“Usually excellent,,but the WPenn slipped up recently”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I usually count on the "Billy Penn" as the standard by which others should be measured. However the last trip from 10/25 to 10/27 was an uncomforting disappointment and I think Management should know this and not allow any slides or complacency. The Good: Excellent room service, comfortable bed, great shower and friendly staff as always. The Bad: I always book my favorite room in advance and usually I get it. This time I was told I had the room I prefer as usual. I got there and I was switched! This room was laid out differently and not to my liking. Worst of all, the heat was on and I could not adjust the temperature. I called the desk twice and told one of the room attendants and I got no answer or help. I also found a pair of dirty socks from the prior guest at the foot of the bed I was in - Gross! On the last day I ordered the bagel & fruit sampler for breakfast it was around 5 or 6 dollars. You know what fruit samples came up? A single banana. If it was anyone else, I'd rate this experience terrible,,but I will leave it is "Poor". To William Penn management: \Was this a bad day or was it a sign you are going soft? Dirty socks in the room is a huge blunder and to me that means you are not clean..You will get one more chance from me in the future. Don't screw it up.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about rooms that have working climate control in advance. And tell WP mgmt that if...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

We regret that after many wonderful stays, your most recent experience at our hotel fell short of your expectations and our own. It is not acceptable for a pair of socks to have been left in the room and we will address this with the appropriate individuals in housekeeping. We also apologize that we were unable to place you in your preferred room. Many factors can affect our ability to provide our guests with a specific room such as the late or extended departure of a previous guest. In addition, we are addressing your temperature concerns in our upcoming renovation and will share your breakfast feedback with our food and beverage team. In spite of the issues you experienced, we are thankful for another chance to have you as our guest. We assure you that our commitment to service is unwavering and we are certain that your next stay will reflect the attention to detail that you have come to expect from The Omni William Penn.

There are newer reviews for Omni William Penn Hotel

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I'm originally from Pittsburgh and usually stay with family when I return on business - but they were out of town and so I stayed at the William Penn due to the convenience factor to meetings I had for work in the area. The hotel itself shows the beauty of it's history. All the hotel staff I came upon were very friendly and helpful.

The room itself was spacious and clean - with a walk in closet, which is nice for hanging work clothes. The bathroom was modern and had everything I needed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your complimentary review of The Omni William Penn. We are glad you enjoyed your experience at our hotel.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I have stayed at the William Penn several times while visiting my son at PITT. It is a beautiful old hotel with large comfortable, quiet rooms. If you are a member of the Omni select guest program you get free wifi and complimentary coffee delivered to your room each morning. The location is ideal. It is within walking distance to Heinz field, PNC park, the convention center, shopping and dining. It is 5 minutes by car to Oakland where PITT and Carnegie Mellon are located. There is a Starbucks in the lobby as well as a small pub (Tap room), lobby dining (Palm court) and the more formalTerrace restaurant (expensive). The hotel offers valet parking at the ridiculous price of $27/day or now you can self park in the garage across the street for $5. The room rates are not inexpensive but compared to many of the hotels in the area it is a better value. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni William Penn. We are glad that we can serve as your home away from home during your visits to your son at PITT. It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Room number 1011 is huge with a large living area and 1 and 1/2 baths. Beds and bedding are really comfortable. Join Omni's loyalty program and get complimentary morning beverages for 2, with a small charge for additional people. Great value. Just be sure to book the renovated side of hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011

We appreciate your recommendation of The Omni William Penn on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you had a great stay and hope you will return soon

Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel is very nice but I did not get much sleep, the room was hot every night. I was told the air conditioning was turned off for the fall/winter season and to open my windows. I did not feel comfortable opening my windows since I was staying on the 6th floor. For this to be such a nice hotel can not believe we did not have an option of air conditioning. I understand the cooler weather in Pittsburgh but my room was hot & miserable. I was not the only person who had this problem, I was there for business and other associates complained of the same problem.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Thank you very much for the feedback concerning your recent stay with us. We certainly understand the frustration that you experienced, and apologize that we were unable to do more to alleviate your discomfort. We are happy to let you know that the hotel will be experiencing a complete guest room renovation that will be commencing on January 1st of the coming new year, and included in this renovation will be a brand new heating and cooling system. The comfort of our guests is paramount to reaching our goal of 100% satisfaction for every guest. We are hopeful that you will continue to stay with us when you are traveling to Pittsburgh, and that you will join us and experience our brand new look as well as the other improvements that will be made to this Pittsburgh landmark hotel.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

I have stayed at the Omni William Penn in Pittsburgh several times over the past few months, and it is always a great experience. The main areas and rooms are very clean and well-maintained. And the inside of the hotel, particularly the lobby, is absolutely beautiful. Although it is an older hotel, I think that is the source of its charm and beauty. They amenities are very nice, the rooms are updated if not renovated, room service is prompt and accommodating, the restaurants are very good and maintain comfortable atmospheres, and the hotel staff attends your every need! I would recommend this hotel over any other in the area without hesitation.

Room Tip: ask for a room with an updated or large bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni William Penn and for your loyalty to our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stays with us and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

This was a very lovely and charming older hotel in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. The room was a bit small but very nice. The bed was comfortable which is always very important to me! The hotel staff were helpful and friendly. I was there for a work conference but I would certainly choose this hotel if I were traveling to Pittsburgh for any other reason

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

We appreciate your complimentary review of The Omni William Penn. Whether it is for business or pleasure, we hope to have you as our guest again soon.