“Sometimes you get what you pay for.”
Review of The Carriage House

The Carriage House
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I took this on a timeshare, and it taught me to do a lot more research before I book from Interval again. Like most of the Pocono region, it's well past it's prime, which must have been in the 1950's.
First of all, the place is run down: dirty borderline-psychedelic carpets, dank musty smell from the indoor pool which is poorly ventilated. The room we had was a "mini-b" which says it sleeps four. Try telling that to two kids that have to share a Murphy bed (trust me the novelty fades quickly) or a fold-out (thankful we didn't get that room). Mattresses older than me, which is older than they should be, and comfort was not to be found. Slept very poorly. Privacy for the adults was non-existent. We might have cooked in, but the tiny fridge and chintzy service and cookware together with a fridge that barely could recover from a dozen bottles of water stopped that plan. Dishwasher broke at first use, and made a horrible racket, not unlike the shower plumbing. Water pressure was lousy, and didn't sliding shower doors go out in the seventies? Would have been nice if they shut. Mirrors on every vertical surface cried out for a disco ball, or an X-rating, but I already mentioned the privacy problem, and I doubt the bed could have stood up to such uses. The kids liked the pool, but the please easily. That said even they heaped scorn on the "game room", which consisted of antique stand-up games that were mostly broken or ate quarters, unlevel pool tables with cues as crooked as politics, and a concave ping pong table. When i told the desk that I lost a few dollars in the Jurassic Arcade, I was invited to fill out a complaint to management as "the games are all rented". From where, travelling carnies? If not for Camel Beach and most of our time spent elsewhere I might have gone crazy like Nicholson in "The Shining", but his hotel was much nicer, and had a bar even if staffed by evil spirits. I might suggest this place to someone that had never stayed in a hotel, but I might have to see them again, unlike this place. Gawdawful.

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank Elrhino1

Reviewed July 17, 2011

It took them four tries to get us a decent room. The first room was not cleaned and the sheets were bloody. The second rooms ceiling was collapsing, the third room had no air conditioning. Finally, the fourth room they gave us was passible, but was still not nice. It smelled wierd, and was really not that comfortable. Also, the web site claimed that this place had a restaurant on site, which they did, which was closed for the summer. I'm sure it was probably for the best because this place was so disgusting I'm guessing the food would of been bad. I was really looking forward to having a nice room that I could relax in after a long day of doing things in the Poconos, but this place was not that. When My wife complained about the fact that the restaraunt/lounge was closed she was told that we could go to the casino a few miles away, which was a stupid thing for them to say since we were on a family vacation with our 16 year old daughter. Bottom line is that this was a disgusting place that everybody should try and avoid.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KSweets
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I didn't even stay in this hotel and it was horrible, we did a walk through of the hotel and the room, the hotel was extremely old, the rugs were covered in a film of dust, the studio room had two beds; one couch pull out bed and one pull out closet bed, neither looked comfortable. as I walked by the pool, it looked dirty and very cloudy, not somewhere I want to swim and from the lack of other hotel guest, i guess they feel the same, I couldn't even place a phone call outside, the connection was terrible, it kept dropping so i highly doubt their free internet access is anything to look forward to.

I should have listened when I read a bad review where it stated the hotel was horrible and the rugs were extremely dusty and musty but it was cheap and last minute for the forth of july a holiday weekend, so i ignored it big mistake, however, I booked the hotel studio room on priceline for 50 dollars a night for 2 nights and 2 beds for 4 travelers, no where on the website did it specify only 2 people to a room, after finally finding the place because it was hard, hidden in the back and the address wasn't even on gps, we check in and they tell us we have to upgrade the room, for a 100 dollars a night because we are only allowed to have 2 people to a room, there were 2 adults and 2 children, and after spending 4 hours wasted pretty much one day up the mountains on the phone going back and forth with priceline and the hotel, they both played the blame game, accusing the other and no one took responsibility, first priceline tells us the hotel states on their website they don't charge for children and the hotel says no we don't charge for children, we are only allowed to have 2 people to a studio room, which means the hotel does charge for children and then the hotel tells us we had to upgrade the studio room to a regular room and they had the upgraded room available and then they didn't have it anymore,i even tried to compromise with the hotel and said i would pay for 2 studio rooms for one night, the manager told me all he could do was give me 2 studio rooms for 2 nights not the one night, which made no sense, then priceline offered to give us another hotel room for the 4 members further away for 130 dollars a night neither priceline nor the Carriage House were helpful, they were only accommodating us if we were willing to pay more money, which is a scam, very disappointing because i like priceline, i always use it to book airplane tickets, very doubtful if i would ever use priceline for hotel rooms in the future, most likely not, the only thing i will say for priceline, they did refund the money however it cost us the majority of the one day of the weekend we were there for and we had to find another hotel during the forth of july for more money

