“Wary of reviews but had a great time!”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #55 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I got a great deal for the Wyndham through Travelzoo for $99 hotel. Then I read the Trip Advisor reviews. (Remind me next time to do that in reverse order.) However, we really enjoyed our stay; from pulling up to a downtown hotel valet service (we had our two teens with us who don't live in a city) to looking out of our river facing room on the 21st floor to the awesome pool and fitness room. My son said it felt like "he was living in a condo that he brought with him to stay in." It does have that corporate feel to it, with modern furniture and angled lines. I was worried this might be the wrong fit for families but it was fine. Also the Front Desk person (Emily?) was like a Wyndham representative on a commercial; big smile, courteous and on the ball.

Here is the key as to why I think we had a great stay: It was colder than a witch's you know what (which is my awesome lead-in pun joke to the fact that we were there to see the musical Wicked at the Benedum.) But honestly, not a real desirable time of year to go to Pittsburgh and sure enough it snowed big time. Difficult drive back to Maryland, but in Pittsburgh on Saturday, we had the streets to ourselves! Not a bad approach if you don't like crowds and you want upgrades and special treatment! Cabs are scarce so you really do need to walk to get places. The hotel offers a free shuttle but only until 9 pm. They do hand out free cab vouchers for after those hours and for Saturday when we walked to the Toonseum but we never saw one cab the entire time we were there. It's not like DC or NYC in the transportation area.

Here is an interesting thing: When I called the Wyndham general number they said there was no pool at the hotel. Thank Goodness I chose to follow my Mom's sage advice that you ALWAYS pack a bathing suit no matter where you travel because at the Wyndham Grand there is a ROCKIN' indoor, small pool and hot tub that overlooks the city! Huge big glass windows. It connects to the fitness center where my daughter and I used the treadmills since running outside was impossible. Then we jumped in the hot tub. Nice way to start the day before sight seeing.

We did not eat in the restaurant since it was a pricey breakfast. Tip: There is a McDonald's withing walking distance of the hotel so my husband and son got breakfast to go for everyone and brought it back to the hotel. It was almost like having room service without the service or without those little jelly jars on the trays that no one ever uses.

Which leads me to another observation: A lot of the reviews mentioned seeing many trays left in the hallways. There were some and I do think they need to have a corporate meeting with their housekeeping staff on ways to improve this problem. The hotel was not that full and they still had trays out. Didn't bother me too much as we were just so happy to have such a memorable view from our room of the incline and Mt Washington. It was so impressive that we slept with the curtains open just to enjoy it longer. The kids took a million Instagram photos so it was a real hit. The rooms are smaller but this did not bother us. We watched a Tom Cruise movie, napped, read and relaxed. I thought the beds were really comfortable with European style white down comforters which I like better than bedspreads.

This is a nice downtown hotel if you are frequenting the Theater/Cultural area. Walking to the incline and Station Square is not advisable even though they look "close." We hope next time in better weather to run on the Heritage Trails around the Point. There are maps on line. Lots to do in Pittsburgh; a great city!

Room Tip: Request a Riverside Room
2  Thank happynowyoga
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

We are glad to know you took advantage of the TravelZoo promotion to book your stay with us, and especially glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay! Your feedback is valuable to us and we will definitely check with the Wyndham reservations to make sure they note that our pool renovation is complete and now open. Pittsburgh is a wonderful city and the heritage trail is is great. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,554)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

My brother and I stayed here for 2 snowy nights last weekend. I'll start with the negative...the walls are thin and we could hear the couple next door arguing well into the early hours the first night. Everything else was just fine. Our bathroom light burned out the first night and it was replaced the next morning without having to ask. The location is great and close to Market Square and Point State Park as well as both stadiums. The views of the Three Rivers and Duquesne Incline were great as well. The rooms are a tad dated but still perfectly fine and I thought the bed was comfortable. I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2014
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

We appreciate that you chose to stay with us for your recent visit, and glad to know you enjoyed your accommodation. We will share your feedback with all of our team, and look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I will only mention what I did not like. First, there is no parking. Plan to walk a couple blocks to a garage. Second, the bedding was starch/stiff and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank earnst
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for staying with us while in Pittsburgh on business. We are sorry to hear that you found your bedding to be uncomfortable. With regard to the parking, we do offer valet service and also self-parking is also an option. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again, if your plans include a return trip.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

1  Thank Patricia C
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Reviewed January 24, 2014