“Nice room, but.....”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location of the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown is convientient, the room was contemorary in styling, it was clean, the temperature was easy to control...all good things. However there was a downside. I asked for a wakeup call and didn't get it, you have to go to an out of the way business center to print a boarding pass and the service in the dining room took absolutely forever. I would give it an average rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Welcome! Thank you for staying with us! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our perfect location! Thank you as well for your great feedback about our rooms. We are making many upgrades and we are happy to see that you enjoyed what we have accomplished thus far. There are many more great things to come as well!

We are very sorry for you not getting your wake up call. We have not had any issues with this service previously, therefore we will have our teams investigate this issue. Thank you for brining it to our attention.

We hope to have you as our guest again in the future. Have a wonderful day!

The Wyndham Grand Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,578)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Grand Wyndham in Pittsburgh in mid-September. My travel company booked it as all hotels closer to Carnegie-Melon U. were full.
The hotel is undergoing remodeling, so there is a lot of construction going on. Redirection through lobbies, doors, some floors closed off, etc.
Despite the remodeling, the hotel building is OLD, with small rooms, small bathrooms, small tubs/showers, etc. And paper-thin walls where you can hear every noise next/above/below your room. No matter how pretty the make it with remodeling, the rooms will STILL be small. I think a better long-term investment would be to enlarge/combine the rooms, or tear it all down and start over again.
The location was nice, close to the downtown restaurants, theaters, etc. Easy highway access.
The staff was very nice, friendly, helpful. Did a great job with what they have.
But no amount of niceness makes up for the OLD style building design.
I would have preferred to stay at a new budget hotel chain with larger rooms/bathrooms, etc.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room AWAY from any construction!

Hello!

Thank you very much for staying with us! It was great being your home away from home while you were on your journey. Thank you for your feedback about our renovations. We are in the process of updating almost every part of our hotel and we are very excited to offer many great services and amenities to our guests.

Thank you for your great feedback about our staff! This is great to see! We will ensure that they are commended for doing a great job!

We do hope that you will choose to return to our hotel in the future to see our great upgrades!

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I am so glad I booked only one night. BIG, HUGE disappointment. The hotel is under construction (inside and outside) and there is no sign of it on any booking sites. You book this hotel without knowing that there will be a huge inconvenience – noise, dust, messy reception area and lobby, no access to the door you need, etc. No apologies from the staff and if you ask they just say “we apologize’. No discounts or refunds – you pay for the luxury hotel and find yourself in the middle of the mess.
Hope people read reviews before they book Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown or any other Wyndham hotel (their headquarters does not care either).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lilia L
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Welcome!

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your business and sharing your feedback.

We would like to sincerely apologize for any issue our construction may have caused. As we are in the process of upgrading every part of our hotel, our renovations do not affect our guest room areas and tower. We are very excited for all of the amazing changes that we are making to the hotel and again we are sorry for the condition in which our lobby was. We are happy to say that our lobby area is completed.

We do hope to have you as our guest again in the future as we are proud to show off all of our upgrades.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

There were several problems, both reported and not. As each of the early problems were reported (mold in ice bucket, bedside phone completely broken) we noticed that staff at first seemed responsive, but then acted like we were being overly picky. The level of responsiveness and attitude was not at ALL what I expect when I stay at Wyndham.

The bell staff I reported the ice bucket problem to took the bucket, but did not follow through and request another. When I called the front desk to inquire about getting another, they said they would have one sent up, but couldn't possibly get someone to fill it with ice for us as well.

When we reported the telephone problem, the repair person was very quick to respond (probably because we went to the front desk), but when in the room as he realized that the phone was actually fully broken, the repair man suggested that we should make do with the desk phone. I found this snarky attitude really awful, and again not what I'd expect from Wyndham. The front desk manager did give us one full buffet ticket for our trouble with the phone, which was nice (even though there were two of us staying).

We didn't report the moldy-look in the corners of the shower, as we realized it probably just needs a re-grout. We didn't report the disappointment that the pool and jacuzzi, listed as available on the website, were completely under construction. I have a severe chronic pain condition and was looking forward to the ability to swim and soak to recover from the 6 hour drive to Pittsburg - sorely disappointed.

I also did not report, initially, a problem with being able to order movies or view my bill on the in-room TV. I finally reported this to (a female) from Guest Services when she called me to ask about any problems during my stay. She transferred me to the front desk, who then transferred me to (a male) in Guest Services who transferred me to someone else. Finally, whoever the 3rd transfer person was, they were able to reset my account so that I could order an in-room movie. When I called back about an hour later, the original female in Guest Services was surprised that I had to go through so much to get my account reset. Truthfully, someone in Guest Services (any and all of them) should've been able to handle the problem themselves, or handle it and call me back to let me know it was complete. Again, not what I expect from Wyndham.

The maid staff was excellent, and the room service waiter awesome both times we had room service. The bell staff when I checked out was excellent, calling the valet for me and coming up to get my bags with perfect timing. The only other thing I noticed that was wrong was that when we first got to our room, there seemed to be a very limited number of towels, and there was no black comforter strip as I had seen when walking past other rooms being cleaned. Were we given an off-sized and off-outfitted room because of the low room rate given (a corporate rate)? It just didn't feel like normal levels of service for Wyndham.

