“It was COLD outside in the Poconos...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pocono Manor Resort & Spa

Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pocono Manor
New York City
“It was COLD outside in the Poconos...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Unfortunately it was also "cold" inside at The Inn at Pocono Manor. And despite "warm" receptions by staff, about the best the front desk staff could come up with when told about the cold public spaces and corridors was: You get used to it after a little while. And while we had a sympathetic ear from the excellent Customer Service manager (isn't everyone at a hotel?) and Director of Security, Mr. Johnston, he indicated that the "West Wing" - the pet-friendly wing - was colder than other parts of the rambling hotel. (Talk about your "chilly" (sic) dogs!) And when an engineer came up to adjust the heat in our room, well let's just say his idea of "warming up" is more warming up at a ski resort that a swim meet. We were better off turning off the heating unit than having cool air blow in.
Maybe if there were more working fireplaces at the Inn (where we met Mr. Johnston) it might have helped. But please, Lise, put some sign up telling people to limit their stays in front of the yule logs. Otherwise it becomes like Starbucks where people "camp out" with their laptops all afternoon or evening.
On the plus side, it was very festive everywhere. We had a lovely buffet dinner on Xmas eve and several buffet breakfasts; an excellent waitress (twice!), Patricia; and good drinks in the lounge. The gift shop, too, was well stocked and fairly priced.
Housekeeping "messed up" (no, not literally!), however, with their commitment to clean the room in the a.m. It played havoc with us and our schedule since they won't clean the room with the dog in there and we wanted to go off and do things without the pet.
It's a lovely, historic property with a diverse clientele. But until they can get their HV-ACt together, I'd only give it three stars. Brrrr......

Room Tip: Despite everything I've said in this review, if you corner a manager for a while to chat about t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the temperature of our property. The town of Pocono Manor had a power outage due to the recent snow storm. Therefore, we were running on generator heat. When this happens, the energy output is reduced. In other words, the room heat and hot water are not as toasty as normal. I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused. Although the heat does not seem to be the highlight of your stay, I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy many other aspects of our Inn. There are endless activities during all seasons here at The Inn at Pocono Manor. Please return in the future to let us show you that your perception of our comfort will be far improved. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our family decided to go to the Poconos as a halfway point to meet up with other family members. Also, it would be an opportunity to have someone else cook and clean up Thanksgiving dinner. It was awesome! There was plenty to do for the kids (ages - 2 to 13) such as indoor swimming pool, game room with ping pong and foose ball, separate game room with video games, and holiday activities including santa and horse carriage rides. The staff was amazing...they even let our 4 and 5 year olds select what movies they wanted to see in the theater. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tscol
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
I would like to thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay. I’m very pleased to hear that we could make your Thanksgiving as enjoyable as possible. It is of utmost importance that each and every guest has a comfortable experience. We offer numerous activities for all ages throughout the year. I hope you return to see what we can offer in the upcoming summer months!
albrightsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I recently held a party here for my husband,and I cannot express truly in words how wonderful
everything was. The banquet manager, the event cordinator,the staff the service, the food was everything I could have dreamed of and more.My friends and some family had stayed over at The Inn and could not have been more pleased.Almost everyone at the party said they would be returning for weekend getaways.As I said a true gem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. I’m pleased to hear that we had the ability to make your party all you wanted and more. Every employee plays a part in how our guests perceive their experience here. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff and encourage them to keep up the excellent work! When it is time for you to return, we will be ready and able to make your next stay just as enjoyable. Thank you again!
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Everyone at the Inn was amazing. My finacee proposed to me at the Inn December 15th and they helped him plan it for 2 months. They even helped him have roses there and the horse and carriage. The room was clean and cozy.
Everyone was friendly and went out there way to make my weekend special and memorable. We have decided that every year we will be spending the weekend there at Christmas with family to start a family tradition.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
It’s a great pleasure to hear that your stay with us turned into what could be one of the most memorable days of your life! I would like to congratulate you on your engagement, and thank you for giving us the joy of being involved in such a special day. We would be fortunate to have your family here each Christmas season. I’m looking forward to hearing about the experiences you will share with us in the future!
Turnersville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Spent a spur of the moment weekend which happened to coincide with the weekend after Superstorm Sandy. The hotel allowed folks to seek refuge with their pets even in non pet areas of the hotel. To us, that was just wonderful. We didn't know so we didn't have our dog with us but we thought it was an outstanding gesture. Everything about the property was great and our bed was divinely comfortable. The mt view allowed for beautiful sunrises. The room was great. The only obvious oversight I found was the room had no comfy chair. If you want to relax read a book or paper, I like a comfy soft cushion chair. There was room but no chair. When I asked about it they brought us a dining room chair. We chuckled but appreciated the attempt. The food was good but the bar food had to travel such a distance fr the kitchen to our table that everything arrived cold. It was a shame because the quality was there. The waitress kindly offered to try again but we didn't have the heart to let her. She was overwhelmed working the bar alone. We didn't let those little bumps prevent us from seeking info for new years eve. We took the flyer with us and just made our reservations. Now this I had serious problems with. I have a flyer and description in my Hand and I'm told, oh we're not offering that. Me, you're not offering new years eve pkgs? Well we are but not those rates Then no pet rooms, then no kings, then can't promise you mt view. Do you have mt views? Yes but I can't promise you one. Next I question the ballroom location for the adult party. My answer was, oh that will be in the lamplighters lounge. Me: wait , I'm going to spend almost $500 for one nights activities and I'm going to be in the lounge where people are coming for a cash bar at $10 per person. Please tell me I'm dreaming. Something is amiss. I reserved a room with the proviso that I speak with the manager. Of course he won't be available until Wed. Well, that will surely give me time to formulate my questions and extreme dissatisfaction! Is this any way to run a business let alone plan for one of the most special nights of the yr? I hope this is all a big mistake... False advertising, confusion and charging people for a gala event and then switching it up on them. Stay tuned,I'll let you know if my rating for this hotel goes from excellent to ridiculous!! Wish me luck. Hope all the others who have already booked know what is happening. I was so excited. The inn is beautiful and just what the mt resorts were like 40 yrs ago. Pretty friendly charming great service.. Pla don't tell me it was a fluke!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m glad to hear that you were able to enjoy much of what we have to offer here at The Inn at Pocono Manor. I would like to acknowledge the situation that arose with regard to your New Year’s reservation. If I am correct, I believe you have been speaking with our Front Office Manager. The misunderstanding came up due to a number of changes that were made to the flyer you picked up after that said date. I’m happy to hear that all is worked out, and this will most definitely be an experience we can learn from. I look forward to hearing about your stay with us over the holiday. We will be doing everything in our power to help our guests bring in the New Year the most enjoyable way possible!
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

