“Booking this hotel was a mistake.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pocono Manor Resort & Spa

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pocono Manor
Philadelphia
“Booking this hotel was a mistake.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Inn at Pocono Manor bills itself as being a great resort with a 100 year history, which was a deciding factor when I decided to book a romantic get-away weekend to celebrate my girlfriend's 30th birthday. Unfortunately, 100 years is a long time, and it shows with this facility.

Here's the basic rundown:

-The walls are paper thin. We originally had a room on the first floor, but quickly requested a different room when we realized we could hear everything our neighbors were saying next door (apparently, they had a puddle in their bathroom and they were upset). We were moved upstairs to the third floor, but realized we traded one bad location for another. From my room, I could hear everybody coming down the hallway past my room, as well as people going down the staircase located just down the hall. I could hear all conversations as clear as day, and I could have easily joined in with some (I didn't, because I didn't want to be rude or scare anyone). Every time a door shut or someone sneezed, I could hear it from my room. The level of noise kept us awake all night with people still moving around and talking well past 2am.

-When you turn on the heater in the room, it sounds like someone is running a vacuum cleaner next to your head. There's no in-between. It's either off or running at full capacity.

-The room and the furniture look like that extra bedroom your grandmother put together in the attic with whatever furniture she had lying around. The flat screen TV was nice, and it was good to see the hotel make that token effort to acknowledge the 21st century.

-No exhaust fan in the bathroom. Not a huge thing, but that's going to hurt the facility over time.

-For two nights, it cost me a little over $350. This is above the usual amount I spend on a hotel (I usually look at 90-125, based on where I am or what I'm looking for), but I decided to splurge because it was supposed to be a great place. For less money, I could have stayed in a much nicer hotel with proper amenities that didn't look like the kind of place where Scooby Doo and the gang were going to solve their next mystery. I don't expect perfection, but I expect above average lodging when I pay above average pricing.

Everything was so bad at the hotel that we made the decision to leave a day early, which is not how we wanted to our supposed romantic weekend away to go.

I will say a few things in the hotel's defense:

-When I made my concerns known to the management concerning the noise levels, they did acknowledge the complaint and offered amenities like free champagne and free breakfast. I turned both of these down because I felt they didn't solve the immediate problem: we can hear everything happening on our floor and in the stair well.

-The hotel refunded my money for both nights, which was very nice of them. However, I would've rather had a nice weekend away in a great hotel where I didn't feel compelled to cut my trip short and ask for my money back.

In short, they have a nice staff with management that's willing to work with you, but the facility is completely outdated and should be avoided. Don't make the mistake I made.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
2 Thank bcn115
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
I truly regret your unsatisfying experience during your recent stay. You emailed me the night of your arrival at 5:03PM expressing concern with noise. Although I was off-duty and travelling, I was able to quickly alert my staff. We offered you a room amenity and/or breakfast – both of which you denied and then hung up the phone on one of my associates. We were quite busy and unable to relocate your room again. Therefore, I am not sure what we could have done for you. Obviously, if a guest has noise concerns late at night or due to excessive behavior (cursing, yelling, etc), we have security on hand to handle. But, we cannot give other guests a difficult time at 5pm simply because they are enjoying themselves or walking to other areas of the Resort. In the future, regardless of where your travels take you, please do inquire prior to your arrival on the business levels at the hotel. We certainly would have been forthright with you as it was a busy holiday weekend and we are a family friendly resort. I believe that most of the hotels and the resorts in the area were also quite busy. With regard to the room furniture and décor, I certainly do not understand your interpretation. As others have reported on Trip Advisor, our rooms our newly renovated. Relative to your HVAC concern, I must agree with you that some of our units are very loud. We are in the process of inspecting each and every unit to determine if repair/replacement is necessary. Again, I do regret that in spite of our efforts to assist and our financial adjustments for you, we were unable to improve your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Yonkers, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Booked this inn as a little getaway for me and my boyfriend so we can go snow tubing at camelback for his birthday. The woman checking us in was very pleasant as she informed us that our room wasn't ready yet. She told us we can grab something to eat in the bar lounge area. The food in the lounge was terrible but the service was good. Our room was ok, a little tiny but clean. We stayed in room 308 which seemed haunted to me. I was woken up every few hours by an eerie feeling of someone standing above me as my boyfriend snored away next to me. People walking in the hallways sounded like they were coming through our door. And I could hear the conversations from the other room next door as well. Needless to say I didn't rest at all on our mini getaway. Morning buffet was ok, better than the appetizers we had in the lounge. Raymond was a great waiter and made us feel very welcomed. The inn itself is outdated and had a musty smell. But the views are amazing and the outside property was beautiful. We decided to check out the indoor pool. The indoor pool was freezing cold. When we called to see if something could be done the front desk sent a maintenance man down to check. He informed us the pool was 81 degrees and nothing else could be done. The pool was no where near 81 degrees. They were lucky if it was 50 degrees! This upset me because the indoor pool was one of the main reasons I picked the hotel. I don't believe we will be returning to the inn anytime soon which is upsetting seeing that it is a great location and the staff is very pleasant. Maybe if they updated and fixed some of the flaws we will return.