One further note: replying to Wyndham's calls and follow-up request for completing a survey, including all of the above information, yielded NO response from the hotel or from Wyndham corporate. Seriously, what's happened to this brand?

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators - some rooms are a very looooong walk.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank pamelahowell

Hello!

Thank you very much for staying with us! It was our pleasure having you as our guest. Thank you as well for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry for the issues that you found in your guest room. Please know that we find this unacceptable as our standards for our guest rooms are very high. We have shared your feedback with our teams and have address these issues accordingly and made all corrections.

We also would like to apologize for any delay in getting a resolution to your billing. We do respond to all online surveys within 24 hours via email or phone, depending on the listed preference for communication.

We do hope that you will choose our hotel the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh. We are in the process of upgrading all areas of our hotel and adding many new and exciting services.

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. I had a great time because of the people I was with, but overall I was not impressed with the hotel and felt I was paying NYC prices for a much smaller city.

Pros:
-location
-walking distance to Heinz stadium
-lots of quick food options within walking distance
-gorgeous view of the river, bridges and stadium
-staff was very friendly and accommodating

Cons:
-room was VERY small. I stayed in a standard king room with only my husband and felt I was cramped. Felt there was too much furniture in such a small space that you couldn't walk around the bed without bumping into something. Our closet door wouldn't open all the way because it was blocked by the hinge on the front door to our room. The bathroom was tiny...Only room for one person at a time.

Parking fee was too high. $30 a day. We wound up parking in a public garage a few blocks away for $5 on the weekends

The hotel charges a $50 incidental fee per night. Was unaware of this because it didnt reflect that anywhere on the hotel bill at checkout. Found out when I noticed my bank account was charged an extra $100. We left the room in it's original condition, so after inquiring about the extra fee I was told it should get refunded in a few days.

Wasn't that clean. Spotted a few cobwebs in the windows of our room, shower was a little moldy, wallpaper was peeling and felt the hotel was dusty. In fairness, I'm highly allergic to dust so I'm very sensitive which makes it more noticeable to me.

Did I have a good stay...yes.
Would I stay here again...no.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank EVTL55

Welcome! Thank you very much for staying with us!

Thank you for your great feedback. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed our great location and beautiful views. It is great to see that your staff was very friendly and accommodating. We will share this great feedback with our entire team!

We apologize that you were disappointed with the size of your guest room. We do have many sizes and configurations of guest rooms, on your next reservation simply feel free to connect with our in house reservations team and we will be happy to select a room that is perfect for you. We also would like to apologize for the condition issues in which you found your guest room. We will share your feedback with our team to follow up appropriately. We have very high standards for our guest rooms and we apologize that we did not exceed these standards for you.

We do hope that you will choose the Wyndham Grand the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

It breaks my heart to write bad reviews but I have never felt so duped in my life it was so over priced for the service and cleanliness. My room was ok, nice size and updated features, but half done, wall paper tearing down, crown molding is half way installed then stopped, grout in shower has been there from early 80's and the mold on it is collecting ssi checks I am sure. For the price point they demand, there should be helpful staff and enough staff. I asked simply can they book a shuttle for me, which any three star or above would do... No the man at the counter said we don't have those types of services and said for me to call super shuttle, doesn't even offer to write down the number. Next the dining facility is limited and would not seat people after the football game for dinner, it was a thirty minute wait when there were only 5 tables occupied. I guess it wasn't all horrible, it's walking distance to football games but for 1 star quality on 5 star pricing they fall short by a few miles. In order to be valued better they need to drop pricing and raise their game... I don't think I could ever come back here.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Hollie L
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello! Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback! It was great having you as our guest! We are very sorry for the condition issues in which you found your guest room. Please know that we have very high standards for our services and facilities and we find your experience to be unacceptable. We will share your feedback with our management team and address appropriately. We do hope that you will choose the Wyndham Grand the next time you visit Pittsburgh. We are in the process of upgrading every part of our hotel as well as increasing services levels throughout our property.

Thank you again for staying with us and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel three nights for a conference I attended. I had a room on the 10th floor with one king bed. The hotel is undergoing renovations but made much progress, at least in the lobby area, the days I was there. The bed was comfortable and the shower had nice water pressure and temperature. Check-In and out was smooth. My room and the floor I stayed on, however was not very clean. The coffee maker still had a dirty pod in it from someone's previous use. The desk, night stands, etc. were dusty. The carpet was dirty, especially between the bed and the night stands and under the other furniture. The hallways also needed cleaning. Dirty room service trays were in the halls for hours. Some rooms had refrigerators but mine did not. No one cleaned my room during my stay so I am not sure if they were short handed or if I missed something about requesting your room be cleaned. Not a bad place, just average though.

1  Thank Jacque K
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Welcome!

Thank you very much for staying with us! It was our pleasure having you as our guest. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed our stay and thank you for your feedback about our renovations moving forward. Thank you for your great feedback about your arrival process. We are very sorry for the condition in which you found your guest room. Please note that we do not find this to our standards. We will share your feedback with our team to address this appropriately.