Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pittston
Reviewed May 7, 2013

When we first walked in the lobby, we smelled a strange smell. It was there when we left the next morning, also. I knew it wasn't a top notch hotel, because, although it was LATE on May 1st, the sign in the lobby still said it was April 29th! Because we are Priority Club members, we each received a bottle of water and a small bag of peanuts.

The walk to our room was down a dingy hall and the room was pretty much what we thought we would get. When I took a shower at night I thought the water was going from cold to hot, back to cold again. In the morning, there was NO hot water, forcing us to take cold showers at 4:00 a.m.

The rooms were clean enough. I probably would opt for another hotel if I ever have to stay at the Wilkes Barre - Scranton airport again. It's very close the to the airport, but that's about all it has going for it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear GRAMMY911NewYork,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We appreciate the compliments on our clean rooms. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced due to the condition of the hotel property, rooms and unusual smell you encountered. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and we hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at this property the night before running the Steamtown (Scranton) Marathon in October 2012. The hotel was one of the few remaining hotels in the area that had rooms available for runners. When I arrived, the front desk was friendly and I received a complementary water and snack. Things went downhill after that. Going up to my room I noticed the halls smelled bad. My room was no better. There was a strong mildew smell in the room - the bathroom seemed to be the source. I had some Febreze in my car that I brought in, sprayed, and left to go find dinner. The smell was a little better when I returned and I was able to fall asleep. I woke up the next morning at 3:30 AM incredibly stuffed up and miserable. Not a good start to a day where I was planning on running 26 miles. Yuck. Won't be staying here again should I run the marathon again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear mrd232,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stopped to get some sleep on a road trip headed south on interstate 81. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. The rooms were updated, comfortable and very clean. The complimentary breakfast was excellent and replenished often.

Room Tip: Request a room opposite the interstate.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very friendly staff, quick check in, free cookies, free popcorn. Room was nice and clean. Bed seeemed new, multiple types of pillows, all labled "firm" or "soft." Room was also quiet.

There is some peeling wallpaper in the hallways that needs to get fixed before it gets out of hand. Also some rubmarks on the walls in the hallways from suitcases. I mention this because it stood out in an otherwise excellent hotel.

The restaurant next door, although labled a "bar and grill" has surprisingly good food; more than just burgers and fries. Might get rowdy on weekends.

Extremely convenient to the airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a Sat night as a chance to get a good night sleep. As with other HIExpress I have stayed. This hotel was a pleasant stay. I made my reservation on line and arrived the same day at about 7 PM. There was a popcorn machine in the lobby that smelled great....there were cookies at the front desk and hot coffee in the servers. The manager at the front dest was very nice, thanking us for staying with them tonight and gave us each a bag with a water bottle and crackers. I thought that was nice. He also gave us the internet info and asked if we needed a wake up call. Overall I would rate my check in experience as excellent!
The room was clean and comfortable. Flat screen 32in TV. Free HBO and wireless internet. The bathroom was stocked with extra towels and the regular amenities as needed, a hairdryer and coffee pot in the bathroom
Sleep was comfortable and similar to the types of mattress I experienced of others in this chain. We were bumped up to a king size bed and the room had a chair and ottoman in it to sit so you did not have to feel like all you can do was sit on the bed. The internet worked well and was fast. Breakfast was excellent...and free..the folks on the morning shift were just as nice as the night before They have the really cool press of the button pancake maker....very neat! The water in the shower was hot as needed...overall our stay was very good. checkout was good. I have found this to be consistant with the HIEXpress chain.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Pulled in easily off the interstate after a long day on the road, and enjoyed a great dinner at a little restaurant which shares the parking lot with this hotel. The room was huge -- very clean & well-appointed. Had a great night's rest in peace & quiet (surprisingly quiet for being so close to the interstate!). Would definitely stay there again...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ksimpson009
Reviewed November 27, 2012

An airport hotel needs to deliver a quiet, comfprtable room, reliable wake-up service and an equally reliable shuttle. This hotels delivers on all counts and is staffed with good knowledgeable people.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the airport have a view...even if it is of the airport. All rooms are quiet. The...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittston
Comfort Inn Pittston - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport
Holiday Inn Wilkes Barre East Mountain
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wilkes Barre
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Holiday Inn Express Wilkes Barre East
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre

Been to Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport? Share your experiences!