“Not much bang for your buck”
Review of Casa DE Tellez Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa DE Tellez Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Although I haven't been there in a while, I'm sure it hasn't changed at all! It's looked the same way since I can remember (a dark dungeon)! The interior leaves much to be desired for sure!! As far as the food goes..... I usually don't order the Mexican there because it has no flavor, they barely use any seasoning at all. I get the filet or the broiled seafood platter which are both very good but highly overpriced!! If they're going to charge $30 or more for a platter then I think sometime over the past 30 years they could've afforded to remodel a little bit. On a good note the service has always been good there when we've gone.

1  Thank Skook80

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and i took our kids out for dinner and we went here. Not impressed for the amount of our bill. I've had better and alot cheaper.

1  Thank pupsie2
Reviewed June 7, 2012

By far the best filet you will ever eat in your life. The steaks melt in your mouth with a unique unbelievable sauce that many of us have tried to duplicate, learning it was KB sauce, however we failed. The soup is delicious, ohhh so good! Being to Mexico and other places, by far the best Margaritas I've ever had! The review I read above made me comment because it was totally off base. Bottom line, if you would like an outstanding steak(Sauce is soooo yummy), soup that is so tasty, and slamming Margaritas, try Casa because the only place that might compare to the steak is Ruth Chris Steakhouse(also delicious)... The only thing that needs to be worked on is the service. Lately it has been lacking.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Went to dinner with friends who had been there before. It was a busy Saturday night but we were immediately seated without a reservation. The place features Mexican fare, steaks , and seafood. The decor is Mexican and way old but it is actually very cozy. The booths are on the small side and a tight fit for 4 people.

It appears that this place has been around forever and is very popular. I will attribute this to the fact that Schuylkill County is a gastronomical desert. There isn't much to choose from that is worthwhile.

The price range on the menu was all over the place. The steaks were all over $30 but included soup or salad and 2 veggies. If you wanted to eat Mexican you could get away much cheaper. The tossed salads were crisp but plain. The house potato soup had a tomato base and little taste. Loaded with barely cooked potatoes and not much else. The steak Asada was a butterflied filet mignon highly seasoned and topped with salsa. One of us liked it and one clearly did not and left half on his plate. A regular filet mignon ordered medium rare arrived perfectly cooked . It was a beautiful cut, 10 oz. However, it was smothered with a nasty sauce I could not place. I tried my best to avoid the sauce so I could enjoy the flavor of the steak...almost impossible. The waitress later told me proudly that the "sauce" was Kitchen Bouquet. Oh, please, don't smother a good piece of meat in something like this! It was a killer. The side dishes were a total loss. The baked potatoes were cold and simply drowned in even colder sour cream. I sent mine back and got a luke warm one. Is it that hard to serve a piping hot baked potato? Pickled beats were light on flavor and actually tough. How do you make sliced beets tough?

My wife went mexican with an enchilda and refried beans. The beans tasted like paste. The enchilada was supposed to contain cheese but there was none in sight or taste.

Why would I ever return???

2  Thank MarylandTravelnutz