“Historic Hotel Convenient to Business Area”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I'm originally from Pittsburgh and usually stay with family when I return on business - but they were out of town and so I stayed at the William Penn due to the convenience factor to meetings I had for work in the area. The hotel itself shows the beauty of it's history. All the hotel staff I came upon were very friendly and helpful.

The room itself was spacious and clean - with a walk in closet, which is nice for hanging work clothes. The bathroom was modern and had everything I needed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Thank you for your complimentary review of The Omni William Penn. We are glad you enjoyed your experience at our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Omni William Penn Hotel

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I have stayed at the William Penn several times while visiting my son at PITT. It is a beautiful old hotel with large comfortable, quiet rooms. If you are a member of the Omni select guest program you get free wifi and complimentary coffee delivered to your room each morning. The location is ideal. It is within walking distance to Heinz field, PNC park, the convention center, shopping and dining. It is 5 minutes by car to Oakland where PITT and Carnegie Mellon are located. There is a Starbucks in the lobby as well as a small pub (Tap room), lobby dining (Palm court) and the more formalTerrace restaurant (expensive). The hotel offers valet parking at the ridiculous price of $27/day or now you can self park in the garage across the street for $5. The room rates are not inexpensive but compared to many of the hotels in the area it is a better value. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni William Penn. We are glad that we can serve as your home away from home during your visits to your son at PITT. It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Room number 1011 is huge with a large living area and 1 and 1/2 baths. Beds and bedding are really comfortable. Join Omni's loyalty program and get complimentary morning beverages for 2, with a small charge for additional people. Great value. Just be sure to book the renovated side of hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011

We appreciate your recommendation of The Omni William Penn on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you had a great stay and hope you will return soon

Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel is very nice but I did not get much sleep, the room was hot every night. I was told the air conditioning was turned off for the fall/winter season and to open my windows. I did not feel comfortable opening my windows since I was staying on the 6th floor. For this to be such a nice hotel can not believe we did not have an option of air conditioning. I understand the cooler weather in Pittsburgh but my room was hot & miserable. I was not the only person who had this problem, I was there for business and other associates complained of the same problem.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Thank you very much for the feedback concerning your recent stay with us. We certainly understand the frustration that you experienced, and apologize that we were unable to do more to alleviate your discomfort. We are happy to let you know that the hotel will be experiencing a complete guest room renovation that will be commencing on January 1st of the coming new year, and included in this renovation will be a brand new heating and cooling system. The comfort of our guests is paramount to reaching our goal of 100% satisfaction for every guest. We are hopeful that you will continue to stay with us when you are traveling to Pittsburgh, and that you will join us and experience our brand new look as well as the other improvements that will be made to this Pittsburgh landmark hotel.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

I have stayed at the Omni William Penn in Pittsburgh several times over the past few months, and it is always a great experience. The main areas and rooms are very clean and well-maintained. And the inside of the hotel, particularly the lobby, is absolutely beautiful. Although it is an older hotel, I think that is the source of its charm and beauty. They amenities are very nice, the rooms are updated if not renovated, room service is prompt and accommodating, the restaurants are very good and maintain comfortable atmospheres, and the hotel staff attends your every need! I would recommend this hotel over any other in the area without hesitation.

Room Tip: ask for a room with an updated or large bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni William Penn and for your loyalty to our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stays with us and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

This was a very lovely and charming older hotel in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. The room was a bit small but very nice. The bed was comfortable which is always very important to me! The hotel staff were helpful and friendly. I was there for a work conference but I would certainly choose this hotel if I were traveling to Pittsburgh for any other reason

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

We appreciate your complimentary review of The Omni William Penn. Whether it is for business or pleasure, we hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Omni William Penn Hotel has alot class as well as history. Lawrence Welk, his orchestra and his famous bubble machine played there. Bob Hope proposed to his wife Delores at the Omni William Penn. Many celebrities and of course, Steelers fans love this place. It was exciting to stay at such a beautifully preserved and well maintained hotel. Service was excellent. My favorite spot was the Prevail hair salon-definitely try it!!! Also, the Omni Willam Penn is a very cool place to host a special event. The food is wonderful and the banquet rooms are gorgeous! The Omni William Penn has every modern convenience and yet, there is a timelessness about this vintage hotel. Pittsburgh, treasure it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 16th floor are under the banquet rooms. If you are concerned that a party's mus...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

We do our best to protect the history and character of our hotel while providing modern conveniences and are glad to see this well reflected in your review. It was a pleasure for us to read about your stay and we hope to welcome you back again soon.