“Nice Property. Would Stay Again.”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cleveland, OH
“Nice Property. Would Stay Again.”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is a nice historic property. I got a room on Priceline for a reasonable price. They put me in a corner room with one queen-sized bed, which was fine for my needs. The room itself was on the small side, but it’s a downtown hotel, so it’s about on par with what I would expect. Check-in took approximately 23 seconds and check-out took about 7 seconds. It seriously was a breeze. Every hotel staff I encountered was friendly. The lobby was one of the nicest I’ve ever seen. There are many amenities inside the hotel, if you need them.

I have two small complaints about this property. First, the shower in the bathroom had very weak pressure and the drain was a little clogged up. If you’re used to strong showers or need them to start your day, this might cause a problem. Second, even though our room had a beautiful new LCD flatscreen TV, the picture was far from being HD.

Other than that, it was a great stay and would visit again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
It is always a pleasure for us to hear from our guests that have such a good stay that they would return. We are sorry that you experienced low water pressure and tv quality but are glad that the remainder of your stay went without a hitch. We will look forward to your return to The Omni William Penn Hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Turkish first
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2010

My wife and I celebrated a birthday by combining shopping at Grove city and a two night overstay at William Penn April 27/28. We made a bid on Priceline.com and received a terrific deal.

We can't say enough positive things about the Hotel and staff. It started with the reception from the luggage drop at the front door, through all of the staff in the Hotel, their service was top shelf. We felt very welcome and it was clear the staff were there to help.

The lobby is beautiful and the attention to detail in all areas of the hotel was impressive and added to the experience. The rooms were clean, nicely decorated and had great beds. Some previous reviews commented on the rooms being too small, not my impression, they're not huge, there a good size. The bathroom was clean, well appointed and large.

The restaurant (Terrace room) serves great food, a little pricey, but the surroundings, helpful staff and atmosphere take a bite out of the price.

Parking is across the street underground, easy to use, safe and inexpensive.

Don't hesitate, my wife and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crossborder_10
WmPenn, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
Happy belated birthday! Thank you for celebrating with us! We are delighted that your stay with us was a memorable one, and will look forward to having you back again soon.
Canton, MI
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Good location, excellent staff (Premo was our favorite - he brought up our room service & clued us in to bars & restaurants to visit). The decor is a little old, but clean and well laid-out. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of room for us to sprawl. The price was right too - I think we booked it through LastMinuteTravel.com for $285/2 nights, which included taxes, etc.

You want to park in the underground garage across William Penn Pl. from the hotel. It was $5 for the day, and I think the hotel charges $35 or so per day. (Note that the sign in the garage says $13.50 per 24h, so our rate must have been for Friday - Sunday only.)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
It is a pleasure to read your review from your stay at The Omni William Penn. It is always nice to hear from our guests that have a great stay and we will be sure to pass your compliments along to Premo. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Let me begin with the positive experiences I had at the Omni William Penn. The morning beverage service is above and beyond and an absolutely wonderful service initiative; kudos to Omni for offering this to their guests. The room was very clean, other than smelling like the previous guest had smoked in there, it was still cleaned well. My room (1527) also had wonderful views! The front desk staff left a lot to be desired; didn’t seem like they were happy to be there at all.

Now for the rest…when I arrived at the Omni after a long day of travel and was exhausted, I got to my room and wanted to lie down and relax for a while. The remote was nowhere to be found. I spent about 20 minutes searched the room thoroughly….no remote. I called down to ask for one. An hour went by…still no remote. Called again to the concierge number this time and about 45 minutes later, someone showed up with a remote and said that mine was probably taken up with the bedding. The TV was very old and had a poor picture and low volume on many channels. When I rented a movie (The Lovely Bones), I pushed the number 3 for that movie and another movie (When in Rome) started. Had to call downstairs to get that straight to make sure it did not appear on my bill. The movie I paid over $14 to watch, had a volume so low that I had to sit (not lay comfortably) on the edge of my bed to be able to hear it. Forget it if sirens or any noise from the outside started…couldn’t hear it at all. I should not have had to pay for that movie.

To touch on a few other issues before getting into my biggest concern: the food received via room service was good, but way overpriced. I paid $44 for a tiny piece of salmon, a side of veggies and lemonade. That’s just crazy. There was no temperature control in the room regarding the choice b/w heat or air. The room was freezing most of the time, b/c unless you had the air conditioner on, there was no other option. So, I would just set it so high that no air would come on (there was no heat setting) and it would be so cold I couldn’t sleep. Others that I spoke with at my conference had the same problem. There was no hot water when showering; was barely warm.

