“!!!Excellent golf & spa weekend!!!”

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pocono Manor
Reviewed August 23, 2009

First of all after reading the reviews I was skeptical about visiting the Manor. I was impressed however, that management had posted responses in reply, on trip advisor whether the reviews were positive or negative.

So, I booked a weekend at the Manor through Hotwire.com and contacted management at the Manor, via email to let them know of our first time visit and made request for a King/Queen bedroom. I was impressed to receive an email confirming our reservation and that every effort will be made to ensure that my husband and I have a wonderful time at the Manor - if we needed anything to please contact the front desk. Thank you LG!!

Once we arrived we found a place to park & check in was very smooth. It took only a few minutes. My first impression of the Manor was that is was very 'Old Worldly' it reminded me of old country Inns and Bed & Breakfasts I have been to in England. The Foyer was very inviting - LOTS of space to sit and read on comfortable love seats/ couches. There opposite the elevators you can get free cups of Starbucks coffee. (which is a nice touch since there are no coffee pots in the rooms)

I had read that there were musty smells at the Manor - I did not smell any musty smells. I thought it was fresh and very clean. The only place that smelled musty was the staircase, I haven't been in any building where the staircase smelled nice.

To my suprise we were given room 215 & 217 with a complementary bottle of Champaign & Chocolate covered strawberries which were divine! We also had a welcome card from Management hoping we have a wonderful stay and If we needed anything or were unhappy to let front desk know and they would be happy to help. (So for all those people who were unhappy with their visit and just complained, perhaps it would be advisable to let management know of your issues, even request speaking to a manager if the young girls at the front desk are not able to help with your requests)

We were on floor 2 - Room 217 was very spacious and roomy. It had a double bed and 2 couches one of which was a pull out bed. The living area was very large great for families with children. TV, desk, chair, a huge walk in closet and pleasant furnishings decorated the room. The bathroom was very spacious. The view was of the pool which was really nice!

Room 215 was smaller it had a queen bed, which was very comfortable, a vanity table & chair, lamp & table, TV, Armoire, closet, iron & board and hairdryer. Bathroom was very nice too. Very clean, very cozy - nothing to complain about at all. I have to say that some people are just plain inconsiderate & noisy in the hallways- we just switched up our air conditioner for white noise and we slept just fine.

We went to the Spa and had a couples massage which was wonderful and we will be back - thanks 'M' you were the best masseuse ever! We used the steam room complimentary with a spa service. The showers were great! 5 shower heads which really hit the spots! People who have been there, will know what I mean! If you check on the Manors website you will get a list of the prices. Make sure you go to the 'specials' as you will be able to get 10% off each service.

My husband & I love to play golf together & the Golf course at the Manor was great & very reasonably priced. Cart only - no walking, which is a good thing because there are a lot of par 5's. On the first day we played on the West course, which was just o.k. The next day we played on the East side. For some reason the guys at the clubhouse tried to get my husband & I to play the West side again, saying that it is difficult for women as there are a lot of par 5's - I can hit a 200 yard drive :). What a difference, nicer tees, fairways & greens. Some holes were quite challenging. The 7th hole was only 77 yards but fun to play! We will definitely be back up again to play there. (Women golfers - don't let the guys put you off the East side!)

The food at the Manor is excellent. The Lamplighter Lounge & Bar is open the latest out of the three restaurants. Have to try the fish and chips - excellent. We were able to take food up to our room. We did not have time go to the Exchange but it had good ambiance and looked very nice. We ate in what looked like a ballroom and the roast beef was great, the clams not so great.

We didn't get chance to use the pools or the gym. The outdoor pool certainly looked great we just ran out of time. The ground floor has a video gaming room, gift shop, postoffice with the old fashioned post office boxes and the history of the Manor.

Thank you Pocono Manor for a lovely stay!! We will most certainly make you our new hideaway place to visit! See you soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
MgmtPMI, Director of Operations at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2009

Thank you very much for posting such a lovely review. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay and do hope you will return soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed August 23, 2009

Our family which included my husband and I, grandparents, our children and their families which included our grandchildren stayed from 08/14/09-08/16/09. We stayed in the main lodge which had surprisingly two bathrooms in the room. Definately a plus with children. We enjoyed walking around the hotel and enjoying its charm which you don't get from the smaller, newer motels nowadays. The breakfast buffet was great every morning. The outdoor pool was nice and so was the great movie room! The only thing that we didn't get was the room made up but I didn't mind just getting clean towels myself and having the garbage taken. That was all we needed for a weekend stay. We didn't have enough time to enjoy all the other amentities so hopefully next time we will. We found the staff there to be the nicest and hardest working people we ever saw at a resort. I also would like to mention that one of the staff, Caroline went way beyond her duties to make our stay comfortable. She is an asset to your resort and should be commended! We also enjoyed the lounge which makes you feel very comfortable. I have a feeling that with a few updates and renovations that do not take away from its charm will make it an outstanding resort in the Poconos!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for posting such a nice review! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. With a historic property like ours, we always have a new project taking place and strive to maintain the historic charm. Thank you again and I do hope you will visit with us again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2009

I called one evening to ask some questions about the accomendations and prices of a 2-doublebed room and was quoted $134.00 per night, but couldn't decide at that moment. So I called the next evening to make reservations and was then quoted $142.00 per night. When I questioned the lady why the prices differed on a weeknight, she didn't know why, but her comment that , "the girl I spoke to before didn't know what she was talking about" should have been my clue.