The inn is very close to camelback about a 10 min drive.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the noisy elevator
5 Thank toni1210
Thank you for sharing your experience. I regret that you were not happy with the bar appetizers, I hope that we offered to get something else for you. With regard to the indoor pool, I have checked our temperature logs, which show that the temperature was steady in the low 80’s. The room temperature of the indoor was in the 70’s and the pool water wouldn't be less than that. I am a bit puzzled with these concerns. This time of year, the indoor pool is very popular, and being very busy, I did not receive any other complaints about the water temperature. Thanks for your compliments of Raymond. I will be sure to pass them along to him. We are a historic resort and as such, we have some flaws with the sounds of footsteps. I regret that you were not thrilled with your stay – weekends are quite busy for us. I do hope you will allow us to be of service in the future. If you are concerned with how busy the hotel would be during a certain time, please do not hesitate to ask.

Travelers are raving about these Pocono Manor hotels

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my first review on tripadvisor, and I joined just to write this and share my experience. I stayed at the Pocono Manor back in October with my parents and small dog. I was happy to find a pet friendly hotel in the area, and the pictures made the place look beautiful.

We were very disappointed in the room. The theme of the weekend quickly became..."This place is no Marriott!". We stayed in the Spruce Lodge, in a room that smelled musty and moldy. The bathroom was dingy and looked like something from the 50s. The sink was elevated on metal poles and there was no vent or window in the bathroom. That means all the moisture from the shower is just going into the walls and adding to the smell! Also, for some really strange reason, we were only given one set of towels. Not sure why they wouldn't give you several sets in a room with two double beds.

The carpet was gross and honestly, none of us walked around barefoot the entire time we were there for fear of getting foot fungus or stepping on something.

One of the reasons we chose this place was for all the amenities, but I didn't see much to be excited about. The tennis courts served as a parking lot and storage. The shuffleboard area was completely overgrown. We looked for one of the trails and thought we saw it, but it was completely overgrown, and started right by a sketchy abandoned looking home. The gym in the hotel was really gross and depressing and in a really narrow area by the pool. Maybe there was another tennis court somewhere on the property? I did not check out the fitness center that was down the street.

I will say the Sunday breakfast was delicious and the views from the dining room were beautiful. Also, we dined in the lounge one evening, and the food was good, and the service fantastic.

One other comment -- once we got there, I was told we weren't allowed to bring the dog in the main lobby of the hotel and were limited on where we could take him on the property. I understand not bringing him in main hotel, although it would have been nice to know that before we reserved the room. I was annoyed though that there were limitations on where we could take him outside on the property? That's definitely something that should be communicated with guests before booking. The one good thing about most pet friendly hotels is that outside, you can take your dog anywhere, just as long as you clean up after the pet. I did take my dog outside and walk him around though, and no one ever said anything.