This place was a good find. From what I could tell we did not get a "renovated room" as other people point out but what we did get was just fine. The bed was super comfortable. Everyone was very nice. Also we did breakfast there which was good. Everything was just really cute and going for that charm look. The only complaint was whoever was in the room above us, woke us up in the morning. Kind of sounded like an elephant pacing back and forth, so I guess the walls may be a bit thin due to the building being old.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank shopperhopper
MgmtPMI, General Manager at Pocono Manor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. I am not quite sure whether or not you were in a renovated room, as there is no way to tell without a reservation number. During your next stay here, please request a room in our main building at the time of your reservation. I’m pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay, and hope you return to spend some time with us in the near future!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and i just got back and are already looking forward to next year. This place was fabulous. From the minute we pulled up, I knew this was going to be a great weekend. We were greeted at the front door by the door man. We then were checked in very quickly and immediately felt at home. Once we got to our room, we found it to above what we thought we were going to have. I totally miss those pillows. we stopped by the store and found all of things we forgot to bring on our trip. We then traveled over to the Fireside event. We decided that we would go back the next day to enjoy the carriage ride since it was raining on this day. Patricia was so pleasant and informative. So, traveled into the Old Lamplighter Lounge. This was a very enjoyable night. Both bartenders, Maria and Jose were fabulous. We felt like we knew them already. Julie was very nice as well. Next morning, breakfast was delicious. Especially after a looonnnggg night at the Lamplighter Lounge. We hiked the Blue trail and saw the waterfall. While on our way back the fog blew in, which made the carriage ride that much more fun. All of the activities at the Fireside event were great. Even though we left the kids at home, we still were like little kids ourselves. Feeding the reindeer and making smores. We decided to go to Mt. Airy Casino and the shuttle was very nice. The driver, who was head of security, was very informative as well. I believe his name was Les. I could be wrong though. Sorry if I got your name wrong.

All in all this was a great weekend. We will most definitely stay here in the future. As we are already planning our stay here next year. Possibly a new tradition for a couples weekend getaway. If you have kids,especially little ones, then this is the place for you. The fireside event is great for kids of all ages. The elf turn down service I heard was great even though we did not partake. They basically give you a bedtime story and cookies with Milk.

Thank you to the entire staff for making our belated 16th Anniversary a memorable one!!

Room Tip: The King corner room is awesome. Definitely try to get one of these.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It makes me ecstatic when I hear that our guests have a phenomenal time as you have described here! It seems as though you were able to enjoy a number of the activities we have to offer during the winter season here at The Inn at Pocono Manor. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our staff. I’m glad we had the ability to make your special day that much more special. We look forward to seeing you next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pocono Manor
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,120 reviews

Been to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!