“Shopaholics paradise”

Red Roof PLUS+ Pittsburgh South Airport
Ranked #51 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I drive to Pittsburgh two or three times a year specifically to shop in the area around this Red Roof Inn. Many department stores and Big Box stores are nearby as are good restaurants and a great Giant Eagle supermarket. Shoppers' paradise, and a favorite of the locals.

This Red Roof Inn is newly-renovated and I recommend the superior rooms with fridge, freezer, and microwave, so if you don't feel like going out to eat, you can dine in your room. The beds are new and comfortable and the flat screen TV (although it could be bigger!) is a nice bonus.

I stayed here again in mid-February and had a perfect stay as usual. I have to single out Ava at the front desk. She was great--very friendly and efficient, and when I decided to extend my stay, she got me a great rate. Thanks Ava!

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room in the lower building.
2  Thank Iceblueagle
RedRoofInnpitt, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Pittsburgh South Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Sharing your review and comments is greatly appreciated. Our location, as mentioned, is perfect for shopping and the many restaurants within a very short distance. Thank you for recommending our are newly renovated rooms and the superior king room you stayed in. All of our rooms now have new flat screen TV's with high definition. I will share your kind words with Ava and our entire team. Thank you for your patronage and look forward to seeing you on your next shopping spree.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

THE GOOD (the reason I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1)
-The rooms are fairly spacious, and the hardwood floor is a nice touch
-There was a lovely woman at the front desk last night (3/13/14) was extremely helpful and accommodating. There was a large group of people waiting to check in, and I could tell she was almost flustered, but that didn't interfere with her pleasant demeanor. I wish I had gotten her name, but if management is reading this...whoever worked that evening at checkin was wonderful.

THE BAD (where those missing stars went)
-I'm traveling with a group, so I've been able to visit a few different rooms. Some don't reek of smoke. One of my team had to switch rooms because the smell was so unbearable. My room is bearable, but just barely. All of our towels (which are very rough) smell vaguely of smoke.
-I've never heard of housekeeping that replaces the towels but doesn't straighten up the beds. Until now.
-The woman downstairs tonight (3/14) was rude and unaccommodating. I miss the other lovely lady.

THE UGLY
-My wall (and the wall of my colleagues down the hall) has picture hangers...and no picture. Not a deal breaker but...huh? My mind is running away with me...where did the mysterious picture go? Is it taking a smoke break?

TRAVEL HAIKU
Red Roof Inn: Pittsburgh
I do not like the smoke smell
Where is my painting?

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments. The "good" was shared with Phyllis. She is a valued employee and I'm fortunate to have her on my team.

The "bad" - being a non-smoking hotel is not always met with compliance by some of our smoking guests. We do our best to have housekeeping inform our front desk as early as posssible so that with the help of our maintenance team the room can be restored to a non-smoking condition. In your group's experience, not all of your rooms met that standard. We are currently in the proceess of upgrading our bath towels and the negative comments have been adrressed with the GSR on duty the next day.

The "ugly" - the guest room picture frame was broken and a new one is on order.

Thanks for your comments. If you and your collegues are in Pittsburgh in the future, I hope you would give us consideration for your stay.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I flew into Pittsburgh from belize. the weather was very bad and the people who were to pick me up couldn't. The hotel arranged for me to be picked up by a van. When I arrived at the hotel I was very impressed by the cleanliness and layout of the hotel.

A young man named Brian cleans the rooms and I believe he takes extreme pride in the job he does.

Room Tip: I believe you will find any of the rooms clean and comfortable
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for submitting your positive review. It sure has been a nasty winter and I'm glad we were able to accommodate you when the weather ruined your plans.

I will share your comments to Brian as well as the entire staff. He will be glad to hear his work efforts were appreciated by you.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I arrived at night and the lady was rather rude when I checked in. She was better when i asked about a hair dryer later. Overall, I had no issues with the room...except the toilet had not flushed all of the way and the housekeeper should have noticed. Room was quiet, very little parking and great location to interstate, airport, malls and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Minx9114
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Ava and Holly and the house keeping were amazing. I want to single Holly out for accommodating me. I had an issue with my room and she immediately switched it thus providing superior customer service. Also she was working alone when I came to check in and she had everything under control even though she was busy. Then I heard when she left the front desk she did some house keeping. Ava was super nice and personable also.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 22, 2014

In early February I spent five nights at the Red Roof, Pittsburgh South Airport location. I am in Pittsburgh frequently, and I always stay at this particular property. It is very close to numerous restaurants and shopping facilities. It is convenient to both downtown Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh International and provides highly dependable courtesy shuttle service to the airport, as well. The property was recently completely redecorated, and the new look and amenities are most attractive and comfortable.

While all of these factors are important, my primary reason for staying at the Red Roof Pittsburgh South Airport is the welcoming, accommodating demeanor exhibited by the front desk staff. Each agent, in his or her own way, makes guests feel so appreciated. Ava, Bill, Carolyn, Phyllis and Sharon go out of their way to make us feel at home, and I want to thank each and every one of them.

In this instance, I want to particularly acknowledge the thoughtfulness of Sharon. I checked in on Feb. 1st. When Sharon discovered that I was there that evening, she called my room to see how I was doing and if I needed anything. It occurred to me that Sharon always does this on the first shift she works after I have checked in. This kind of personal attention certainly makes you feel as if you are at home. It is the many thoughtful little gestures like this regularly exhibited by Sharon and her coworkers at the front desk that make my every experience at the Red Roof Pittsburgh South so memorable and delightful. It is their personal concern for guests that keeps so many of us returning to that property again and again.

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was great. Very clean . Tony and Carolyn was great working with them . My truck was down and this was a great place to stay. Im looking forward to doing business here again. If you want a great stay then come here .

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business