will take no responsibility for the matter. Overall a really bad experience. I've since read similar reports about other Best Western hotels around the country. So for me, I wouldn't stay at a Best Western again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank malkamo
SAGAR S, Owner at Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

We have an active pest control contract here at the property and perform precautionary sprays nearly twice a month. Recently, we underwent a Best Western Property Inspection & won the Director's Award, which is limited to the top 20% of Best Western's around the world. My staff and I take pride in our product and strive to present industry-leading cleanliness here at the property.

In addition, Best Western is the first hotel chain in the world to utilize UV Wands to disinfect guest rooms and public areas. If you were to stay again, you may catch our housekeepers using these nifty devices which kill 99.9% of bacteria. We use them in all areas of our guest rooms, and public areas of the hotel. Management and Head Housekeepers also inspect sheets/surfaces with black lights to find stains or blemishes that are invisible to the eye. This way, we are assured that the bed we present to our guests is flawless.

We are sorry you had a negative experience, but hope you will give our property another chance!

Warm Regards,

Sagar Shah

Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in late spring. The hotel seemed average, meaning, it had hot water, an ok bed, and no visible damage or stains. But, for whatever reason, it attracted a rowdy crowd of drunk senior citizens. We went to bed late, but it turns out the senior citizens go to bed even later. There was lot running and shouting in the hallway that night and the hotel staff did not seem to care.

The hotel's continental breakfast was neither continental nor breakfast. The coffee was an insult to coffee.

This hotel is fine when you are in a pinch, but it is certainly the kind of place where you want to pull off the comforter and make sure it doesn't touch any of your belongings.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces a highway. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the back. And...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed at this location on November 4 and 5, 2011. Our room in this large, four story hotel contained two queens. It was spacious and the furnishings/carpet were in good repair. The bathroom was in excellent condition with the exception of some damage in the wall by the tub. Room included a microwave and fridge and was a reasonable price. Staff were pleasant and efficient. Good variety of items available in the included breakfast. Only 3/4 of a mile from the 222 (222 Business) exit. A good alternative if someone is wanting to spend time at the antique centers of Adamstown/Denver. The travel time from the hotel to the Adamstown/Knauers exit is just over 5 minutes.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We chose this hotel as it was part way between Hawk mountain and Adamstown, both of which we wanted to visit so the location was good. The rooms were fine but both nights we were there the fitted sheets pulled off the King bed which was annoying. Only one elevator was working and it was extrememly slow, and the stairs were not in a convenient location. Also the ice machine on our floor was broken and we had to go up 2 floors to get some ( maybe that's why the elevator was so slow..everyone had to use it to get ice as well as go in and out of the hotel. On the 2nd day, even the ice machine on the 4th floor didn't work. Breakfast room was crowded and not cleaned all that well; I realize it was a busy weekend, but tables weren't wiped down at all.
Maybe during the week this would have been better.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at this hotel a total of 4 nights during a vacation to Pennsylvania. We chose it because the price was right and it was convenient to both Lancaster County and Reading.
The staff were very courteous and very helpful with directions, information on resources we needed, recommending nearby restaurants, etc. The free breakfast was very good and there were lots of choices. There is a laundry room at this hotel which we were grateful for. The location was quiet and there are stores and restaurants close by. This is a former Days Inn and that showed. The sink is not in the bathroom, but outside the bathroom and rather inconvenient. Some areas around the tub needed caulking and areas of the walls needed repair or painting, but that appeared to be occurring as there was some painting going on in another room down the hall. The sink was very slow to empty and that was addressed very quickly after I reported it. I would rate this hotel higher except for those issues.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the back side as we're light sleepers, but the hotel is back a ways from...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Holiday Inn Express Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing

Been to Best Western Plus Reading Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!