“Missed extras”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Sky room missed. A place to gather, meet, socialize with others you would not invite to my room. I was not alone, many other guests suggested staying somewhere else next time. I won't like yours.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Debra, We appreciate that you chose to stay with us. Our Sky Lounge is currently being modified and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you did book your stay with the Sky Lounge rate included and did not receive the adjustment, please feel free to contact our Executive Offices directly and reference case number WYTA1207, and we will be happy to assist you.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,578)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We got to the hotel and were checked in quickly, given rooms near other families we knew which was nice. Staff is very friendly. The room was smaller than we expected. Windows were very dirty. I did find it strange that the very fashionable bathroom door (wood with three frosted panels in it) was totally see through. I ended up using the shower curtain draped across a hook on the wall to block the door for privacy. The last day we were there we woke up to half an inch of water in the bathroom. It was dripping from the ceiling onto the toilet and floor from the room above us. Either someones shower water or toilet water...gross. We called for maintenance and extra towels that never came. I did go to the front desk with complaints and they were very nice and offered me half off a nights stay for my inconvenience. I felt this was good since we were checking out in a few hours anyhow. I did like that the hotel was close to shopping and dining all within walking distance (even in the snow!) The staff wasn't prepared for the amount of people and there were LONG waits for bell hop service to leave. The elevators were slow and full most of the time so we took the stairs many times so we weren't late to classes. I do feel they were doing the best they could with what they had but were just not prepared for this.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for staying with us this past weekend. We value your feedback and appreciate that you took the time to share. With regard to your guest room bathroom, if you could provide us with more information (your room number), we will definitely check the room above and make the necessary correction. Please feel free to contact our Executive Offices directly, and reference case TAJB0205. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this caused, and hope you will accept our apology.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KEVIN C

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We arrived for a dance convention and the hotel was not prepared at all! Valet was full when we arrived and it had been snowing, had to park across the street in a garage and walk our luggage back and forth across snow covered streets. The elevators were a nightmare and always slow and crowded. We actually walked 16 flights one time because we had been waiting so long for an elevator that never came. The restaurant and bar were not prepared, ran out of food and seating. There was a small bar in the lobby that with a tv, they should have had that open for drinks and food to handle the overflow. The staff was nice but were not trained to deal with the weekend and I hope management learns from this horrible weekend.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh and for taking the time to share your concerns. We are very sorry for the shortcomings in our service that affected your stay, and can assure you this is not the level of service we wish to provide our guests. We hope you will accept our apology in this regard. We would welcome the opportunity to have you as a customer again, should your travel plans bring you back to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My friend and I are staying here now as we are visiting a friend here. As my first time to Pittsburgh , its a nice city, too small for me but nice.

Now the hotel: PROS

The location is great. Right at the point where the 3 rivers meet, down the street from a Starbucks, and being that we got lost a lot, finding the hotel was easy once we hit the bridge, close to both dusquense inclines. Housekeeping lady Samija was so sweet and awesome!! Control of your own heat and air is sweet!!!! Our view was nice as well. Luckily we had no issues with the staff. They were very friendly.

CONS:
overcrowded due to some reality show dance thing.
5 elevators, 24 floors and a long wait.
Breakfast is EXPENSIVE, EX; $80 for two ppl WTF!!
No pool...this was not a huge issue but for a big thotel you'd think they would. However they were under construction of an area which included either putting in a pool or renovating it.
700 ROOMS AND NO FRIDGE OR MICROWAVE! I have never in my adult travel loving life stayed in a hotel without a fridge or microwave or one or the other!! This Pissed us off more than anything. Couldn't bring food back to the room, no where to store it nor heat it up is unbelievable in a $210 a night room!!
Bathroom door not only awkwardly slides, its made of smoked glass and wood...WTF!! Who designed that and thought , "yea, near see-through bathroom doors, that sounds private"
The room was beyond tiny...the decor is nice but holy hell my sons room is literally bigger than this.
Valet full so we had to park across at gateway parking for 22$ first day, 20$, the next day, $10 the following day, then 10$ again that same day as we re entered got dressed and left again. Then 12$ on our last day. $74 SMH!!
As a former hospitality manager, seeing blankets that I know big hotels and hotels period don't wash unless there is significant visible stains, etc being covered by sheets and not proper duvets, both disgusted and angered me.
You are supposed to be able to use the room key to enter in the side door after hours but ours never worked and walking around the corner was just a hassle in the freezing cold.
Bathroom sinks and tubs stop up quickly so that brushing teeth or washing hands left a sink full of water after only seconds on. Although the tub filled up quickly, the shower head is awesome.

For many reasons I will now stay here again. It's a very high maintenance place with a low maintenance inside..SMH

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank momerrell

We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback, and thank you for staying with us. We will be sure to pass along your compliments to our housekeeping staff. With regard to your guest room concerns, we regret the inconvenience you experienced with the design. We do have several different room types and sizes. All of our suites do have refrigerators available, and we do have an additional supply of microwaves and refrigerators available on request, on a first come basis. We will definitely look into the side doors and make sure the key system is working properly. I can assure you we will address all of your specific concerns with our team and take the necessary action to make improvements.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

First we reserved a room on the grand level because of the advertised breakfast, evening hordorves in the sky lounge and private elevator to the floor.

The Manager told us the sky lounge has been closed since August 2012, we made our reservations in October 2011. The hotel was completely booked for a dance competition so the private elevator was programmed to stop on every floor for everyone's convenience.

I actually felt sorry for the staff working in the restaurant because they were so poorly trained. Our waiter never took our drink order and I had to ask for a wine list twice, but finally went to the bar and ordered my own bottle of wine and poured it for the table. Our food was cold and the order came out wrong.

I travel for business and pleasure frequently but have never experienced service this bad.

Kristie Weiss

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Kristie, Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh. We appreciate that you made your reservation over a year ago, and are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with our Sky Lounge being closed. We certainly could have been more helpful in giving you accurate information before you arrived. I see we did make an adjustment on your rate for this stay. It is our hope that your travels will bring you back to Pittsburgh, and we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I hosted a surprise party for my best friend's milestone birthday. About a third of the guests came in from out of state. Expecting foul weather at that time of year, I wanted everyone close by and in a central location. I raved about your accommodations as well as the location. We thought that the fireworks would be at the point area, as usual. Upon arrival, the valet area was very crowded due to construction. The curb areas were piled up with ice and snow. The out-of-towners were put on the city side and us locals were on the point side. The windows were absolutely filthy. The safety latches on the doors were very loose. The bathroom doors were quite fashionable, but offered absolutely NO PRIVACY!!!!! Our guests, room had only a shower, no tub, and only half of a shower door!!!! Water ran directly out to the bathroom floor. Maid service never showed up one day at all, and another day, they left no towels or wash cloths. Our complaints were accepted very politely and apologeticly, but NOTHING WAS DONE to fix any of the problems. I was and still am very embarrassed! I will never splurge for the extra stars of Wyndham again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NORMA K
JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Norma, We are very sorry for the inconveniences that affected your stay. We will definitely share your concerns about the guest room design with our management and make every effort to improve in those areas. We appreciate that you took the time to let us know, and would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again, should your travel plans bring you back to Pittsburgh.