“the problem they are having is attention to detail...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni William Penn Hotel

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
austin, texas
“the problem they are having is attention to detail...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

This hotel....I was completely looking forward to staying here. Typically, I enjoy staying in boutique-style hotels. There are none in downtown Pittsburgh, so this was as close as I could get.
My feelings about this place are mixed.
When I checked in they tried to charge me $25 more per night than the rate I had negotiated. I am a federal employee and need the federal rate. Prior to reserving a room I had spoken with management, who were very helpful and accomodating. I planned to stay here (I am writing this review from my room!) for 7 nights. Thus, the $119/night was acceptable to them.

First, my room is not too small, but is not like the pictures online. Compared to NYC rooms it is LUXURY, but it is typical of the size of say the Kimpton rooms in DC. My bed is comfortable, clean linens, etc. Please note that fully 1/4-1/3 of the rooms in this hotel have NO view, unless you are a peeping tom. Look at the picture: the lovely crenelations mean many rooms face each other. I did not complain, as I was to be in LONG meetings out of the hotel every day, but you would think that when someone was going to be here 7 nights they would try to make that person's stay delightful. WRONG! My room faced a brick wall.

Attention to detail: the bed was made up very sloppily. The two flat sheet system lets the uncareful attendant leave your feet on the mattress proper instead of enclosed in sheets. The bed skirt was on occasion made up with the bed. I almost took pictures, but well, description works.
The fixtures in the bathroom are old and loud, the sink pockmarked. The furniture has vacuum scuffs.
My tea was replaced only twice. The bathroom sundries were randomly restocked. However, happily, my towel was not replaced when I hung it up (I hate it when they do that!).

My major beef: The atention to detail when it came to morning coffee and newspaper. I have decided to check out one day early, but in the 6 mornings I had here, I only got the following right ONE TIME: coffee, V8, NYT and local paper. I filled this out on a card every evening and every morning except once it was WRONG. I HATE having to call people to complain at 6 in the morning, but I ABHOR not having things right when I am sleepy and just want my coffee, juice, and news. Is that too much to ask? apparently at this hotel it is. Ugh.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zuuel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

Location was great! Staff was great! Room was a bit small, but the sizes are isted on the website, so can't complain.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Thank you for your review. We hope you will stay with us again soon!
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

The location is fabulous, we attended a wedding at the history center. The Hampton would have been fine too, we stayed there the previous night, but for the value of comfort and the fact we got the Omni for half the cost on priceline, we were very happy guests. Amazing architecture, old churches and history in the area. We strolled around the river and noticed that Lewis and Clark set sail there. The history center was nice also, and a short walk to the Omni. The bed and view were wonderful from the room and it was clean.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Omni William Penn and our great downtown location. We feel very fortunate to be surrounded by so much history and amazing architecture. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will stay with us again soon.
Apple Creek, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Omni on a Saturday night. I had booked the room by bidding on Priceline, and was extremely happy when this hotel came up. The Valet parking was astronomical, as it is in most cities, so we parked across the street in the underground garage for $5 / 24 hours. We came and left a couple of times, so it cost us a little more overall, but still less than valet parking. There is a bit of a rush when you arrive, as there isn't anywhere to actually park your car and unload. It's just the street, you, and some unhappy motorists behind you. You might be able to pull over if a lot of people aren't arriving/departing at that particular time. Check in was easy. I strongly suggest joining the Omni Club on-line. We were given exactly what we asked for: high level, down pillows, extra towels, blow-dryer, etc. The hotel had an absolutely beautiful lobby. Our room was very nice, if a little bit dated. It looked out onto the park (underground garage) across the street. We didn't want to put out the cash for an extravagant breakfast, so went to Bruegger's for bagels. You can get there without even leaving the building! We had a very nice stay and recommend the hotel (especially if you get it through Priceline!)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iambells
Thank you for your recommendation of the Omni William Penn Hotel. We appreciate all of your feedback and are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our Select Guest program. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Understanding that this hotel is nearly 100 years old -- with all the attention to detail and historic charm commensurate -- you can forgive the rooms being somewhat awkward as they have been modernized. With hotels of that era, the beauty is found in the common areas and lobby, while rooms are very comfortable.

Notes on amenities: Wi-Fi is free if you simply sign up for their frequent guest program; you can valet park or self-park in the city garage across the street, but if you need in-and-out, valet may be a better value; and although I did not dine at the property on this trip, I have previously and it was outstanding.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Omni William Penn. We think you have some great tips for other travelers. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

My first impressions of this hotel were very positive - wonderful vibe inside, nice rooms, very helpful staff. My departure was at 5.15 am. I had them print a bill and I ran out. Well, the bill doesn't even show the location of the hotel - a complication if you plan to be reimbursed. Then, I noticed a number of factual error on my bill, including two long-distance calls. I phoned the hotel and they were nice enough about it all, removing the charges - or so they say. They promised an immediate corrected bill as a PDF email attachment. Over a day later and I'm still waiting. They also confirmed that there isn't any identification on the bill - weird! Perhaps worse is the remark, as the guest representative cheerfully deleted the bogus phone calls from my bill - 'no problem, sir, we're having lots of problems with the accounting system...' So how many people got charged for items they didn't purchase and were too busy or too timid to call? Unacceptable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

As you enter the lobby of the Omni William, you can feel the elegance all around you. Look up and see the amazing crystal chandeliers and hear the grand piano. The rooms are clean and quite comfortable. The Tap Room Bar and Restaurant takes you back in time. The public transportation system in Pittsburgh makes getting around town simple.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
It is a pleasure for us to hear that you found all that you were looking for at the Omni William Penn. We appreciate your review and hope to have you as our guest again soon.