I was asked if I preferred the room with the Mountain View in the Tower or the Deluxe 2-Doublebed room in the Main area, both were the same prices. I was told on a clear day, you can see for 50miles, so of course, I chose the Mountain View. Upon our arrival, the girl at the desk mentioned our room would be located in the main area, so I asked why we were not getting the Mountain View room I had reserved. Her comment was "there are none available". After checking further, she sent us off to the Tower, which we assumed had a mountain view.

So we went off to our room #285. This is a very old facility, the lighting was very poor, had a ceiling light with what appeared to have about a 40watt light bulb, 3 lamps, of which only 2 worked. The room was very small, but on the website, they appear much larger. Actually, the website lists their "large, well appointed rooms", what a disappointment. The real kicker was when I opened the curtains and what did I see? Not 50 miles of mountains, but the roof of the hotel and a stone chimney.

We continued to the bathroom, which was also listed on their website as "large" bathrooms, but it was small and outdated. No vanity, just a small sink with a small mirror above it, no lights above the mirror, just a ceiling light, and no fan or vent.

I then noticed there were only 2 towels and wash clothes, but we had made reservations for 3 people. So, I called the desk asking for another towel and wash cloth, and it was delivered to the room quickly.

The big annoyance was taking a shower. I must say, it had nice water pressure, but the tub was clogged and backed up as the shower ran on. Standing in my own dirty water isn't exactly what I enjoy.

The faucet in the sink leaked, tried turning it off, would trickle continously, and the toilet was leaking. So, I called the front desk to let them know of the clogged tub and the leaks. We were told they would have engineering come up the next morning to fix it. We retired for the evening to listen to slamming doors throughout the hallway, for several hours.

Before leaving the next morning, I stopped at the desk and asked whether we did have a mountain view room, her reply was "Yes". So I asked why all we could see was a roof and chimney, I was informed that we were located on the left side of the tower, which didn't have quite as good of view as the right side of the tower.

So, we leave for the day, and upon returning back to the hotel, just wanted to take a shower and go for dinner, but of course, the tub was still clogged and there were again only two clean towels and one washcloth. After getting my shower, I called the desk and complained. They were sending towels and engineering up right away. We had left the room momentarily, to return and find a gentleman with a plunger in his hand, telling us the sink was not blocked. We advised him that it was the tub that was clogged. He then started plunging several times, would run water into the tub and after a few minutes, said it was fixed. I also mentioned to him about the leaking sink faucet and toilet and his comment was "we have a 200,000 gallon water tank and we don't worry about some runnning water".

My granddaughter proceeded to the shower, and it was still clogged, so she was standing in about a foot of dirty water. I called the desk again, now they are sending engineering again, and offered to bring another room key(#213) so my husband could go to this room to shower, which he did. No problems with that tub:)

We go to dinner and engineering is to return with a snake and acid to open the drain. When we get back from dinner, we check the tub and it is still blocked. At this point we are tired and very frustrated, so we retire for the evening, since we are leaving the next morning.

But, it was not over. Some guests must have checked in above us, because the next morning at 6:00, it sounded like several kids running, jumping off the bed, screaming and fighting while someone was flushing the toilet and showering, this was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at. Occasionally, you will hear people walking up and down the halls or sometimes noise in the room next to you, but nothing from the rooms above. This continued for at least 2 hours and then the slamming doors started again. So much for the stress-free, relaxing mini vacation we were so looking forward to.

So, I took my morning shower, standing in my own dirty water (again). We packed and checked out. The girl at the desk never asked how we enjoyed our stay, nor did she smile, was not friendly. I would never return to this hotel. They are lacking parking spaces for the facility, we had to park along the road at the entrance. My entire experience at The Inn at Pocono Manor was very disappointing and stressful and way over priced for the outdated facility. However, the lobby was very nice, so your first impression when you walk into the facility is very pleasing.

The rooms are very clean and they have a very nice indoor pool.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. In reading your review, I was extremely disappointed that Engineering did not handle your tub concern efficiently and our desk agents are instructed to always ask a guest how they enjoyed their stay. If you would allow us the pleasure of visiting again, please contact me directly and I will see to your arrangements personally - cbrush@poconomanor.com

Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stayed at the Inn last year on Business - I wish I could have stayed longer to say the least.