Okay…now for the worst part of my trip. I have a career that does not allow downtime. If I travel to a conference to enhance my knowledge, I need to use any breaks or evening time to stay caught up on urgent concerns and have reports to do constantly. When planning my trip to Pittsburgh, I joined the Select Guest program b/c it offered Wi-Fi service in your at no cost. Wow, what a nice offer I thought. I hauled my heavy laptop and bag all the way to Pittsburgh for the sole purpose of being able to be able to work while there. I was able to connect to the internet, but the signal did not make it to my room. I was unable to get online, and if it did for a second b/c a super low signal would start, the page would be lost immediately. It was very, very frustrating. I then had to take my own time to call down to the desk who connected me to your IS help desk and spent quite a bit of my time on the phone with him as he walked me through things he needed to check. Turned out, as I had said, the signal was not making it to my room. That conversation ended with him saying he would reboot the system, to give it 15 minutes and it would work. Well…by this time I had missed the lunch offered with my conference and was not happy. Went back down, sat in more of the conference, came back up and it still did not work. Eventually went down to the front desk to let them know and I was offered a piece of equipment that I COULD RENT for a $75 deposit, to boost THEIR signal, allowing it to reach my laptop. Took that upstairs and that did not work either; same low or nonexistent signal. Ran into someone in the elevator on the way up with this equipment who said he was the director of a/v and would come by my room before he left at 8. I thanked him and said that would be great and that I was headed back out to shop and would quickly return, but he never showed. I was there 4 days, unable to work. Sure, I suppose that after spending anywhere from 10 to 12 hours in the conference, I could have gone and sat in the lobby where the signal would have likely worked, but I was exhausted at the end of everyday and just wanted to relax in my comfortable clothing and get some work done in my room. I was assured by your website that there was Wi-Fi available in each room. This was not true and caused me so much stress and anxiety while I was away and should have been enjoying the conference and the break, but now I got to return to work even more stressed and more behind. I am very, very disappointed in the Omni for this.

To end on a good note, the bed was awesome, very comfortable. The room was nice and the closet was really big.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
It is very disappointing to hear the details of your recent stay at The Omni William Penn. There certainly isn't any excuse for the various issues that you experienced during your stay and for that we apologize. We would like to assure you and all future guests that this is not the standard and our goal and expectations are for each guest to have a pleasant and flawless stay. In addition, we will be undergoing a renovation starting in late 2010 that will not only include a total overhaul of our HVAC system but will also allow us to update any remainig rooms that have not been renovated including upgrades to the televisions. We appreciate that you also shared the positive aspects of your stay and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 20, 2010

We decided to stay at the William Penn based on some reviews stating it was the "best" hotel in Pittsburgh. While our room was huge and accommodated our child on a sofa bed, we were shocked by the condition of the room. We arrived to see a drink stain running down the window sill. The old model TV was not viewable from the bed. The wall paper was bubbling off the wall in several places . The mirror frames had multiple cracks and missing chunks. For premium prices, this was a very tired hotel well past its prime.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
We regret to hear about your recent experience at The Omni William Penn Hotel. Although we do make all efforts to maintain the cleanliness and appearance of our guest rooms it is obvious that we fell below your standards and our own during your stay. We are currently planning to update all remaining guest rooms in the 4th quarter of this year and if you would consider staying with us again we know you would return to find the Omni that you had initially expected to experience. Please accept our apologies and we hope to have you stay with us again.
Tucson
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Location: convenient public parking garage across the street. Excellent view from the room of interesting and beautiful buildings.
Room: Clean, very comfortable king bed, and a hair dryer that actually is decent--a definite plus.
Hotel: Didn't check out the fitness center, but the lobby is beautiful, with lots of historic photos and information all around. You can easily imagine Pittsburgh in its heyday while staying at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time at The Omni William Penn. It was a pleasure to read your review and we thank you for taking the time to share it online.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We were in town for Accepted Student Visit at Pitt. Had hoped to stay on campus, but could not book the rooms we wanted so we decided to stay at the Omni. Well, we will be back, and back, and back! Our son was impressed with Pitt and will be attending there. We will be staying at the Omni everytime we visit. Check in wqs a breeze. Our room was beautifully furnished, smoke free, spacious, king bed was comfy. Dinner at the Terrace Restaurant was delicious. We chose to eat there again the 2nd night even though there were many other wonderful restaurants in close proximity. Only criticisms: Our morning coffee order was never picked up from the door knob on Friday night, so we had no wake up coffee....used the coffee pot in the room, but we had wanted fresh coffee and juice! Second morning my husband just went to the lobby Starbucks to get me my coffee fix.

Our room 1101 backed up to a bank of elevators, and as a very light sleeper I was distracted and woke up at night several times. But, we were overwhelmingly pleased and will be back!

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your son's acceptance to Pitt . We have hosted many loyal Pitt families over the years and are happy to welcome you to the ranks of Panthers Fans that call The Omni William Penn their home base when visiting. Many thanks for your review and we will look forward to your next stay!