“Rooms ok, GREAT GYM for a hotel!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni William Penn Hotel

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
New York
“Rooms ok, GREAT GYM for a hotel!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

The one thing that really compelled me to write a review for this hotel is their gym. This gym is described as accessible 24 hrs and next to the front desk - not a good sign in my book. I was fully expecting to find your typical converted office with a broken down universal machine and a sub par bike or treadmill.

What I found was a gym with its own elevator access which was by hotel standards - huge, clean and fully appointed with multiple PRECOR treadmills and ellipticals, a robust line of CYBEX machines, free weights, tvs, a lounge and bathroom with shower, as well as stocked with water and fruit.

This gym alone would make me stay here again!

I admit, the rooms are a little tired in this hotel and my room faced the back above the equipment which was noisy at times. But, the bed was very comfortable and room/sheets/towels clean.

The lobby was nicely old world appointed and I saw many guests lounging and enjoying cocktails and coffee in the plentiful and comfortable seats.

When I arrived, the valet presented me with 2 options for parking. $27 valet, no charge in and out, or $14 self park with the comment that 'most people opt for the $27 valet'.

• Liked — GREAT GYM!
  • Disliked — Noisy equipment below room.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2008
Thank you for your review of the Omni William Penn. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our gym. We know that it is not always easy to get a good workout in while away from home so we have done our best to provide a facility that meets the needs of the fitness minded. In addition to the gym we also provide get fit rooms and get fit kits for those that prefer a workout in the privacy of their own room. We again would like to express our appreciation for your feedback and we hope to have you back again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Turkish first
Halifax, NS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I must say I am extremely shocked to read some of the negative posts about the Omni William Penn. My husband and I stayed there during the weekend of Oct 24-27. The purpose of the trip was to see the Steelers. We wanted a hotel that had easy access to Heinz Field but also shopping, dining and sightseeing. The William Penn has the ideal location for that – walking distance to Station Square, the Strip District, the Cultural District and all 3 major sports facilities.

We booked the Leisure Weekend package with breakfast. The breakfast was a beautiful buffet every morning with omelets made-to-order, bacon & sausage, juice & coffee, fresh fruit, cereals, cheeses and specialty breads. Just present the card to your server, taxes and gratuities included. Our room was very comfortable with a king sized bed, a large plasma tv, comfortable lounge chair and a marble bathroom. All personal amenties (shampoo, conditioner, body cream, mouthwash, etc.) were available, which allowed us to not have to bring liquids in our carry-on luggage. There were also 2 bathrobes and plenty of fresh towels. Every evening, we had turn-down service with little chocolates and the tv turned to the mood channel. The bed was heavenly, with crisp sheets and a cozy duvet. The view was not great but not many rooms would have a view because of the way the hotel is designed. It in no way detracted from the room itself.

The hotel has two main dining spaces – The Terrace Restaurant and the Taproom Pub. We ate most of our meals at the hotel, not just for convenience, but because the food is very good and the service excellent. The Taproom became our place to relax after a long day of sightseeing, to enjoy a drink and a meal. Be warned – the sandwiches are huge and I never could finish my meals! The pub becomes quite crowded by 9pm but it’s a chance to make some new friends. It was great fun after the football game when Steelers and Giants fans hung out together!

Pittsburgh is a destination that we hope to revisit soon and there is no question we will stay at the William Penn again. It is not cheap to fly from Halifax to Pittsburgh but we will do it again – and hopefully the next time we can add a Penguins game to the itinerary!

• Liked — Bed, location
  • Disliked — View
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a delight for us to hear of your stay at the Omni William Penn. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and we will look forward to welcoming you back to Pittsburgh!
MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

We made a reservation on the website, which was quick and easy. We arrived at the hotel on weekday around 5:00pm. Check-in was tough as the road was congested and we didn't have time or space to unload.

Valet was very helpful (always friendly) and directed us to a parking garage across the street where the cost is $5 every time you leave. Upon entering the garage we noticed this is the same space the valets use, so it's safe and secure.

We reservered a room with a King bed. Upon entering the room was a bit smaller than we anticipated, but it's a Historic hotel, so that's understandable. The headboard of the bed was an entire wall of mirrors- made us feel like we were in an hourly motel, not a Historic Omni hotel. The furniture was tired and the bathroom had much to be desired. Dirty tiles, mold, and peeling paint were abundent.

The bed was comfortable, sheets were soft and the down comforter was a nice touch. We stayed three nights and did not see housekeeping once. We didn't have a private sign up, so I can't figure out why we were continually skipped. I even called down nightly, let the FD know we were skipped AGAIN and made a towel request. No apology. We even saw a Housekeeper and mentioned we were leaving and she could clean- again, nothing.

The resort seems tired and either understaffed in areas or they just don't care.

I will end with a huge compliment to the Tea Room. Dave, our waiter was fantastic. Very classy and friendly. The food was fantastic and priced accurately,

The Omni needs some work; however, it is a nice location, but for the price there are many other options.

• Liked — Staff was always friendly, great location, comfortable bed. food
  • Disliked — Cleanliness in the room.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Madison778
Thank you for making us aware of the shortfall in service that you received during your recent stay. We deeply apologize for the breakdown in the housekeeping service that occurred, as this is not typical of the service that we provide. The hotel consistently ranks in the top 10 in the Omni chain for both service and cleanliness. We take great pride in the hotel, and are currently in the process of a multi-million dollar renovation process. Three floors of our guestrooms are newly renovated (Floors 6,7,& 10) with the remaining floors slated to commence in the near future. The Omni William Penn is truly a Grand hotel, and we hope that you will return to experience our new look on a future vist.
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Stayed at this hotel last week for 4 nights as my husband was attending a convention. Everything was great until we realized that our cell phone and passports had been stolen out of our room while I was taking a shower on the morning of our check out. Hotel Security denied that anyone had gained entry into our room that morning, and we were told that we had "misplaced" them. Not impressed with the lack of security management or an official report on our missing items. Pretty brazen for someone to enter a hotel room while a guest is in the shower to steal. What a shame as up until this time, we were really enjoying our stay at the Omni. Note to all future customers of this hotel... MAKE SURE YOU USE THE ADDITIONAL SECURITY LOCKS ON YOUR DOOR. We now have to replace these items to the tune of $500 and left the hotel feeling like no one really cared or perhaps was covering up this theft. Lack of interest and caring from management is what has really left us with a bad taste in our mouths with what should have been a pleasurable stay.

