“This place is NICE!”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm totally biased about this place, because I stayed in the Presidential Suite.

Ok, I'll back up.

I was in town with a major church convention for ten days. I was one of five people working with the young adults at the church convention, and two of us ended up with the Presidential Suite. This suite is GIANT. The other people working with the young adults were totally jealous. There are two bedrooms with their own private baths. I got the master, with a giant soaking jacuzzi tub, a separate shower, and other giant and beautiful amenities. I had a separate dressing room with a vanity, for crying out loud.

It was a perfect place to work together on our plans for the young adults every night, and then we just gave keys to our colleagues so they could keep their alcohol up in our kitchen. It was totally great for us. It was so big, and had lots of different work/lounging spaces, as well as a guest half-bath. We had friends and colleagues over. We were there over the Fourth of July, which was fantastic, because we were able to stand in the windows inside our suite and be right across from the barge setting off the fireworks. It was amazing.

We were on the club floor, and the club had really nice breakfasts and other nice amenities during the week.

We had meetings in the hotel every night, and the staff were so helpful to us through everything. They were very responsive to requests, and friendly even though they were clearly very busy over the holiday weekend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank haparev
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Welcome!

Thank you very much for staying with us! It was our pleasure being your host for your conference! Thank you for your great feedback about our Presidential Suite! We actually just finished adding even more upgrades to that room as well! We are very excited to see that you had a wonderful time and that our staff took care of everything that you and your group needed. It is great that we welcome your convention every year and we look forward to this convention year after year.

Thank you again for your great review! We will share your feedback with our team!

The Wyndham Grand Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,580)

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great location, really good service from the front desk to the bar to housekeeping! All very friendly. Free Shuttle service was fantastic for getting around downtown but would be even better if they served the airport, but the bus was pretty fast and very inexpensive.
Room temperature was hard to control and always felt overly humid, as did the conference space. Other than that the room was very nice and had a fantastic view of the river, bridges, and stadium. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and the city of Pittsburgh for a conference venue! Go to "Shadyside" neighborhood for amazing shopping. Loved this town!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the river side.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lightinggrl

Welcome! Thank you very much for staying with us! It was our pleasure having you as our guest! We are very happy that our entire team provided with you with great service. We will ensure that all of our teams are commended for a job well done! We are also very pleased to see that you enjoyed our spectacular views and our beautiful city! Thank you for recommending our hotel and our wonderful city!

It was great being your home away from home for your conference! We can’t wait to welcome you back again!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Booked room on well known discount site was very pleased to get an $82 rate per night for 2 nights, good location, maid knocked on the door very early to see if we needed towels which I found odd, good thing we took a few extra as she did not come back to service the room at all even though we were out by 9:00am and never asked her not to, only positive was a great bartender that evening

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Welcome! Thank you very much for staying with us! We were very pleased to see you choose the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh. We are very excited to see you enjoyed our location. Thank you for your feedback about our Housekeeping Team. We will share your feedback with our team.

We hope that you will choose the Wyndham Grand the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The room as well as the hotel were beautiful and the staff professional and pleasant. The room did have a musty smell to it which was strange or I would have given it an excellent rating. We only stayed for a night so it was not that bad.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Welcome!

Thank you very much for staying with us! We are very happy that you felt our room was beautiful and our staff was professional and pleasant! That is great to see! We will ensure to commend our team on a job well done! We apologize for your room having a musty smell. We will ensure to follow up appropriately.

We hope that you will choose our hotel the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh!

Thank you again for staying with us! Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a spot for the most excellent views in Pittsburgh! Get a high floor room with a rivew view. The room was small but well appointed. Ask for Renee, the shuttle driver to take you around downtown. She's very nice and has lots of information.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Hello! Welcome to the Wyndham Grand! Thank you very much for being our guest and sharing your feedback! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our wonderful and beautiful views! Thank you as well for your comments about Renee our Shuttle Driver. We will ensure that she is commended for doing a great job and for providing you with exceptional service.

We can’t wait to be your home away from home again in the future!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was in Pittsburgh to drop my daughter of at Pitt. I found the Wyndham on one of the 3rd party discount sites. After I booked my non-refundable room for a three night stay I started reading reviews and they consistently said there were problems with housekeeping and that the rooms were dirty and in disrepair.... Quite frankly, I am somewhat of a germaphobe so many of the reviews about the hotel being dirty freaked me out! I called the hotel and was rerouted about 5-6 times until I finally came upon a young man named Mathew at the front desk. I mentioned to him about the reviews I had read regarding the issues of housekeeping. He recognized that they were experiencing problems with the housekeeping staff at this time. Matthew assured me that he be sure that I was in a renovated room and that he would take care of me.to insure I had a pleasant stay.

Being my cynical and skeptical self I was worried that the guy I spoke to on the phone would have "forgotten" to put any comments in to the computer about our conversation and I would be stuck in filth for 3 nights.

Coincidentally, Mathew was the front desk attendant when I checked in. He remembered me by name and also our conversation. Mathew had done exactly as he said he would do and more. The room he put me in was a wonderful clean room and was a very decent size.

That would have been enough, however I received a phone call about 15 minutes after I arrived in my room from Mathew who was just checking to be sure my room was comfortable, which it was! Another 15 minutes lapsed and I had a knock on the door it was room service....I had not called them why were they here? Mathew sent me a fruit plate as a welcome.WOW!

Every single person I came into contact with was exceedingly kind and helpful.

The reason I am not giving the hotel 5 stars is twofold; although the room was clean, I found that housekeeping was sloppy and remiss about details and because there is nothing to do anywhere near the hotel and I mean nothing!

I do also want to make a comment about using priceline, their customer service is awful, they were unwilling to ensure me a non-smoking room and were argumentative. I have been completely turned off by them and will not use the site except for the name your price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jmdm2

Welcome! Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor! It was great having you as our guest! Thank you very much for your great feedback about Matthew from our Front Desk. This is wonderful! We will ensure that he is commended for going above and beyond and for providing you with exceptional service and personalizing your stay with us! We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service and we are pleased that our staff went above and beyond for you!

Thank you again for staying with us! We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was very impressed with this hotel because of:
- Great location - in downtown, right by rivers with nice view of the city
- Beautiful design of the hotel - inside and out
- Friendly staff - very helpful with requests/questions
What went wrong?
- Someone tried to get into our room around 2am. It seems that the keys were duplicated.
- Parking for additional fee even though we were told there would be none

But if I'm ever in Pittsburgh, I would definitely stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Welcome! Thank you very much for staying with us! It was great having you as our guest! Wow thank you for the great review and for the great pictures! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our great location and design of our hotel. It is also great to see that our staff provided you with great service!

We are very sorry to hear about the disturbance you encountered. We will have our Security Team investigate this.

Thank you again for your great feedback! We hope to be able to welcome you as our guest again in the near future! Have a wonderful day!