“One my of the most unlikeable people I have ever met”

Pottsville Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Pottsville B&B and Inns
NJ
“One my of the most unlikeable people I have ever met”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have stayed here a few times while doing photography trips in the area, we are two single guys traveling and are willing to accept low standards for a cheap price.

At this point I can't stand the owner of this dump. He is one of the least friendly people I have ever met. Considering that we have actually returned to this wreck of a hotel you would think that we would get some sort of recognition when we arrive. Nothing, this guy acts as if he has never seen us before. The whole place just gives us the creeps and even with our low standards we will look elsewhere for a place to stay while in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank buggjuice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Arrived at this dump late May 8 2012 with a prepaid travelocity reservation. First - it was suggested that I booked a smoking room. The printed reservation definitely stated non-smoking. Next - a request for a $5. key deposit. Then I endeavoured to contact Travelocity, which was answered by a recording and their music channel - costing $22. on my pay-as-you-go phone. Finally, I paid the $5. for the key with abit of a receipt. Then the room #151 - cold, damp, musty stench - where the heater didn't work only the fan roared. When I rolled back the bedspread it was stained. There was no possibility of taking a chance of checking the sheet. Thankfully, my sleeping bag was in the car and I slept on top of the bedding. Next, in the washroom I tackled the moth on the wall. No craft in the coffee maker; no tissue in the holder and no hair blower in that bracket. The microwave was on the floor. Everything really grungy!. Next morning - no one in the office to return the $5 deposit - I rang the bell and waited for the the grumpy owner to answer - truly a nightmare!

Room Tip: I suspect that all the rooms are crappy. Also, I will hesitate to trust travelocity's 100% guara...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Verna C

Travelers are raving about these Pottsville hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The Pottsville Motor Inn is in terrible condition, at least room 107 is. It's the kind of degradation that takes years. Upon entry, there was a smoky/chemical odor. The compact fluorescent lights are all too dim. Acoustic tile ceilings are warped. Trim paint is badly worn. The wool blanket is so worn out it would be rejected by Goodwill. The sheets were clean though. More subjectively, it's "yucky" or "icky" or whatever word you use for a place that makes you think every time you need to touch a surface. You will want to keep your shoes on to walk on the rugs or bath floor.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank PATravelerM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here because we didn't make reservations before leaving home and it was a Pocono Raceway weekend, so there were no hotel rooms anywhere in NE PA.
This is the sort of motel that you want to put all of the furniture up against the door, because it wouldn't take much effort to get in. It's also the sort of place that advertises weekly and monthly rates, which is a good tip-off right away what kind of hotel it is.
While there were cigarette burns in my blanket, I didn't find the bathroom to be unclean, just kind of dark and out-dated.
There is free wi-fi, which did make a bad situation a lot better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MariaSilvestri
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 3, 2010

All of the reviews are so true, actually stayed at the hotel back in 2008 winter. Working as a contract nurse at the local hospital. The owner of the hotel is everything ppl say he is, rude, cheap and dirty. Everytime I checked in at the hotel it was a major ordeal, always reminding him of my co. paying for the hotel room. When in the room you basically had to de-louse it, if thats a word, disinfect, clean the fridge micorwave and basically a entire can of febreeze. The best was when I would be at work and this was in february, he would come into the room and turn off the heat, what a jerk, working all night then arrive at my ice cold room to find the heat on "off"...knowing I didn't turn it off!!!...The best was a snow storm in the hell hole town of pottsville pa, which is a city of hills. Worked all night, arrived at the hotel and not plowed of snow!!!! luckily got a nice running start and made up hill. The owner doesn't hire a plow company he snow blows the lot!!!! All comments on the hotel are true, basically a tent at the local campground would be cleaner and safer......beware...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank cpaul10
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed October 30, 2010

The motel is average. What else could you expect for $50? It was clean which was good, a bit smelly (I think because of the carpet) and the bed was comfy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband and I planned a weekend away in Pennsylvania last summer and wanted to make it a dual purpose trip -- see two of our favorite bands play together in Hershey and finally experience the former town/ghost town of Centralia. We located a town somewhat between both and ended up booking two nights at the Pottsville Motor Inn.

We pulled into the parking lot & it looked like any other low to mid priced motel from the outside. The manager on duty alerted us to a key deposit that was never mentioned anywhere when I booked through Travelocity, only $5 but it was lucky we had cash because he wasn't giving us the room without this deposit. He was rude, never smiled, and I had to mention our confirmation twice to remind him he was trying to overcharge us for the room. We did get our $5 back when we checked out.

The room smelled like the armpit of a wildebeest, likely because the window was glued shut. I couldn't walk barefoot on the carpet (and because this is a family friendly website I won't say what I thought might be all over the floor but needless to say it certainly helped contribute to the smell in the room). Worst of all was the bathroom. In the middle of the floor was an enormous purplish-gray stain that I would have bet my last dollar was their attempt at cleaning up a crime scene. No joke, I even took photos (attached) just in case a time ever came that we were questioned. They should have used more bleach. The water pressure in the shower was decent but the tub filled up quickly. The toilet wouldn't stop running and we had to shut it off at the valve.

The bed was typical for a motel bed (slightly lumpy and squeaky but not overly uncomfortable, just not home). Surprisingly the sheets felt and smelled clean and, although they were like sandpaper, I can say the same about the towels.

There was a dorm sized fridge that worked and a TV (with basic cable) which was good. The staff provided coffee packets and a coffee maker as well but the coffee maker hadn't been rinsed out for what appeared to be 6 months.

Bottom line, any positive rating I gave this place was solely due to its proximity to the things we wanted to see and do in central PA. If possible I would have given zeros to everything else. Don't waste your money or sanity on this poor excuse for a place to rest your head.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jenn F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottsville
Ramada Pottsville
Ramada Pottsville
#2 of 2 in Pottsville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Frackville (Pottsville)
Holiday Inn Express Frackville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hamburg
Comfort Inn & Suites Barnesville - Frackville
The Maid's Quarters Bed, Breakfast & Tearoom

Been to Pottsville Motor Inn? Share your experiences!