Stayed October 2008
Thank you for letting us know about the incident that occurred during your stay with us. We certainly apologize for the lack of concern that you felt upon reporting the incident to the hotel. The response that you received from our Loss Prevention office is certainly not acceptable. In any situation that a guest feels that items are missing, Loss Prevention should offer to contact local police to have the guest file a report, in addition to the internal report that created and filed by the hotel representative responding to the call. As far as checking to see if anyone has entered the room, the technology with our current "key card" system does permit us to do a "lock read" on any door to determine if anyone has entered the room. This procedure should have been automatically enacted. Although there are many times when a guest reports a theft, and later finds the items had been misplaced, it should never be assumed that this is the case. Each incident should be given the utmost consideration and attention. We apolgize for our failure to do so in this situation.
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the William Penn for our first weekend getaway in many years, so I was hoping it would be something special. Our stay at this hotel gave the trip that little extra to make it special.
The location of the hotel right in downtown Pittsburgh made it perfect for exploring the city, as it seemed nothing was more than a 15 minute drive from this central location. I found the view of the hotel exciting as we pulled off the highway and turned onto 6th St.
Parking in the underground lot was convenient for only $5. Mild inconvenience carrying our bags up a small flight of stairs, but if you have a lot you could just drop them off at the front door prior to parking.
I love the old world charm of seeing bellman out front and Valets running all over the place parking guests cars. Upon entry to the lobby, we were sept away with the size of the hotel, the chandeliers, the music playing, guests everywhere mingling - nothing like we have experienced at any other hotel before.
We walked over to the front desk, and I got my reservation paperwork out ready to go through the usual check in to get a good room, but I just gave my name to the friendly girl at the front desk, and she stepped off to the side and brought over a pre-made package with my name on it. Since I had signed up to be a "Select Guest" ahead of time, they had my room and everything ready. Check in was less than 30 seconds on a Friday night at 7pm!
We made our way up to the room, which was large, beautifully appointed, and settled in. About 30 minutes after arrival, there was a knock at our door, and the hotel had sent up a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, on the house! Talk about making us feel welcome!
Over the next couple of days, we enjoyed a late dinner at The Tap House (pub in the hotel), and breakfast at Brueggers (a bagel shop at the back of the hotel). Both were great.
All the staff at the hotel always made eye contact and greeted with a smile, even the many housekeeping staff we would see in the hallways.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for anything better, except the weather, which I won't blame the hotel for.

Thank you Omni William Penn, you're the best!

• Liked — The Old World Charm
  • Disliked — Views from room were poor due to being surrounded by skyscrapers.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
What a wonderful review of our hotel! We are so happy that we were able to be part of what made your weekend so special. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and we hope to have you back again.
Broomfield, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

This is an awesome old hotel, with its charming and impressive lobby and conference rooms. The staff could not be more accommodating when it comes to your needs. Room service was good. However, there was an issue with my card being charged accidentally. I had reserved two rooms under my own check card, and when we arrived my cohort asked them to be charged to her own card. Two days into the 5 day stay, I had a thousand dollar charge on my account. Suddenly I had very little money to spend. Although the issue was cleared up soon, the hassle of fixing it took up my valuable time and there was not only NO apology, there was no attempt to compensate me for the problem. Even a simple comped english muffin would have likely made me happy. Other than that, the only problem was the orange water that spouted out of my bath faucet. I decided a shower was a better idea. You have to know the pipes here are old like everything else. The double room I requested was spacious and clean. The beds could be more comfortable. The mattresses are stiff, but the feather comforters and pillows somewhat make up for it. Very nice concierge and even the staff you meet in the halls are lovely. I found that I could deal with the confusing corridors and elevators very quickly. You just have to pay good attention to the signs.

• Liked — ambience
  • Disliked — orange water
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Please accept our deepest apologies for the confusion with your check card. It is unacceptable for our associates not to act upon the initial request to change the charges over to the other specified card, and then to offer no apology for the service breakdown. This is not our typical level of service, and we regret any inconvenience that this caused to you during your weekend. Our associates are certainly empowered to offer a form of compensation for a service failure, and in this situation they should have done so. We do appreciate all of the positive comments that you have shared on your experience as well. We take great pride in the hotel, and are consistently seeking ways to improve our levels of customer service. We are hopeful that you will give us another opportunity to serve you when you make a future visit to Pittsburgh.
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the William Penn Omni during Labor Day weekend. Our room was clean and spacious. I was looking forward for their much advertised tea service in the afternoon, and to our disappointment, it was canceled that week. So even though we stayed 4 nights we did not experience it.
Also, we had to call the housekeeping to refill our coffee/tea beverages. It took the houskeeping hour and half to bring up some tea bags.
On our last day there, we woke up 7am in the morning to really loud banging noise outside our door. Without telling us, they had scheduled to repair the baseboards in the hallway just outside our door. When I brought it to the frondesks attention, she simply replied "I'm sorry for the inconvenience."
Good location, nice room, not so good with service.

• Liked — Cleanliness/location
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple