“What a horrible experience”

D.G. Yuengling and Son Brewery
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Pottsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: It was the year 1829 when Americans were getting used to their newly elected president, Andrew Jackson, that 23-year old David G. Yuengling, an immigrant from Wurttemberg, Germany, settled in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and started a brewery. Originally named the Eagle Brewery, today the Yuengling pride, symbolic of the American Eagle. Each Yuengling label bears the eagle trademark chosen by young David Yuengling so long ago. Previously located on Centre Street, current site of Pottsville's after only two years of operation. A new brewery was then constructed on Mahantongo Street, where operations continue today. The brewery remains family operated by Richard "Dick" Yuengling, Jr. and his daughters are being groomed as the sixth generation.
“What a horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We just traveled 2 hours out of our way on a trip from Dallas to Lewisburg to tour the brewery. We were 5 minutes late to the "tour" and were turned away. Not only were we told to "just come back tomorrow" but we were cussed at as well for coming into the tap room while looking for the tour. Becca should be reprimanded if not fired, as her attitude was not acceptable and I'm sure not what Yuengling would want to represent their brand and great American tradition. I am currently at a pizza restaurant in Pottsville, drinking an ice cold Coors Light because they know how to be hospitable to out of town guests. Please do not waste your time coming to tour this brewery, as your business and brand loyalty will not be appreciated.

Wyoming, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Local treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Being only an hour away, my friend and I decided to tour the brewery. We have been to the Cape Cod and Sam Adams breweries previously, so we had some comparisons to draw from. The tour guide was a lot of fun and the walk through was very interesting with a taste of 2 products at tours end. In comparison to the others though, I have to say that the only piece missing was the in-depth explanation of the specific ingredients used and the specific process.

Kokomo, Indiana
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“The 'Yueng' To My Yang...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am an abnormally die hard fan of Yuengling beer. What more could this fan want than a visit to where this liquid gold is made? I had a chance to go and hopped on it. Pottsville is a lovely town that is way larger and more spread out than I thought. The brewery, however, sits on a quiet residential street (with parking meters!) and is easy to miss because the historic building blend in with the old houses along the street. I was able to make it to the last tour of the day and there were about 20 others waiting along with me. Best tour ever. Wonderful guide, and I am chagrined not to remember her name. Three tastings are offered at the end of the tour, which is free. The gift shop has anything a Yuengling fan could want with plenty of bargains as well. The tour isn't rushed, and time is allowed for photos and gazing the historic wonders of America's oldest brewery. I loved every minute of it. The top of all my brewery trips, hands down.

Visited April 2012
Lady Lake, Florida
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Historical Brewery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

What a piece of history lies in this brewery. The original tunnels are still there. The tour is free and well worth it. The brewery is closed on Sundays. A gift shop is there so you can get the premioum goodies. You must be 18 to taste.

Cinnaminson, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“educational & fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

tour guide was great, thoroughness of the tour and the history of the building and of course the tasting at the end.