As I entered the estate - I drove down tree lined streets with beautiful foliage I could tell was waiting to burst into the bright colors I see on all of the pictures on their website.

To me there is something special about a property that has the history of the Inn at Pocono Manor. Although it may have a few parts here or there that are not nice and shiny new, I really do prefer that over a cookie cutter hotel that has no character.

My room was comfortable - especially the bed. The shower was hot, the carpet was nice, the view was Outstanding!

The food was excellent - I enjoyed the atmosphere and after I went down to the pub....I was a bit disappointed to see Sinatra wasn't sitting there playing the Piano - but it had that type of atmosphere - you could tell a lot of business has been done in that lounge over a nice glass of scotch through the years.

I didn't get a chance to golf or do any of the activities because I had to leave too quickly - but I plan on returning with my Family in the future as the Inn at Pocono Manor is truly
my favorite type of Resort - a destination in itself.

I very much recommend a stay here and think as long as you understand you are getting a hotel with a lot of character, you are going to be very happy.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
MgmtPMI, Director of Operations at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2009

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Since you have stayed with us, we have many great changes - added more dining options, revamped our Rod & Gun services and more! I do hope your schedule will allow you to visit again.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

My kids and I stayed at the Inn for two nights. Based on the reviews, I wasn't expecting much, so therefore I wasn't disappointed. Coming from Florida (the land of amazing hotels) it's hard to find hotels that beat what we have here. But our mission centered on sight seeing so we didn't hang out at the hotel anyway. The surrounding environment is wonderful. I understand that the Inn was recently purchased and that the new owners are sinking some much needed money into improvements. The potential of this hotel is outstanding if someone has the deep pockets to make it happen.

We did go clay shooting with Mike and Charlie at the Gun Club. They were a lot of fun and I would definitely go shoot again. My boys had never shot before and had a blast. We're off to buy shot guns now

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
MgmtPMI, Director of Operations at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2009

Thank you for staying at The Pocono Manor and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are a historic property and have been welcoming guests for more than 100 hours. With that said, property improvements are continuous and I do agree, the potential is huge! I do hope that in the future you will visit us again as there is always some new and improved at the property as well as something new and fun for families to enjoy. I will share your nice comments with our Rod & Gun Staff. We hope to have you visit with us again!

Reviewed August 16, 2009

We checked in on Aug 15 saturday and checked out sunday.

1) The parking lot was full due to a wedding reception. They dont have plenty of parking space so we had to park all the way at the back on a dirt road.

2) We went to the front desk to check -in and was told that one of the elevators was broken. There's another elevator working but since there's a wedding event you have to wait in line to get in the elevator so we had no choice but to take the stairs. Our room is on the 4th floor so we had to take very long flight of stairs.

3) Around 3am we were awaken by people having party in another room and watching tv that was turned up loudly. They could be guests from the wedding who decided to extend their celebration in their room. Security knocked on there door and that kept there volume low but the noise already disrupted our sleep.

4) The other reviewer is right too when he said the hallway smells.

In fairness, the staff was friendly and helpful plus there was a wedding reception going on but the elevator broken on a day your expecting lot of people is unacceptable. Overall not a good experience for me.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at The Pocono Manor and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear your experience was less than enjoyable. Summer weekends are busy and our mountain location can make additional parking a challenge and I can understand your disappointment. With regard to the elevator, I agree that an out of service elevator is not unacceptable. Of course we have a service contract and the elevators are maintenanced regularly. But like elevators everywhere or our vehicles, sometimes they break unexpectedly and always at an inconvenient time. With regard to the noise, I am glad to hear that our Security team immediately responded and handled the situation. Again, I do regret that you were not pleased and do hope that you will allow us a future opportunity to provide you with a great stay! Please contact me directly at cbrush@poconomanor.com and I will personally tend to all of your future arrangements.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

Stayed here with a bunch of friends for a weekend getaway and had an awesome time. The hotel is over a century old and full of charm! We stayed in a suite which was very spacious and other rooms were decent in size. There are alot of lounge areas, a bar and a cool poker room/library. The views were amazing and exactly what we needed coming from NYC. They even had a theater which, sadly, we weren't able to take advantage of as there is just so much outdoor activities available around, including golfing, ATVs, horseback riding, fishing, etc. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, The Exchange, and their steak was great! The wings at the bar is a MUST-try! The hotel staff couldn't have been anymore accomodating. Also had a massage at Laurel Spa which was fantastic! I will definitely go back. I'd recommend this place for anyone seeking a quick and relaxing weekend!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank misspintsize

Thank you for visiting with us at The Pocono Manor and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Its always great to learn of our guest's experiences. We do hope that you will visit with us again - with each change of season, there are new and different things to do at our Resort and in the region. And I would have to agree with wings - our guests love them (so do I)!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pocono Manor
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!