“Neat place to visit, but the old women in the gift shop have to go!”

D.G. Yuengling and Son Brewery
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Pottsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: It was the year 1829 when Americans were getting used to their newly elected president, Andrew Jackson, that 23-year old David G. Yuengling, an immigrant from Wurttemberg, Germany, settled in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and started a brewery. Originally named the Eagle Brewery, today the Yuengling pride, symbolic of the American Eagle. Each Yuengling label bears the eagle trademark chosen by young David Yuengling so long ago. Previously located on Centre Street, current site of Pottsville's after only two years of operation. A new brewery was then constructed on Mahantongo Street, where operations continue today. The brewery remains family operated by Richard "Dick" Yuengling, Jr. and his daughters are being groomed as the sixth generation.
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Decided to visit the brewery on a whim while in Pa. We were given a gift card at a beverage store while buying several cases of beer to bring home.

After driving an hour we got to the brewery 15 min too late for the tour. Saturday tours are 10:00 and 1:00.

We wandered around and then went to the gift shop. What a sour group of old ladies they have working there!

We purchased a shirt for my daughter and a glass for me. The total was a little less than the gift card we were given by the Yuengling rep, so we said give it to the next customer. What a foul attitude we got from the lady at the register. You would think I wanted to have clean the restrooms. We just wanted to pass the small amount left on to another family.

They were sour to others so it seemed to be common treatment for them.

The place is nice, but the gift shop staff ruined it for us.

1  Thank wcstory

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Arriving late from our trip from Boston, we were told the tour left 5 minutes ahead of us. One of the workers said she would catch us up and did. The tour was informative and interesting. The tour guide was friendly and the location/site was amazing. Seeing the caves and listening to the history made this excursion well worth our trip! I highly recommend goind go D. G. Yuengling and Son Brewery!!!!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I visited the brewery this past Tuesday and had an absolute blast. The tour was very informative and our tour guide, Elaine, was super knowledgeable and not the least bit boring with her presentation. The tour includes a start in the bar, followed by a visit in the old storage caves, through the current brewing factory, and ends back in the bar with two samples of the beer of your choice. The brewery itself is located somewhat obscurely in Pennsylvania but the tour is definitely worth the drive. The tour includes a lot of steps and does have some extreme moments of heat.

1  Thank MSI111
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My stepdad and I went to the Pottsville area to tour the coal mine in Ashland, PA, but when I saw that we were just a half hour from the Yuengling Brewery tour, we added it to our one day excursion, and I was glad we did. I followed my mapquest directions right off I-81 and on to route 61 and right down the mountain into Pottsville, with a right turn on to Norwegian,(just pass Arch St.) then a left on to Centre, then a right on to Mahantonga and up the hill to the brewery on the left. Be sure to bring eight quarters to feed the meter, because their is no visitor parking, just metered parking on the street or in the public parking garage, at the base of the hill, which is also metered. Check the Yuengling website and be aware that the building is not handicap accessible. Looking at the front of the building, go to the right corner and begin a steep climb up a graded sidewalk to reach the first door. Signs will directly you to the gift shop, where the tour begins, which is through several rooms and up a flight of stairs. The tour is free, but times vary, so check the website and match the day you are visiting to their tour times. The tour was very informative and the tour guide, Sam, was a delight. We finished the tour in one hour and ten minutes and ended the tour in the tap room for two 6oz free samples of beer. I chose the Porter, Yuengling's darkest beer, and the Chesterfield, Yuengling's bitterest beer. Both were delicious! This fat, sixty three year old man didn't mind the one hundred and twenty steps on the tour or the steep inclines, but my eighty year old stepdad sat down on the tour whenever he could. If you are into old beer cans and bottles, you will want to allow yourself extra time in the gift shop to look at the glass display cases. The gift shop, restrooms, and tap room are side by side by side and there are benches in the hallway, just in case anyone in your group wants to wait out the tour at the last moment.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I visited this brewery, the first in America, in June and loved the tour which lasted over an hour. And, of course, we thoroughly enjoyed the beer samples at the end of the tour. Our guide gave us a complete picture of the history of this brewery, including their recent successful expansion into other east coast markets through acquisition of additional brewery capacity.