“lovely and historical”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed December 3, 2012

it was a lovely stay with a very modern room and all amenities
in an historical area of the city. We had dinner which was terrific--
far above usual hotel fare. would definitely recommend.
the lobby is spacious in the old tradition.

Room Tip: i had an inside room. the walls are very thick but the hallways picked up noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for recommending the Omni William Penn on TripAdvisor!

There are newer reviews for Omni William Penn Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Taking a step back in time as we entered the beautifully decorated main lobby we were promptly greeted and helped to check in. As Select Guests we had a speedy check in (though we opted out of express check in, allowing us to do so online before we arrived). We were welcomed to our room by classical music, complementary bottled water and a welcome letter. We started each morning with a delivered beverage. The hotel itself has been restored to its glory with details down every hallway. The Christmas decorations were amazing! Location was great for walking to ice skating, Randall Toys and the classic Macy's. This hotel really set the mood for our romantic weekend getaway!

• Stayed: December 2012

We are delighted that you enjoyed your romantic getaway to the Omni William Penn. Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor and we hope you will consider us for future getaways!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Once upon a time, I traveled more for business, and the business paid more for hotel rooms. The Omni was my favorite thanks to its location, the Select Guest Program and the overall quality. Well, travel is down and so is the travel budget so I've had to make do elsewhere.

I was able to take advantage of a $99 per night deal for a two night stay, and it was a lovely return. The lobby is ready for Christmas, which makes the hotel seem even more festive.

My room was ready when I arrived at 2 p.m., although my key wasn't in the rack - I had issues doing online check in, and was checked in by the telephone support staff and they didn't change my arrival time (which had changed from the time I made the reservation originally). No big deal.

Internet was slow, but since it's free with Select Guest, I am in no position to complain and I wasn't working and didn't need a speedy connection. It may have been my room location as much as anything.

The room was a little small compared to other stays, but I had a cheap rate, and I've had huge rooms in the past, so again, no big deal. Sometimes it's a huge room, other times, not so much!

One of my favorite things about Select Guest is the beverage delivery. However, there were no door tags to place my order on either night of my stay. The first night, the front desk took care of the order. The second night, the front desk asked why I didn't use the tags - because I don't have any?- but eventually took my order. The funny thing was the order didn't arrive at 8. We checked at 8:05 and 8:15, but nothing was there except my bill (that ALWAYS arrives!) and a paper. So, we called the desk at about 8:20, they say it's been delivered and yes, somehow, the stuff had been delivered although no one knocked or not a rattle of the dishware. So, anyway, I call that the "Select Stealth Delivery Plan". I felt like an idiot calling down to the desk, but it wasn't there and it was funny trying to figure out how it was dropped off onto the floor with nary a noise!

I normally use the valet, but chose to self park - the valet area was a mess when I arrived and frankly, it was a disaster out there every single time we walked out of the building. Not sure what was going on this weekend that it was such a joke to try to use the service. Oh well, I had more money for drinks in the Tap Room with the savings!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. The Tap Room was good, the staff is always nice and I still love the perks of the Select Guest program.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

We are so glad you could take advantage of our $99 offer but regret that we didn't exceed all of your expectations upon your return. We are thankful for the opportunity to read about where we could have improved your stay so that we may make the necessary adjustments. Although we wish that everything would have been perfect we are glad that you still enjoyed your time with us and we hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Omni William Penn has one of the most impressive and beautiful lobbies any hotel could have. It is backed up by good standard rooms on floors which are historical and opulently decorated and lit. The ultra professional staff rise to the standards of the decor and I found them absolutely professional and helpful. The Terrace Room, the main dining room has a 50-foot ceiling, massive widows and is beautiful in the sense that Parisian belle epoque decoration from the early 1900s is beautiful. The quality of the food and service were absolutely impressive. The buffet breakfast is quite wonderful. I doubt that anyone could find a breakfast item that is missing or less than excellent among the offerings. I have particular preferences at breakfast and this hotel, unusually, satisfied them without any need for special requests. I loved the jazz playing live in the lobby on Friday night and Sunday morning. This is a great experience hotel that is affordable. I was visiting friends in Pittsburgh and was not expecting much of the city. I was very agreeably surprised by the quiet beauty of Pittsburgh, its cleanliness, preserved architecture, its excellent museums, its river connection and bridges. The Omni is a fitting hotel for such a gracious city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

We are delighted to read that both our hotel and our city exceeded your expectations. Thank you for sharing all of your kind words and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I spent the past Thanksgiving weekend in Pittsburgh. We usually stay at this hotel because of the location and because of the level of service. It is old and full of charm. The lobby was decorated for Christmas and provided a cheery, warm place to relax. The room was immaculate and large. The restaurants ( Tap Room and the Terrace Room ) serve excellent food from the same kitchen. The seafood gumbo is to die for. We always use valet parking which is convenient, especially as we tend to use the car several times each day. I really like this hotel chain for the level of service and value it provides. I'll be visiting again next year.

Room Tip: Corner rooms sometimes don't have writing desks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for making a stay at the Omni William Penn an annual tradition. We are pleased to read that you always enjoy your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

My niece had her wedding party here and the entire family from all over the country stayed at the Omni. Walking into the front door is an experience in itself. The lobby has very high ceilings and the decor has spared no expense. You feel rich just entering it.
The Omni reminds me of the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco.This is high praise. The Terrace Room is just off the lobby and is a excellent choice for lunch or dinner.The staff is of European decent and give wonderful service.
I will stay here the next visit to Pittsburgh.
The only thing they need to improve is the softness of the room towels and the toilet paper...lol!I would have given them a 5 star if not for those 2 things!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a view! I was in at least 4 rooms and they were all similar.All the room...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank PeggyChism

Thank you for your complimentary review of the Omni William Penn. We are delighted that you enjoyed your niece's wedding celebration with us and we even appreciate your hints on what we could improve! We are glad to know that you would consider staying with us during future visits to Pittsburgh and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel is nice, but could be updated. Nothing to really complain about. It is realized as an established hotel in the city. A lot of business around there. Not ideal for walking in the financial district though. Parking is underground across the hotel, which is convenient. All in all - its an OK stay. Not wow, not bad. Very functional. The building is a historic one. I guess if you were a frequent Omni Traveler, this might be good - but since I'm not, it was a very basic stay for me.

Room Tip: Maybe something with a view would be good
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate your review and regret that your experience wasn't a more memorable one. If you stay with us in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us prior to your arrival and let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.