“Extremely disappointing!!!”

The Carriage House
medford, ny
“Extremely disappointing!!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2009

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in, be it with Interval International or independently. IA should be cited for allowing this place to be a recommended stay. I was totally embarassed that I invited friends to vacation with me at this place. NEVER AGAIN here.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank sfreecell58

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kure Beach NC
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My fiance and I "borrowed" the time share from family and didn't read any reviews until a couple of days before we arrived. The other reviews had us terrified and we planned on getting there and most likely finding other places to stay. When we arrived we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff members. Yes, the building is older (it reminded us of some of the older "resorts" in the Catskill Mtns. and reminded us a bit of the place in "Dirty Dancing".) The carpets could be updated and the decor could be updated in the older rooms. The beds were not super comfy but tolerable. We peeked into the updated rooms and they are very nice. The AC was more than adequate, the place was clean. Our sheets were dropped off three times during the week and we changed the linens ourselves and took the garbage out to the garbage area.
Those were the negatives: If you are looking for a "Sandals" type resort, this is not the place for you. If you are looking to be surrounded by peace and quiet and woods it is. We took long walks around the resort and saw wild turkeys and deer. Very peaceful. It is located within 20 to 30 minutes of some wonderful activities. Shawnee ski resort had a festival going on, Bushkill Falls is an incredible place to spend the day and trip down the Delaware river are all very close. At the end of each busy day we were more than happy to head back to the Carriage House. The indoor pool was great and pretty clean. We looked for but didn't spot any dangerous furniture in the area. There were plenty of clean towels in the area to use. The hottubs seemed to function well and be clean also. Again, the activity area is dated but is more than acceptable.
If you want a quick breakfast in the morning there is a little cafe called Shawn's that serves up a great simple breakfast for a great price. Both Shawn and his wife are very friendly and helpful. We didn't meet a single staff member who was not kind and courteous to us during our stay.
If you need the internet for work or play, there is a single computer in the lobby. You can pick up wireless if you sit in the lobby area. Not the best setup if you plan to be on the computer alot.
There are many places to eat within a 10 minute drive
I would say that my advice to a traveler would be this: if you are looking for a busy place that can entertain you and your children and is modern, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for clean, comfortable and peaceful and don't need brand new rooms, this is a good choice. And if you want a fabulous dinner head into Shawnee and go to a Peruvian restaurant called Inti. The food was incredible.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vernandcarm
Rhode Island
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I'm pretty easy to please but seriously, This place is a dump!! There's NO housekeeping!!! The sheets were dirty before we used the bed. When they replaced the sheets, they left them on the end of the bed with the same bedspread and blankets that we originally had which were dirty. I swear I was so itchy I thought there were bedbugs, but I didn't see anything. They stacked towels on the sink. The furniture was old and had an odor. The restaurant was closed on Sunday. The carpet had stains. There is really not much to do there unless you leave the resort. I have travelled many times with interval and have never left a bad review, but this place needs to be taken off the list. The staff was very pleasant but I guess they would have to be or nobody would ever go there! Do yourself a favor and book somewhere else. If not, maybe you'll be luckier than we were....will you take the chance????

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sf5rook5

Travelers are raving about these Pocono Manor hotels

ontario
Reviewed September 1, 2009

This was the worst "resort" I have ever stayed at. The place was filthy (especially the pool area) and the staff were rude and unhelpful. They did not have the equipment to do the activities and they were not interested in getting it. The bathroom was not clean upon arrival and many of the towels had big stains on them. Also, I complained that guests were smoking on our non-smoking floor for three nights and nothing was done about it. I have never written a review online before but I felt I had to in this case because it was so bad.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mooney408
Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 25, 2009

This was one of the most disappointing stays I've ever had with Interval International recommended Resort. If it were not for the kindness and consern of "1" person...a single person on the whole planet, we would have "escaped" the place the first night. Her name is "Iown", pronounced, "I own".
My wife cried for almost 3 hours when we arrived and walked into our room. But lets start with the outside. It looked like an old school that had been turned into a halfway house. The lobby I was not impressed with, the elevator looked like something you would find in a 3 story road side motel. The hallways smelled damp and was warm for the season and the room smelled wet, musty and was bordering on "HOT" for the season. The bathroom my wife and daughter refused to use, the carpet and bed room made me feel like I was moving into a place for those on their last dime....imagine the movie "Shawshank Redemption" and the room where the old guy hanged himself...yea that's it. The advertisement said there was internet in the rooms....Yea, there is internet in your room if you stayed on the first floor and your room was near the lobby otherwise you are out of luck and there iare not plugs for you to use dial up so hang that one up too. This is because the modem is located behind the front desk....you know one of those home networking modems you buy from an electronics store. Not made for a 3/4 story building at all. The pools water looked foggy. I thought it was me, but when I looked in the kiddy pool, the water looked clearer so the main pool needed to be cleaned or at least the filters changed.
I'm currently active duty military and I've stayed at resorts advertised through Interval International before and this was by far my worst experience with the condition of the place that I've spent my hard earned money to visit. Since I am Navy, my family and I don't go on vacations every year, but when we do, we expect a CLEAN, FUN, EXCITING, PROBLEM FREE VACATION. If I wanted to go to a side street motel....I would expect side street motel conditions and side street motel prices. When I go to a "RESORT" I expect "RESORT" conditions because I'm paying "RESORT" prices. Using the "common mans" thought process, this is 100% logical thinking and was "NOT" used in calling this place a RESORT.
If it were not for "Iown", we would have left that night, but GOD BLESS HER, she listened to my story with open ears, kind eyes and a warm heart and moved us to a better room on the 2nd deck. THE WORLD NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE HER!!!!!!!!! And I give her my highest "props' for representing such a run down place and making it better for me and my family. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!!

Apparently the place is being renovated and the room we moved in first was one they hadn't got too yet....YEA, THEY NEED TO SPEED THAT UP. The 2nd room was better and Iown was kind and accomadating through our whole visit so that made it a lot better. I do not recommend staying at the place, but I do recommend going and saying hi to Iown because you would better enjoy your stay anywhere just by speaking to her for about 10min.

I wish I had taken pictures of the place before I left...didn't know I could post them here until now. AWE MAN!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank knhphotographer
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I were very excited to take our 2 year old on our first "family" vacation. The hotel was a big disappointment:
1) there was no maid service
2) you had to pay for garbage bags
3) the AC didn't cool the bedroom
4) we were told that there was an outdoor pool available for our use, not true
5) not a lot of good restaurants close by
6) the playground isn't adequate for small children

The staff was very nice! Especially to our daughter!
The indoor pool is nice, especially if there are any bad weather days.
The exercise room was decent

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
NEW YORK
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I was very disappointed with this place it is a dump.
My child was so dissapointed I had to book two nights at Great Wolf Lodge
when we returned to the hotel it seemed so rundown we ended up cutting our trip short and going home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Woodfield Manor, a Sundance Vacations Resort

Been to The Carriage House? Share your experiences!