“Industry, History and Beer!”

D.G. Yuengling and Son Brewery
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Pottsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: It was the year 1829 when Americans were getting used to their newly elected president, Andrew Jackson, that 23-year old David G. Yuengling, an immigrant from Wurttemberg, Germany, settled in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and started a brewery. Originally named the Eagle Brewery, today the Yuengling pride, symbolic of the American Eagle. Each Yuengling label bears the eagle trademark chosen by young David Yuengling so long ago. Previously located on Centre Street, current site of Pottsville's after only two years of operation. A new brewery was then constructed on Mahantongo Street, where operations continue today. The brewery remains family operated by Richard "Dick" Yuengling, Jr. and his daughters are being groomed as the sixth generation.
Reviewed December 1, 2012

During a road trip I made a side trip to visit the gift shop (my daughter is a HUGE fan of Yuengling). What was planned as a brief stopover turned into an event. I found terrific stuff at an attractive range of prices, but the best part was the 2 hour tour. Such an interesting story with GOBS of history told by a very friendly employee. You don't have to be a Yuengling's fan (or even a fan of beer) to appreciate the story told here. And, if you're not a Yuengling's fan, you may become one after trying the samples at the end of the tour.
Be warned - the tour is NOT handicapped accessible and it DOES involve a lot of stair climbing.

1  Thank R S
There are newer reviews for D.G. Yuengling and Son Brewery

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I planned a trip to the Yuengling Brewery for my husband’s Birthday. Yuengling has been his favorite beer and ironically enough a few months prior I received an email from Tripadvisor for wine or beer? It had a link to the top 10 breweries and my birthday planning went into full effect. From where we are located it was only about a 2 hour drive but felt worlds apart. Not in a bad way but just different than what we are used to. It’s a small town feel with a lot of open space and not a ton going on. The brewery is located right on a quiet residential street in Pottsville. The tours take place every 50 people and we did not have much of a wait. Make sure that you wear closed shoes or they will not let you on the tour and prepared for a lot of steps. Our tour guide was very nice and allowed for us to ask questions etc. It was interesting to see the old caves and learn about the history. We loved that they allowed for pictures and we did not feel rushed during the tour. The downfall was they are not in production on the weekends so we didn't have the chance to actually see things in action. We would have liked to see them go into more specific information as to what ingredients are used during the brewing process. It is also not an interactive tour. It was neat to see the old Yuengling Ice Cream factory across the street that they used during prohibition. However, it would have been more of an added bonus to see the abandon building turned into a museum of some sort or still be utilized by the Yuengling family. Overall we had a nice time and enjoyed seeing America’s oldest brewery.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We just traveled 2 hours out of our way on a trip from Dallas to Lewisburg to tour the brewery. We were 5 minutes late to the "tour" and were turned away. Not only were we told to "just come back tomorrow" but we were cussed at as well for coming into the tap room while looking for the tour. Becca should be reprimanded if not fired, as her attitude was not acceptable and I'm sure not what Yuengling would want to represent their brand and great American tradition. I am currently at a pizza restaurant in Pottsville, drinking an ice cold Coors Light because they know how to be hospitable to out of town guests. Please do not waste your time coming to tour this brewery, as your business and brand loyalty will not be appreciated.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Being only an hour away, my friend and I decided to tour the brewery. We have been to the Cape Cod and Sam Adams breweries previously, so we had some comparisons to draw from. The tour guide was a lot of fun and the walk through was very interesting with a taste of 2 products at tours end. In comparison to the others though, I have to say that the only piece missing was the in-depth explanation of the specific ingredients used and the specific process.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am an abnormally die hard fan of Yuengling beer. What more could this fan want than a visit to where this liquid gold is made? I had a chance to go and hopped on it. Pottsville is a lovely town that is way larger and more spread out than I thought. The brewery, however, sits on a quiet residential street (with parking meters!) and is easy to miss because the historic building blend in with the old houses along the street. I was able to make it to the last tour of the day and there were about 20 others waiting along with me. Best tour ever. Wonderful guide, and I am chagrined not to remember her name. Three tastings are offered at the end of the tour, which is free. The gift shop has anything a Yuengling fan could want with plenty of bargains as well. The tour isn't rushed, and time is allowed for photos and gazing the historic wonders of America's oldest brewery. I loved every minute of it. The top of all my brewery trips, hands down.