“A Wonderful Weekend Away”

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pocono Manor
New York, NY
“A Wonderful Weekend Away”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I recently visited the Poconos for a weekend away from the city. I stayed at the Inn at Pocono Manor and had a great time! My room had a great view, and there were a lot of nice sitting areas all over the hotel. There is a ton to do on the resort--I rode on an ATV and had a blast! The outlets were near by, and there is a full-service spa steps from the hotel's lobby. They had a tasty hot breakfast buffet and the staff was all very friendly. I found the place very peaceful and I would definitely reccommend it to others looking for a quiet weekend away.

• Liked — The pool
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
nj
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I checked on line for all hotels in the Poconos as this was where my family wanted to go, When I read the reviews to my family we then visited their site and decided to go anyway as the property\\and hotel looked fine and met our budget. I must say after readingthe reviews I think some people stayed at a different Inn. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food was great. We were offered a trail map for hiking and a list of other choices for keeping us busy We all had a very nice long weekend and would go back again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
ny
Reviewed June 30, 2008

If you like: food poisoning, dirty swimming pools, lost reservations, unknowledgeable staff, and thin walls, then this is the place for you! The hotel staff didnt recommend their own resturant, but with the choice being that or a steak house 20 minutes away, we ate in-house and were sorry. The staff also didnt seem that surprised that I got food poisoning from the meal which was woefully undercooked (avoid the salmon). The service at the resturant was also terrible, it would take many many more complimentary glasses of champagne to overlook that fact. The front desk staff didnt really know much, questions were often met with looks of confusion... we spent an hour looking for hiking trails that didnt really exist and were eventually just told to go to the nearest state park, gee thanks. They should have put the bellman behind the desk, he was the only helpful one around. They also lost my reservation completely, even though it was booked directly through their own website. Then when booking a room, they asked me what the charge me. (they didnt know the rates for their own rooms) That was ok with me though. The pool was dirty and not maintained, so dirty that a guest ended up fetching the strainer to clean it up. Inside, it was an old hotel, in need of some remodeling and fresh paint. There were a few good views, but that was all.

All in all, the only saving grace was that my stay was free.... because I got food poisoning and was throwing up half the time. Some of the activities might be worth going for, e.g. golf, the spa, etc., but dont go for the stay... or the food; you'll regret it. How this place has lasted since 1902, I have no idea.

• Liked — the view, kind of.
  • Disliked — everything else.

Travelers are raving about these Pocono Manor hotels

Ridgewood, NJ
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I will start off by stating the two good things about the Inn. First, the room was relatively clean. Second, the views were beautiful (we were on the 6th floor). Next the bad things, and there are A LOT....The musty and damp smell of the entire place is disturbing. The restaurant is in a bad state and felt like a creepy nursing home. The food was tasteless, overpriced and though we ordered an appetizer and entree, all the food was served at once. The hotel was the loudest hotel we have ever stayed in. Doors slamming all night, drunk people shouting in their rooms and up and down the halls until well after 3am. My husband and I did not get more than an hour of uninterrupted sleep. Breakfast was like being at a bad summer camp. We were seated at a table with another couple who we did not know though there were about 20 other unoccupied tables. The buffet was below average. There were kids running around and yelling. The staff was very unpleasant during every interaction we had and seemed to know nothing about the hotel. While we love the scenery in the Poconos, I would rather go camping than return to this establishment. It is in a sad, sad state....

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Everything but the views.
1 Thank tcdf080305
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I would have to agree this is one terrible spot!
I have had the "pleasure" of staying here twice now and both experiences reflected the quality of this property.

The Poconos are beautiful and the hotel has great drive up appeal. I am sure the hotel was in it's heyday in the 1940's but
it is a pity that nothing has been updated in years.

Rooms are small, dark and have that OLD musty smell to them.
My most recent visit had the the previous guests dirty laundry and beer bottles in the drawers. No clock or garbage can in the room. When this was brought to the attention of the staff nothing was done till the next day. They have "kids" working the front desk and really don't know the hospitality business.

The pool was out of order and the restaurant does not do room service??

I would stay at the Split Rock resort if I have to return in the future.

• Liked — The mountains
  • Disliked — The hotel itself.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank dfwbob
long island, ny
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I would not recommend this place to anyone. I was so disappointed and paid $600 for three nights. Nothing to do except the pool. You have to walk down a long flight of stairs to get to the pool after walking through the help's quarters. I never disliked a place as much as this and I have traveled all over the world.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the entire place was old and stinky with nothing to do and no one around to assist you.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank suelongisland
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We got a real good deal on this hotel: $360 for 3 nights including breakfast at Memorial Day.
We participated in the CSD. Let say that we had two stays at this hotel over this week-end: the first one and the last one. The Wolf Lodge, down the hill, costs nearly 3 times more but it worths the spending. The Pocono Inn rooms are comfortable depending on what room you get.

Our stay started very badly. In the first room that we got there was already somebody :) Second room was in face of the elevators with a Mickey Mouse bad. I think it was a sort of employee room. Third room was descent however the toilet was leaking. Fortunately we could easily close the faucet for the night. In addition we had to wait nearly 3 hours to get some towels in the room. I ended up using my car cleaning towels to dry myself after the shower. By the way, neither the air conditioning nor the heating was working.
I think we got one of their upscale rooms so believe those who slept in the elevator room had hard time ... :)
In fact I have heard many clients complain about their rooms.

Then to forget this bad adventure we decided to have a dinner outside. Manor Inn advised us to go down the hill to "Burger steakhouse". That was a bad move too. Let’s say that likely this is the filthiest steak house on the East Coast or maybe in the States.

Finally we returned to the hotel at 10PM and had a couple of drinks at the lobby bar. The lobby bar is a funny place to be no matter the time of the day. Drinks are inexpensive and they have outstanding 5-7 parties. The bar helped us to forget about the many issues that we had with the rooms.

Breakfast is decent and tastes good. Our convention food was eatable too. Nothing to complain about the food. In fact the food is above average compared to other convention hotels. But don't expect something fancy. The service is very good and quick. Employees work hard in the dining room. Once early in the morning I had to go into the kitchen. First impression I had that I was in warehouse storage or something like that. The entire kitchen was upside down. Pans on the ground, dishes everywhere, food left over on the tables ... and the floor looked like a garage floor that hasn't been cleaned for a while. So this is the story of the kitchen behind the scenes.

The hotel is well located. There is a factory outlet just 10 min ride in the Wolf Lodge's direction.
The Pocono speedway is 15 min ride.

Let me tell you that this hotel is very inexpensive. However don't imagine that you get a deal.
The infrastructure of this hotel is completely run down. Pool is out of order. IT and booking system is outdated. Kitchen is filthy and looks like a junk yard. Employees are hanging outside or chatting in the back ...

I think the management is waiting for a fire to finish the hotel off ...

• Liked — Unexpensive hotel, Great 5-7 parties, Good location
  • Disliked — Filthy and run down hotel, difficulty to get a descent room, Front desk,
  • Stayed May 2008
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Hotel M, Mount Pocono
Hotel M, Mount Pocono
#4 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!