“A bad start, but improved”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #52 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The purpose of my trip was to make a visit to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, and since I wasn't familiar with the city, I rolled the dice and was able to snag a tremendous rate through Hotwire. I was thrilled to be get a great hotel in such a central location. My flight arrived late on Saturday night, and it was after midnight by the time I arrived at the hotel. As I drove into the drive in front of the hotel, I found no valet. I went inside and found no one at the front desk. Eventually, I roused a desk clerk from the office behind the desk who gave me an annoyed look and glanced at her watch. I asked about self-parking (which had been indicated on their website), and she told me they did not have self parking but that if the valet was full I should try some of the parking garages around the hotel. I checked in and went back to give the car keys to the valet, who had apparently been away parking a car. I handed him my keys and he asked if I wanted my car valet parked. "Yes." He gave me an annoyed look, and shoved a claim ticket in my direction.
When I arrived at my room, I found it to be clean and in good condition; however, the deadbolt wouldn't lock. I was too tired to worry about it, and just wanted to get some sleep. When I tried to close the drapes, dust that had accumulated on top of them snowed down on me. Not a great way to start my visit.
For the most part, the next day brought a much improved experience at the Wyndham Grand. The front desk staff was in fine spirits, and the two staff people worked in tandem to alert maintenance to my problem with the deadbolt as well as provide me with a map of self-parking options in the area (why couldn't the night clerk have offered this information?). Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was nothing outstanding, but was a good meal at a reasonable price (certainly unusual for a hotel restaurant), and the service was exceptional. The valet that morning was professional and retrieved the car in a reasonable amount of time, but throughout my stay, I encountered an inconsistent sense of customer service from the valet staff. As for other staff, throughout my stay they were generally very pleasant and helpful.
By the end of my trip, my perception of the Wyndham Grand had improved. There were definitely problems when I arrived, but they were resolved. The location is perfect, within walking distance of several restaurants as well as the subway (which is FREE within a specified central area of the city).
If I could get another reasonable rate for this hotel, I would probably try it again, now that I know what to expect (and where to park!).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh for your stay. We regret the inconveniences you experienced and can assure you we will address your concerns with our management staff and focus on improving. We hope you will consider us again for a future stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,500)

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

A Wyndham traveler
Redland

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Do not plan on using valet parking when the art festival is scheduled. Parking is at a premium. The hotel garage does not a accept a vehicle larger than a passenger car. If you have a minivan or larger plan on parking a few blocks away from the hotel. The valet attendants were very helpful in giving directions to alternate lots. Alarm clock did not work, bathroom lights kept tripping the GFCI in the bathroom. TV programming was horrible for young kids (2-7 yrs). Do not understand why there was a HD TV and no HD channels.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Dear Matthew, Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We regret any inconvenience you experienced with the parking, and are glad to know our staff was helpful in providing you with alternatives. With regard to your guestroom, we are in the process of upgrading the television channels with HD. We hope you will have an occasion to stay with us again and enjoy this feature.