“Ski getaway with the kids”

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pocono Manor
mount sinai
“Ski getaway with the kids”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We traveled as a family of four the last week of February.
We got there on a Weds and the hotel was empty. My husband was nervous because I had booked it and it is a very large place to see no one in the lobby. My 9 year old loved the lobby because it looked like "grandma's nursing home" ---there is a lot of floral and it is a little busy.
When we checked in, we had an issue with our room which the gentleman at the front desk fixed for us. He didn't do it with a smile and seemed a little annoyed but because the hotel was "empty" he would have had a hard time explaining why he couldn't change our room. We had a nice queen room on the second floor. Decent size with a small bathroom--view of the parking lot. It was very clean and we used the pool. My kids loved the part of having to walk to the pool as they felt they were in the lower levels of the titanic to get there. The hotel was very large and had a game room as well as two restaurants. We did order take out from the bar restaurant (can't remember the name) on two different nights and ate in our room. The kids loved it, but $12 for a kids meal was a little steep so we had to improvise. It seems as though this complaint happens often because the bartender showed us options to get around this. (I have never seen kids meals for $12 before and this was a main turn off for us) The beds were very comfortable. We had scheduled the dog sledding on the property but due to different issues with the dog sledding folks we had to reschedule dog sledding for late in the afternoon the day we were scheduled to leave so we spoke to the hotel about extending our stay by one night. This threw us into the weekend and the hotel was close to sold out. They were able to accomodate us, but we had to move to a smaller room on the 7th floor in the tower. The view was wonderful, but the room was really, really, really tight for a family of 4. It made the bathroom in the queen room feel like a palace and our luggage took up a lot of the room.
We called down to the front desk and asked for additional pillos and 2 luggage racks as there were none in the room. We left for the evening and came back to 1 luggage rack and "do it yourself" pillows. I have never ever, had pillows dropped in our room in a bag. We opened the bag to find the pillows without pillowcases. There were pillowcases in the bag and we had to put them on ourselves. It only took 30 seconds, but put a very bad taste in our mouths. We called down to the front desk again about the luggage cart and another one was promptly brought up.
Overall, the price is right. The hotel isn't perfect, but it does have some plus' including being really close to camelback, having snowmobiling on the property as well as dogsledding.

Room Tip: We ended up in a tower room when we switched rooms which are all double rooms, but the view is great...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sharon s
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your review and especially the 4 circle rating. I can honestly say this is the first time I have had our lobby described as “looking like Grandma’s nursing home”. The in-door pool is a nice amenity to have especially with young children. We do not actually get many complaints from our guest’s about our children’s menu and we train all of our staff to assist our guests in any way, including our bartenders. I do apologize for how you received your service requests and I have spoken with our housekeeping supervisor and we are going to review with our housekeeping department guest service requests and procedures.

I’m so glad you had a chance to experience the dog sledding as it is truly a wonderful activity. Also that is a terrific view from the tower rooms. I hope to see you back here again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stay here for a day and the view of the property from outside is pretty nice. The property offers a lot of activities and hence your primary purpose of stay is activities, then it is worth staying. Otherwise the rooms were ok and looked kind of wore down. Had an issue in the bathroom which was promptly taken care of. The property provides no room service and hence if you need anything you have to do it yourself. Overall, I feel the property needs some sort of rennovation and is a bit overpriced!!

Room Tip: Try to book room with view of the mountains!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for your review. I agree that the view is pretty nice and we do offer a lot of activities. Even though we do not offer room service we do offer take-out service at both our restaurants. I am sorry your accommodations did not meet your standards on this particular stay. We offer 192 recently renovated guest rooms in the main Inn but we also offer accommodations adjacent to the main building as well. Those guest rooms are located either in the Laurel or Spruce buildings. They have not recently been renovated but they are clean and comfortable. Our practice is to first sell out the main inn and then offer the remaining rooms at a discount. Our standard practice is to inform prospective guests that the only remaining guest rooms are not in the main inn and that they have not been recently renovated. I’m not sure how the booking process went for you but if you would like to call me to further discuss I would be happy to hear from you.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Having read reviews was looking forward to staying here for the weekend. Arrived late fri night, Rebecca at front desk was lovely. Got to the room and there was garbage in the waste paper baskets, a layer of dust on every surface, spots on faucets in bathroom... Had obviously not been touched during cleaning... Back of bathroom door was disgusting. Was too tired to call down and just went to sleep. Called front desk this morning, explained the state of the room and was very nice about it... Saying I thought housekeeping should be aware. Didn't want to be moved, didn't want a refund. Nothing. Just letting them know room was dirty. Leave for the morning, come back, beds were made, garbage was taken... Bathroom sink not touched again by housekeeping, layer of dust still everywhere. Will not complain again and will stay our night tonight... But will obviously never return and advise others the same. For the price one would at least expect a decent level of housekeeping. Seems to be too much to ask for.

• Stayed March 2014
I’m very distressed by your review. I am going to speak with our executive housekeeper about your comments. As a team from management through to our line employees we have been trained and expected to do our jobs to the best of our abilities. In your situation there was obviously a breakdown in communication and service. I apologize for that and I would appreciate you calling me to further discuss your experience and hopefully we can once again gain your confidence that we can provide you with a quality stay.
Douglas, MA
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Found this place last minute while in town. They had cookies waiting for us, or so we thought. It was potpourri.

They let us check out the rooms before we bought. The rooms were fine. Clean and basic. Shower worked well ;)

Would come back. Good value for the dollar.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I’m glad you felt you received good value for the price you paid. Our goal is to offer all of our guests a great product and also to deliver great value as well. I’m sorry about the cookies but the next time you make your reservation please let me know so I can have some of our delicious cookies waiting for you upon your arrival.
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised. It was wonderful to have so many activities right on the grounds. We never left the property. It was great for a weekend getaway with my husband. The room and bathroom were not that big but the decor was nice. I expected the rooms to not be so big since the Inn is a Historical building. We truly enjoyed the location of the Inn and the fact that it was historical. The views surrounding us were very nice. The staff was very pleasant. We would definitely hope to come back and consider coming with our four children and stay longer!

Room Tip: If you stay in the tower you get the best views of the mountains.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice review. I agree with you that with so many activities here at your fingertips you can just park the car and forget about it for the weekend. Back in 1902 when the Quakers decided to build a grand resort here in the Poconos they wanted a great view and WOW did they get it. We look forward to having you here again as our guest.
Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much. I was traveling with my parents and teenage daughter. The inn was very quaint. The food was absolutely 5 star. There was many activities and we wish our stay was longer. The staff was extremely accommodating and were quick to take care of the small requests that we made.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna L
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for the great review. These are the kind of reviews we continually strive for and believe me the entire staff thanks you as well. We look forward to your return visit.
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The bathrooms were very tight. The breaksfast in the morning was outstanding. There were lots of choices. Service was great, too. Kids enjoyed the pool. We went to Camelback snow tubing which was so much fun for all ages. Afterwards be sure to visit the Brewery. We would definately go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sounds like the perfect get-away. Thank you for your kind review and you are correct that there is so much to do in the Poconos. I’m not sure which guest room you stayed in but normally we do not hear that our bathrooms are very tight. Next time you make your reservation please contact me and we can look into getting you a bigger bathroom as we do offer varying room types.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pocono Manor
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!