I would not stay at this place again. It reminded me of staying in a cabin in the woods with the musty smell and outdated bathroom. If I was wanting a stay in the woods, that would have been great, but I was looking for a comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: Spruce Lodge was gross!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest, I regret that you were less than satisfied with your visit with us. I only wish that you would have contacted during your stay in October at which time I may have been able to provide immediate assistance. First I would like to explain that from April through the end of October, our pet friendly rooms are located in one of our two outer lodges as you know. These pet friendly reservations can only be made via the telephone, so that we can be sure to advise all inquiries that the lodge is un-renovated. We do not advertise outdoor tennis courts, the courts are old and in process of being converted to a parking area which is greatly needed. We do have an indoor tennis court at our full service fitness center, I am sure you would have enjoyed the full service facility rather than smaller area by our indoor pool. I have worked at various pet friendly facilities, and with each of these, there have been restrictions on where you can take your dog. We do not allow pets in our public areas and restaurants for the safety of our guests and in consideration of those that may have an allergy to dander. Outdoors we have many roads and trails where you may walk your dog. Dogs are not permitted on the children’s playground, golf course and pool areas. Other than that, you pet is welcomed anywhere on property as long as they are leashed. Again I am sorry that you were less than pleased and regret that several months have passed before sharing your concerns.
Colchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our whole extended family decided not to cook this T-giving and meet at Pocono Manor. We were a bit nervous about not doing our traditional familiy thanksgiving with all the trimmigs but it turned out we all LOVED our experience and we are planning to do it all again next year. The dining experience was phenomenal. We were able to choose the time of our seating and once we arrived we were seated right away. We were able to choose from all of our traditional thanksgiving dishes we would have had at our own T-giving plus from so many other food selections. My small children had a tremendous amount of options as well. My husband was thrilled that he could have prime rib along with seafood! The rooms were charming and incredibly clean as was the entire facility. Following the dinner, and every other night we were there, (we stayed three nights) santa and his reindeer came to the resort and the kids had the opportunity to sit on his lap. They could also make holiday crafts and treats. We took a horse drawn carridge ride. The kids were thrilled. They even watched the holiday classic movies in the resort movie theater, complete with complimentary popcorn and drinks.We had such a great time that I want to come back and do the adult themed activities such as snow mobiling, ice skating and of course the spa! My friends and I booked a weekend getaway for our birthdays and we hope to make it an annual trip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We do a number of activities for all ages throughout the duration of the year. I’m happy to hear that your family was able to partake in a few of our winter attractions. The comfortability and satisfaction of our guests is always our number one priority. We look forward to showing you our exceptional hospitality when you return.
Middle Village, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went to The Inn at Pocono Manor for a quick getaway with my husband and another couple. EVERYONE at this hotel is friendly and helpful. One standout is Evan Shepp. Evan checked us in quickly and was very friendly. He answered all of our questions and gave us lots of ideas for things to do. We saw him throughout our stay and he always smiled, said hello, and asked us if we had any questions. We had dinner at the restaurant and it was just average, but the service made up for it.

1 Thank Maria D
I appreciate the feedback with regard to your stay. Our employees know that they play a large role in each guests stay. I will pass on your comments to the appropriate departments and encourage them to keep up the great work. Thank you again, and I hope to improve you perception of our dining when you return.
East Quogue, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Props go out to Sean, Alfonzo and Mikey. My sis and my 3 daughters came to poconoc manor for a girls escape vacation. These three guys really stepped it up and made our vaca extra special. Very nice hotel but the management can learn a thing or two from these guys, they went above and beyond. If you decide to stay here which I suggest ask to meet these three guys, dynamite.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jpeq
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to hear that our employees went above and beyond to accommodate your family during your time with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the respective employees. I hope you return soon to find that all our employees are able and willing to do everything it takes to make all our guests as happy as possible.
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days between Christmas and New Years. The rates were reasonable and the hotel was much nicer than I expected after reading some previous reviews. There was plenty to do. We went horseback riding and snowmobiling. Both activities were fun. The only complaint was the snowmobiling was supposed to be for 30 minutes, but they brought us in after 20. There was plenty of other things to do that we didn't have time to take advantage of; ice skating, dog-sledding. The indoor pool was really nice; though I didn't see it advertised anywhere nor did I see any pictures of it posted online.

The food in the Lamplighter Lounge (bar food) was pretty good and our bartender, Jose, was great! We ate dinner in The Exchange the second night. We didn't like the food here too much and it was a little pricey.

Our room was really clean and we had a great view.

I would love to travel back here in the summer as it looks like there is plenty to do. It would be a great place for a family reunion.

Room Tip: We stayed in the tower and really liked it. I didn't see any of the other rooms, so I don't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your comments. It seems as though you were able to enjoy much of what we have to offer here at The Inn at Pocono Manor. Activities are abundant during all times of the year. We hope to see you back to partake in some of our warm weather fun this summer!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pocono Manor
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,121 reviews

Been to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!