I took this on a timeshare, and it taught me to do a lot more research before I book from Interval again. Like most of the Pocono region, it's well past it's prime, which must have been in the 1950's.
First of all, the place is run down: dirty borderline-psychedelic carpets, dank musty smell from the indoor pool which is poorly ventilated. The room we had was a "mini-b" which says it sleeps four. Try telling that to two kids that have to share a Murphy bed (trust me the novelty fades quickly) or a fold-out (thankful we didn't get that room). Mattresses older than me, which is older than they should be, and comfort was not to be found. Slept very poorly. Privacy for the adults was non-existent. We might have cooked in, but the tiny fridge and chintzy service and cookware together with a fridge that barely could recover from a dozen bottles of water stopped that plan. Dishwasher broke at first use, and made a horrible racket, not unlike the shower plumbing. Water pressure was lousy, and didn't sliding shower doors go out in the seventies? Would have been nice if they shut. Mirrors on every vertical surface cried out for a disco ball, or an X-rating, but I already mentioned the privacy problem, and I doubt the bed could have stood up to such uses. The kids liked the pool, but the please easily. That said even they heaped scorn on the "game room", which consisted of antique stand-up games that were mostly broken or ate quarters, unlevel pool tables with cues as crooked as politics, and a concave ping pong table. When i told the desk that I lost a few dollars in the Jurassic Arcade, I was invited to fill out a complaint to management as "the games are all rented". From where, travelling carnies? If not for Camel Beach and most of our time spent elsewhere I might have gone crazy like Nicholson in "The Shining", but his hotel was much nicer, and had a bar even if staffed by evil spirits. I might suggest this place to someone that had never stayed in a hotel, but I might have to see them again, unlike this place. Gawdawful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a small country timeshare nestled in the heart of the Poconos. We provide fully equipped kitchens for convenience. We are located across the road from Kalahari and within fifteen driving minutes of Mount Airy Casino, Auquatopia and Camelback Ski Area, Crossing Premium Outlet and Pocono Raceway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your The Carriage House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carriage House At Pocono Manor Hotel Pocono Manor
- Carriage Hotel Pocono Manor