“I Complained About The Room - They Retaliated by Trying to Make Me Miss My Flight!”

Econolodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #64 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I ended up here on February 14th, 2014, courtesy of American Airlines who had a broken airplane.

I heard the AA rep on the phone booking 15 rooms with this hotel directly, not through their reservation center. However, when I called Microtel for a shuttle, "Manny?" behaved as if he had never heard of this. When I arrived, he tried to charge my AMEX card despite the fact that I had just presented him with the American accommodation voucher. He suddenly understood when I said I would call the airline. There had better not be a charge on my AMEX!

I made sure he wrote down that I needed a shuttle at 05:45 the next morning and wake-up call at 05:00.

The Lobby and breakfast area were dirty and poorly maintained but things got worse when I got to the room. Not clean and the bathtub was chipped and scratched - see picture. It was freezing cold and the blanket was paper thin.

I went downstairs to talk to "Manny?" about the room, but he played "no speaka da eengleesh. I decided to suck it up and try to get some sleep.

The following morning, at 05:40, I waited on the third floor for nearly 5 minutes for the elevator. Did someone maybe have a baggage cart jammed in the elevator door at the lobby level? There was baggage cart by the elevator door in the lobby and the clerk was very evasive.

I arrived in the lobby at 05:47 to be told that (a) the shuttle had left at 05:42 and (b) that it was my fault for not being down there at 05:35. The desk clerk displayed a curious evasiveness, defensiveness, and uneasiness when I mentioned the elevator issue. Maybe he had something to do with it?

He said that the next shuttle would not be there until 06:15, which would have caused me to miss my flight. I asked if there was anything he could do to help me and he repeated that it was my fault for missing the shuttle. He threatened to call and cancel the 06:15 shuttle, presumably in further retaliation for my complaints about the room. He gave me the number of a cab company, but they didn't answer the phone, so I googled yellow cab, got a taxi to the airport and caught my flight.

I am thunderstruck by the rudeness, incompetence, and dishonesty of the staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: Look for one in a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Kevin M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Morgantown
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The hotel is very nice convenient.... it is well used bythe park and fly... as well as other guest... it needs to be updated and renewed... it is showing where. staff employees all were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have stayed here twice in a matter of days. Staff is excellent, room is nice, price is reasonable. I opted to drive 12 miles to stay there after having a bad experience at another hotel closer to the hospital my son is in . Worth the extra drive to stay there. One particular staff went above and beyond helping us with directions, etc. Thanks Nick for the wonderful job you do. Entire staff excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Travelers also viewed these Pittsburgh hotels
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
#55 of 70 in Pittsburgh
Coraopolis
Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport

Been to Econolodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Econolodge Inn & Suites

Property: Econolodge Inn & Suites
Address: 900 Chauvet Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15275-1046
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #64 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Hotel Class:2 star — Econolodge Inn & Suites 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Econolodge Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Microtel Inn And Suites Pittsburgh Airport