“Not a bad place but enough is wrong to give it an average rating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pocono Manor Resort & Spa

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pocono Manor
new york city
“Not a bad place but enough is wrong to give it an average rating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The facility - It seems like over time the inn was changed from a “classic” old inn to an uncoordinated assembly of parts. Carpets and wall coverings don’t match and classic and contemporary styles are mixed all over the place. From the outside it sort of resembles an old style Tuberculosis clinic - An older building connected to a mid-twentieth century institutional looking structure. The other buildings on the property are like movie sets – the front facades are stone or trying to have a little style but the building’s sides and backs are straight out of a 1980’s Home Depot discount bin. Parking 18 wheel trucks on the basketball courts doesn’t help. All in all the grounds lack charm or a feeling of history. The pictures of the original buildings in some of the hallways show a much more pleasant looking place.

Housekeeping – Very dirty hallway floors stayed that way for our 3 day stay. Room seemed mostly clean but when we checked out we found what must have been dog feces from a prior guest behind a chair – gross.

Food – Standard cafeteria food for breakfast and lunch, edible but nothing to cheer about. The dinner on New Year’s Eve was good quality but it was pricy and the service was pretty bad. The server was also the busboy – never a good situation. For $50 a person they can hire a busboy or four.

Rooms – flat screen TV is the only modern feature. When the heater comes on you might as well be standing on an airport runway. We found the only way to sleep was to leave the fan running all night. In addition the hallway sounds were clear in our room so sleeping can be an issue if you can’t handle some noise. Are these full size beds? - they seem one size too small.

Will we return? Good question. I’d love to find an alternative to Skytop since I’m sick of that place but I don’t think the Inn will be on my short list of must return places.

4 Thank redfarb
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to hear that you perceive our hospitality to be average. Our renovation has had very positive feedback, unfortunately, we do not all share the same tastes. I will surely pass your comments onto our staff (especially housekeeping). I hope you give us a chance in the future to prove to you that we can be everything that you could desire and more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Kearny, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Pocono Manor this past weekend for a friends' 30th birthday festivities and I was pleasantly surprised! What a wonderful little place! The staff was so pleasant and welcoming from the minute we pulled the car up to the front. We loved the Magical Fireside activities, getting to feed the "reindeer". Most of all, our whole group LOVED the Arctic Paws Dog Sledding - what a fantastic experience! As someone who is very against snow and the cold and outdoor activities in the snow and cold, I had a wonderful time! My only gripe with the entire experience was the size of the full size beds. They were bigger than a twin but not quite as big as a full so it made it a bit uncomfortable to share since I fuss a lot when sleeping so my husband and I wound up each taking one bed. I also (painfully) realized just how far out the bedside tables come when I leaned off the bed to pick up a pillow and whacked my forehead on the corner. Overall, I had such a fantastic time with my friends and would recommend this place to anyone in the area! I will be visiting again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your recent review. We do everything within our power to keep a smile on the face of our guests for their duration of their time with us. I’m pleased to hear that you had the ability to enjoy some of the activities that we have to offer. I hope you can return in the near future to participate in some of the activities we have to offer during other seasons.
Newport RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was looking for a hotel near Camelback, as i was taking my daughter skiing. After searching hotels in the area and seeing mostly low budget "roach motel" types, I found this. The room photos looked nice but I was wary because I saw no bathroom photos. We arrived after dark and i was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is large and was well decorated. And the room (King) was nice too. I was told that all rooms had been renovated in the past year or so, and it shows. But they obviously went cheap on the bathrooms. The bathroom is small and the faux marble (plastic) isn't fooling anyone. It looks cheesy. A little tile would have been much better. I'd be willing to pay a little more for an upgraded room that has a nice bathroom with a tiled shower, granite counter top, etc. Food was good too. We ate at the buffet and although it's not as good as the best Atlantic City casino buffet's, it was worth the price. The only problem was noise. The door to the room is inadequate, so until about 1am I heard people entering and leaving other rooms in the hallway. Overall, the hotel is a good value and I will probably be going back soon with the whole family.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your comments with regard to your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that the noise turned out to be an inconvenience. We are constantly working to find ways to reduce guest noise throughout our buildings. It seems as though you were able to take in many other enjoyable aspects of our property. We have tried endlessly to make our guests have exceptional experiences. Hearing that were have the ability to do so puts a smile on my face. Thank you and we hope to see you in the near future.
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Unfortunately it was also "cold" inside at The Inn at Pocono Manor. And despite "warm" receptions by staff, about the best the front desk staff could come up with when told about the cold public spaces and corridors was: You get used to it after a little while. And while we had a sympathetic ear from the excellent Customer Service manager (isn't everyone at a hotel?) and Director of Security, Mr. Johnston, he indicated that the "West Wing" - the pet-friendly wing - was colder than other parts of the rambling hotel. (Talk about your "chilly" (sic) dogs!) And when an engineer came up to adjust the heat in our room, well let's just say his idea of "warming up" is more warming up at a ski resort that a swim meet. We were better off turning off the heating unit than having cool air blow in.
Maybe if there were more working fireplaces at the Inn (where we met Mr. Johnston) it might have helped. But please, Lise, put some sign up telling people to limit their stays in front of the yule logs. Otherwise it becomes like Starbucks where people "camp out" with their laptops all afternoon or evening.
On the plus side, it was very festive everywhere. We had a lovely buffet dinner on Xmas eve and several buffet breakfasts; an excellent waitress (twice!), Patricia; and good drinks in the lounge. The gift shop, too, was well stocked and fairly priced.
Housekeeping "messed up" (no, not literally!), however, with their commitment to clean the room in the a.m. It played havoc with us and our schedule since they won't clean the room with the dog in there and we wanted to go off and do things without the pet.
It's a lovely, historic property with a diverse clientele. But until they can get their HV-ACt together, I'd only give it three stars. Brrrr......