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nina12379
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Every year the retired National Guard 56th - Headquarters Division returns to the wonderful Carriage House at Pocono Manor for a three day weekend - Every year we are received with kindness and courtesy ... our rooms are ready and clean, the pool is heated, and the party begins. The Inn is centrally located so that our families and friends are within minutes of many attractions, or just stay and enjoy the warmth of the Inn. Thank you again for your hospitality and comfort. We look forward to seeing you all every year and enjoying our stay.
P.S. the sleigh ride across the road was awesome....the horses were beautiful and the guides were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank adlrc
Reviewed November 10, 2010

This is a very old hotel/timeshare. If you are looking for the new type timeshares this isn’t it. It was probably very popular in the 70's thru interval. It does remind you of the shining movie which was ok with us. You have to appreciate the old woodwork and decor. It was very clean, nice and quiet. We had a renovated 1 bedroom on second floor. The hotel has no venting and everything is electric base board heat. It has a nice big ac/heat unit in main room. The main room has a nice Murphy bed to pull down and is comfortable - could be used for children. The room also has a table for eating for 4. The bedroom was nice but no ventalation. Each room has a TV and DVD player. The kitchen is nice with an electric oven, range, microwave, coffee machine (bring extra coffee). They give you a starter set of amenities for the kitchen. All utensils are provided. It has a dorm style fridge which was adequate. The separate bathroom was very clean and nice (no hair dryer). The pool area and hot tubs were nice. Staff were seen cleaning and are nice. They have a breakfast shop and game room. There is also a very nice bar/restaurant attached that the owner makes great drinks and reasonable. We booked separately and got a real good price for our 3 day stay. There is plenty golf courses and skiing close by. The outlets are close and great shopping.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reddog4me2
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We have been owners at the Carriage House for 25 yrs. We used this to trade but after several yrs of paying for an II membership and not being able to trade we gave up and stopped wasting our money with II. The past few yrs we go there for Xmas week. We figure that we are just getting away and relaxing.
When we finished bought into CH it was such a nice place. The bar at the pool was open and you could get a drink and a sandwich for a reasonable price. There were also planned activites.
The units are being renovated but they are not doing it that quickly. The renovated rooms aren't too bad but none of the rooms are luxiourious. Unfortunately, the owner also owns Split Rock and he pumps all of his money into this and not much into Carriate House. You also get what you pay for. Our maintenance fee is half the amount that our other timeshare is in VA where there are much more amenities.
The resort is close to Mount Airy Lodge, the outlets, Stroud Mall, Claws and Paws, Camelback, Jack Frost, etc. The past few yrs there has been alot of development in the area. We have been to many resorts where there is nothing to do at the resort and nearby.
As for maid service---most timeshares only offer towel exchanges once a week. We have been to several that don't offer any exchanges. I
This is definitely not a gold crown resort but it isn't the worst that we have been to

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Where do I begin? Upon our arrival, the desk clerk informed us that we were too early to check in. Most places allow you to check in if you arrive early, you just cannot move your luggage in until the designated time. Giving the "resort” the once-over, we noticed that the pool was quite cloudy and the entertainment available in the pool area was dated and not functioning properly (as we over-heard some teenagers complaining about having lost their change). There was also a musty odor and dingy lighting. When we were finally able to enter our studio, we were greeted with mildew and sub-par air conditioning. Want fresh air? Do NOT open the window!!! The window sill smells even worse than the room!!! Thinking that perhaps the AC unit was only recently turned on, we gave it the benefit of the doubt and waited to pass judgment until our return several hours later; no change. The room was still warm, humid, and musty. I was also surprised that there was no bed per say. The “bed” was a sofa bed and not very comfortable at all. After traveling several hundred miles that day, we were looking forward to settling down with the internet to help plan our next day’s travels, however, we could not access the internet the room (although we were in the hallway just behind the lobby); instead, we had to go out into the lobby to get a merely mediocre connection. After several minutes of disgust, we opted to ditch the internet idea. On a previous review of the place, someone had written that there is great shopping in the area and listed Wal-Mart and K-Mart among them…need I say more? If you like outlet malls, you’re in the right place! That’s really not my thing. You only get one set of towels over the course of your one-week stay, so use them wisely or locate a nearby laundrymat (good luck with that). If you do not like to be wet when you sleep or relax in your room, you might consider bringing along a tent; it would be far less humid and cooler if you did. After being there for a week, our clothes at the very bottom of the suitcase were damp. The first thing I did when I got home was wash ALL of our clothes, even the “clean” ones. If you’re hip with having the luxury of having cellphone reception in your room, give that idea up right now. We had to set up lawn chairs in the middle of the shuffleboard and affix tinfoil to the cellphone to get intermittent reception; I can’t tell you have many lost calls we had even under the best conditions (no trees, no clouds, clear skies, tinfoil…) Please see the attached photos; they don’t lie. I’m a photographer and I can’t make that place pretty.
What positive thing can I say about the experience? It’s over! Oh, and writing this review.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to The Carriage House? Share your experiences!