“Compact but okay for the purpose”

Econolodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #62 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Compact but okay for the purpose”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I found my standard-sized room on the first floor to be compact and just fine for the purpose of spending a night close to my client's office before an early morning meeting. In comparison to the compact room layout, the bathroom was quite spacious (it was a traditional hotel bathroom). The room was clean, everything worked and I slept well. Continental breakfast was acceptable. Again, very basic and nothing more. Overall, this was a super value and served my purpose well. If you are expecting something fancy, this is not it. This is simply an inexpensive roof over your head and nothing more.

Room Tip: I'd request a first floor room near the desk. There were marks that looked like forced entry on...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vistar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Shippenville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Good value. Our room with tax was $90 and change. It was the perfect choice for taking our son to the airport for his flight.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The hotel situated between Pittsburg airport and downtown. It is in the shopping area with a couple malls, Costco, restaurants nearby so you won't go starving or bored. Typical of a Microtel, the room is small, cosy, and bright. Lots of lights make the room much more livable. The place was staffed by what appear to be an Indian family. They were nice and kept the place clean and well maintained. There's also laundry room on site. The only problem I have is a wasp nest on the outside of my window. Give the wet climate that they have it is not totally unexpected to see something like that.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The room was clean but I had a problem with the staff from the beginning. We flew out to Pittsburgh to see a Pirates game. When we went back downstairs from our room to ask questions about restaurants, the person behind the desk had the audacity to accuse me of having extra people in my room (There was only two of us). I spend my hard earned money at this hotel and I get accused of having five or six people in my room! How insulting!! I called for a wake up call the following morning and we end up waking up late because there was no wake up call and I barely made my flight back home. I left my cell phone in the room since we woke up late and were rushing to check out to catch our flight. It took them nearly a month to mail my cell phone back to me. Unacceptable!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This hotel was very clean and quiet. I couldn't have asked for a better room! It was only about 15 minutes from the downtown area of Pittsburgh so it was in a perfect location.
Also, located next to Robinson Town Centre Mall. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Problems immediately started upon check in. The rep said my reservation could not be honored because the booking agency's (Kayak) credit card was turned down. When I asked him what we can do he and his manager both said that it wasn't THEIR problem. (Meanwhile I was checking in around 10PM and had no other options.) I then was told that I had to pay for an entirely new reservation at a higher price. They wouldn't honor the previous price even if I paid the reservation again. Then the agent ended up charging twice. The next day I noticed the double charge on my credit card and brought it to the front desk's attention. The morning agent refused to admit the double charge and told me to contact my bank as it must be their fault. She began to yell "That there is no way they are responsible!" After contacting my bank and confirming my suspicions, the front desk apologized and promised to send a fax clearing up the mess. A week later and I noticed that the charge is still on my account. It was never resolved. Now to move on beyond the front desk. The rooms look nothing like what they have on their websites. The rooms are antiquanted and in need of updating. Then while sleeping I was awakened by a call at 3 in the morning warning about carbon monoxide. I was told to get out of the room and warn everyone on my floor. Apparently it was a crank caller who was targeting guests in this particular motel. I had to disconnect my room phone. This was truly one of the worst stays I've ever experienced and I ended up paying far more that what I should have. In the end I could have stayed in a 3.5 star hotel for the same price. Bed were terrible, linens were poor, TV was poor and service was the worst I've ever experienced. NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Just stay away...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveltheworldasone
microtelpit, Manager at Econolodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
This customer booked on one day before online and
She wasn't called at hotel and next day when
She came she said I have reservation on yesterday
And I want to stay tonight I said your reservation through
Online so I suggest you to call online.our hotel policy is if you want to cancel
You have to call 24hrs prior 6pm.But in your case you book through online and
You have to called online.But customer want listened and she argued with us.
I said that we can do one thing today you want to stay that we can give to you good discount.
She said ok.I gave her room on 40% OFF.
I am unhappy for this customer that we are tried to help to our guest as much as we can.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was reading other candidates review and surprised that for me all went smoothly in terms of cleaning, arrangement etc. I would like to say that overall it was really a good budget hotel. I stayed there for two days and got clean room, helpful staff and nice view from the room.

I don't think you can get a good hotel in 50-60 bucks near 10 mins drive from international airport which includes internet, breakfast etc. Moreover, there was a quite big shopping area (Target, Walmart etc) if you want to spend time and do the shopping.

I was quite satisfy with my choice and service offered by evening staff there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side are near to shopping center and quite sunny.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo