“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #51 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Tampa, Florida
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

What an amazing hotel! The staff treated us like royalty...if you truly want to embrace the city of pittsburgh this is the place to stay!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 20, 2011

we booked our room on Hotels.com and got a great deal. We arrived and check in went as smooth as any check in could. We asked if we could be on the highest floor available and that wasn't a problem. We got the 18th floor.
Valet parking was $26.00 for the day and you could come and go as many times as you wished for the day.
We arrived at our room and found it clean and cozy, the beds were great as were the pillows. The faucet in the tub was a little finicky but no biggie.
The TV channels were listed in the book on the desk, oh HBO is ch 9. The book also said that their bar in the lobby was open until 2, but they had last call at 11.
Check out was just as easy.
Next time we stay in Pitts. this one is on our list.

Room Tip: just ask at check in....
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tson4219
miaapgm, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
It's always a pleasure to read great comments from our guests and share with our team here at the hotel. We appreciate your feedback and I will share with our Front Desk team your compliment. We look forward to your return visit to our downtown Pittsburgh hotel! Thank you!

Best,
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I love coming home to Pittsburgh to see my family and friends and when I'm there...there's no place like the Wyndham Grand! The hotel is spectacular, with the best location in town ... right at beautiful Point State Park close to everything ... shopping, restaurants, the stadiums! Spectacular views and perfect no matter the occasion. I travel a lot and the service and friendliness of the staff at the Wyndham Grand is the best I have ever experienced. I love the comfy rooms and beds and the amenities are beyond reproach. I love telling my friends in the burgh to come join me for a cocktail at the WG. It's a Pittsburgh landmark that encompasses the best of my hometown. Can't wait til my next visit this summer and I hope to have my wedding at the WG!

1 Thank ToniJFLA
Thank you very much for your kind and generous comments about your "home away from home" in Pittsburgh! We looking forward to welcoming you back again and again. When your wedding plans begin in earnest, we hope you will consider our Kings Garden Ballroom offering floor to ceiling windows and stunning views of Point State Park and the Three Rivers. See you soon.

Robert L. Lepore
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Got this Wyndham dirt cheap for two nights through Priceline. I’d say that the price reflects the quality of the hotel. Upon arrival, the hotel was absolutely packed with over 4,000 teenagers dressed up for a Japanese Anime Convention (found that in an article online). Check-in went smoothly with a very kind woman behind the front desk. Then we attempted to use the elevator to get to our 16th floor room. After at least a 10 minute wait for the elevator (due to copious quantities of immature dragons, fairies, etc.) we decided to walk up the stairs with our bags. We arrived at our room sweating (it was 35 degrees outside). The room was quite nice and had a wonderful view over the 3 rivers and Point State Park. The beds were comfortable and the room had a large flat screen TV. The bathroom was tiny but fully functional. The windows looked like they hadn’t been washed in years and there were various small things such as loose doorknobs, no safe, no fridge, iffy internet, etc. that could easily be taken care of with a little bit of effort. The lobbies and hallways were packed with these Anime people all weekend which made everything inconvenient but luckily we didn’t spend much time in the hotel during the day. Another disappointing thing is that while the hotel is in downtown Pittsburgh, there isn’t a whole lot to actually do there, unless you go across the river to the Heinz Field/PNC Park area or over to Station Square. I will say that while the hotel restaurant is not cheap, we had breakfast there both mornings and were very impressed with the service and the delicious food. Overall, I would say for the price I paid ($65 a night through Priceline), I was pleased with this hotel but I would definitely not pay much more than that for this place.

Room Tip: Use Priceline/Hotwire
2 Thank yanks744
miaapgm, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind words about our guest rooms, service and restaurant. I'm chagrined to see that you evaluated your experience of the hotel and our team based upon the "Anime" convention that was at the hotel during your weekend trip. Indeed the hotel was very busy with many young people enjoying their hobby and past time.

Please note that the hotel is located in the prime location in downtown Pittsburgh--within 2 blocks you will find the Cultural District of Pittsburgh hosting almost a dozen different arts and entertainment options. Only one block away is Market Square with upscale shopping and restaurants. And, as you mentioned, we are the closest downtown hotel to the area sports stadiums, Rivers Casino and the Carnegie Science center. We're in the center of it all! And our complimentary scheduled area shuttle can provide both morning or evening transportation anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel.

I hope we see you in the future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed there this past weekend, the hotel was one of the worst I have ever stayed at. We stay at hotels almost every month and went there on business. First impression of the hotel was pretty bad. They charged my credit card repetitively a week before I was set to arrive. I checked the confirmation I got and website and it says nothing about this and the staff offered no apology. I should have canceled and switched hotels but I didn't.
Upon arrival we parked at the curb and got out to check-in and and load our luggage, instantly on the curb a valet came over and asked if we want valet service. We said we are not sure first we will check in and then decide. He instantly went from friendly to irate with us and started to scream at us telling us we cannot park here its a fire lane no cars can park there. I looked and saw 2 other cars parked in the same area, looked at the street and there was no marking for fire line or anything, in fact there was cars parked along the street in every spot (and I checked there was cars there ALL WEEKEND LONG) so I told him forget you I'm going to check in now, I have been to enough hotels to know my rights when I check in.
After check in I was refused any bell hop help but given a luggage cart and told to use it myself. Not 1 person helped me to get to my room and when I got to the room I found the "king bed" was really a double. The bathroom was tiny tiny tiny and staff was no where to be found. The coffee was a joke and didn't work and the restaurant was over priced and hidden in the hotel.
During the weekend we had to call down to the front desk a few times for things like soap, pillows etc and was told "they will be right up" but no one ever came. After some time the front desk stopped answering calls and all calls went to voice mail.
In the meeting rooms half of the rooms were freezing cold and the other half was extremely hot. We called the hotel over 40 times and waited 2 whole days and NOTHING was done about it. I can't understand why the hotel tells us "we will fix it right away" and still cannot do ANYTHING about it. How hard is it to turn off the air conditioner??
To make it all worse on the way out of the hotel we were harassed AGAIN by the valet. This time he forced us to double park instead of park at the empty spots on the curb then stole our car key and screamed at us to move along because we parked in the fire lane. Are these valet trained to treat customers this way and use fire lane as an excuse? It is completely ridiculous!
This hotel doesn't deserve any star rating I would avoid it at all costs if for nothing else the staff was the most 2 faced un caring staff I have ever seen at any hotel and I would go to lengths to avoid ever returning to the Wyndham grand Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank AliceCu3
miaapgm, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

We recently reached out to you by email regarding your concerns over your recent stay at the Tek convention this past weekend and are very interested in speaking to you personally regarding your comments. Please accept my apologies. I understand you spoke with a manager during your stay who attempted to rectify your issues in response to your request for a full refund of your stay.

The Tek convention hosted over 1500 (mostly) young people who tremendously enjoyed the convention. As with any major hotel-wide convention, we strive to satisfy every guest's needs as rapidly as possible. Both our valet team as well as bell staff have reviewed your comments as well as a review of your check-in time, etc. While hundreds of people were checking in simultaneously at our front entrance, our team should certainly have been more patient in explaining the protocols for dropping off luggage. To allow me the opportunity to address this matter personally, I hope you will follow-up on the recent email sent to you so that I can address with an individual team member.

Meeting room temperatures in all 27 of our function rooms are regulated by computers at all times with an energy management system. All temperatures throughout the weekend were confirmed at 70 degrees.

I'm unsure which extension you would have dialed to reach our Guest Services team. No Guest Services extensions have a voice mail option programmed.

Regardless of the extremely high levels of activity at the hotel and the complexity of the convention, the individual interactions of our team members with our guests are critically important whether it be for 1 guest or 1,000. In your case, please accept my sincere apologies that our staff was unable to meet your expectations.

Washington, DC
Reviewed March 31, 2011

This hotel was originally the Hilton Pittsburgh when we booked 7 months in advance/just before the announcement that the Washington Capitals would be playing Pittsburgh Penguins in the Winter Classic. By the time the Winter Classic happened, the Hilton was bought out by the Wyndham Grand. There was a little confusion regarding the reservations due to the hotel ownership transferring, however we were able to obtain a new reservation number with the Wyndham Grand. Valet was great. Check-in/check-out was easy.

We had upgraded to a corner room and we had a great view of Heinz Field. The room was spacious enough that our other friends would come to our room to hang out. The only downfall was that it was also a handicapped room, so the bathroom had a slider door and it was an open shower that would leak water to the rest of the bathroom, so there was a mildewy smell. The room was clean, pillow and beds were comfortable. With it being New Years and Winter Classic weekend, there wasn't much outside noise that could be heard from the room. Heinz Field was an easy 10-15 minute walk across the bridge.

I would recommend this hotel for a weekend stay for any event at Heinz Field whether it's Winter Classic or Steelers game.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank queeni1129
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed a weekend in March with reservations that were booked through Priceline.com. Overall, the hotel was nice and the weather was beautiful. It was the perfect location for our stay in Pittsburgh, as we planned to see several shows downtown. The views of Point State Park from our room were great.

The only negative comment I have is with regards to the customer service. I called two days in advance with our confirmation number to confirm our reservation. I was immediately told that since we made reservations through Priceline, we could not be helped. (We have certaily used Priceline for stays at other hotels, i.e., the Marriott and Hilton, and our every request was accommodated to the best of their abilities. Including upgrading a room and early check-in). Furthermore, whomever I was speaking with hung up in mid conversation. Literally hung up the phone as I was asking a question. Customer service was similarly abrupt upon check-in, and as others have mentioned, I certainly felt as though our business was valued less due to making our reservations through Priceline.

In sum, I would stay here again if I could not find a similarly priced hotel in downtown Pittsburgh.

1 Thank th1182
miaapgm, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
With views of the city skyline, Point State Park and the Three Rivers, I agree that the Wyndham Grand is the perfect location for a stay in Pittsburgh!

Since your comment did not speak to exactly what you requested during your reservation call, I'm unable to be sure of what special requests you may have needed that we were unable to accommodate; however, we do make every effort to accommodate all of our guest requests regardless of the source of their reservaion. As with all major hotel chains, reservations booked through "bidding" sites such as Priceline are booked in a Traditional or Standard guestroom and we're happy to allow guests to register at any time a guestroom is available. I apologize that our staff were unable to provide the level of assistance to meet your expectations!

To guarantee your type and location of guestroom as well the ability to cancel your reservation, may I suggest booking an advance purchase rate on the Wyndham brand website in the future? There are even pictures of the exact type of guestroom that you can book.