Room Tip: Despite everything I've said in this review, if you corner a manager for a while to chat about t...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the temperature of our property. The town of Pocono Manor had a power outage due to the recent snow storm. Therefore, we were running on generator heat. When this happens, the energy output is reduced. In other words, the room heat and hot water are not as toasty as normal. I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused. Although the heat does not seem to be the highlight of your stay, I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy many other aspects of our Inn. There are endless activities during all seasons here at The Inn at Pocono Manor. Please return in the future to let us show you that your perception of our comfort will be far improved. Thank you again.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our family decided to go to the Poconos as a halfway point to meet up with other family members. Also, it would be an opportunity to have someone else cook and clean up Thanksgiving dinner. It was awesome! There was plenty to do for the kids (ages - 2 to 13) such as indoor swimming pool, game room with ping pong and foose ball, separate game room with video games, and holiday activities including santa and horse carriage rides. The staff was amazing...they even let our 4 and 5 year olds select what movies they wanted to see in the theater. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tscol
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
I would like to thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay. I’m very pleased to hear that we could make your Thanksgiving as enjoyable as possible. It is of utmost importance that each and every guest has a comfortable experience. We offer numerous activities for all ages throughout the year. I hope you return to see what we can offer in the upcoming summer months!
albrightsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I recently held a party here for my husband,and I cannot express truly in words how wonderful
everything was. The banquet manager, the event cordinator,the staff the service, the food was everything I could have dreamed of and more.My friends and some family had stayed over at The Inn and could not have been more pleased.Almost everyone at the party said they would be returning for weekend getaways.As I said a true gem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. I’m pleased to hear that we had the ability to make your party all you wanted and more. Every employee plays a part in how our guests perceive their experience here. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff and encourage them to keep up the excellent work! When it is time for you to return, we will be ready and able to make your next stay just as enjoyable. Thank you again!
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Everyone at the Inn was amazing. My finacee proposed to me at the Inn December 15th and they helped him plan it for 2 months. They even helped him have roses there and the horse and carriage. The room was clean and cozy.
Everyone was friendly and went out there way to make my weekend special and memorable. We have decided that every year we will be spending the weekend there at Christmas with family to start a family tradition.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
It’s a great pleasure to hear that your stay with us turned into what could be one of the most memorable days of your life! I would like to congratulate you on your engagement, and thank you for giving us the joy of being involved in such a special day. We would be fortunate to have your family here each Christmas season. I’m looking forward to hearing about the experiences you will share with us in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pocono Manor
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews

Been to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!