“Decent & Affordable”

Comfort Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Allegheny Valley
Ranked #58 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This was a quick trip that I was trying to keep inexpensive and this hotel served it's purpose. The rooms were recently renovated, clean and quite comfortable. The bathroom was nice, very clean. My room came equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. It was not centrally located to anything, it felt more like being in an industrial park. Luckily the hotel offered free breakfast (waffles, eggs, biscuits & gravy, oatmeal--decent selection) and there was a bar/lounge for the evenings, again the food was decent. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The cons: the heater turned on/off all night, and the noise could be startling. My room was overlooking the parking lot and when the heat was off I could hear the sound of cars being locked and people in the hallways.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in August 2011. We got a fair rate on a priceline bid.

The hotel is still under construction; however, many rooms, the lobby, breakfast area & lounge seemed to be complete

Pros:
-the location is pretty much right off 28, which gave us easy access into the city & out to the rural areas.
-the indoor pool is clean & gave our kids something to do during down periods. They really enjoyed it & it is the star of this motel.
-the on-site lounge was nice for an evening snack & a place to get out of the room. We watched the Steelers on the big screen. The bartender was really friendly & even let us know when the wedding next door was ending so we could get out before guests started flooding in
-the bathroom was fair-sized, clean & nicely decorated. we noticed no fan & lack of places to hang things, like towels or bathing suits
-the breakfast was pretty standard: hot & cold w/nice coffee. A separate, full-time coffee bar was off to the side. This is nicer than wading through breakfast bar patrons to get a cup of coffee.
-the staff was proficient, friendly, and respectful

Cons
-our first floor room on Day 1 was on the inside of the courtyard, facing the pool. It had a nice enough view & was very quiet, but extremely damp. The carpet was was wet underfoot.
-No fridge & yet ice machine was a pretty long walk.
-This place is a maze. To get from the 2nd floor to the lobby, you have to go down to the first floor then walk up stairs
-the second morning at about 7 AM, another guest used a key to try to enter our room. Fortunately we had the chain lock on & he could not enter. The desk indicated that a computer problem had assigned rooms/keys to >1 party.

We asked to move to a different room on the 2nd floor

The front desk clerk asked us how much we paid for our room before assigning our new room. Looking back on it, I think this was significant.

Unfortunately, the room was only slightly less damp & lacked some amenities. There was only one surface besides the TV stand - no place to put the bags.

The 2nd room was next to the highway - really just a few yards - which made it louder, but the air conditioner helped to drown out the noise. The air conditioner unit was newer. The 2nd room was not as nice & more difficult to get to the car.

Having enumerated the cons, I think we will still consider this hotel the next time we visit north Pittsburgh. It was a very reasonable price & we valued the on-site amenities. I understand one-time computer glitches & learned a valuable lesson about always using the door chain. Hopefully they will resolve the dampness issues soon.

Room Tip: Away from the highway; middle of the corridor
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Picked this hotel because it was close to the zoo. The rooms were clean and in nice shape they are remodeling the hotel. The pool was Beautiful for us to relax in! The breakfast was wonderful for all of us. You could make your own waffles and each day they a nice cold and hot selection. We ended up staying for 3 nights because it was very peaceful here. It is a little way from downtown but was worth the stay! ALL the people working there were so friendly too !!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel was situated perfectly, as I was attending a wedding at Fox Chapel CC. I booked online and had no trouble checking in. Visually, it's not much to look at from the outside, but the lobby has had a major facelift. I had a King room, which was unfortunately located at the nearest END of the hallway. This is an old hotel, that has hallways separated by old, heavy, metal doors. So every time someone entered the hallway (from about 6am onwards) I heard it. A rough start to the day after a wedding. The room was decorated beautifully, for it IS only a Comfort Inn. It's on-par with rooms that should fetch a few more dollars. Huge refrigerator, capable of holding plenty of food and drink, if needed. Also, a microwave! Amazing!

There's a shop next to the front desk which sells snacks and drinks, which said CLOSED at 11pm, BUT I was pleasantly surprised to find the front desk staff allow me to buy snacks at around 1am. Haven't had bagel bites since college, but they sure tasted good on that night.

They do have a shuttle that can take you around the area until 8pm, if arranged ahead of time. This got me to the wedding in time, and they called a cab for my collection later on that evening. All in all, worthwhile for the money.

Ohh yeah, and they do have a nice indoor pool! Went for an AM swim before checking out! Water temp was perfect, and I had it all to myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the connecting doors! They're heavy and loud. Also, maybe ask for a r...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank wandererer151
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I traveled to Pittsburgh for a funeral. Even though there were some critical reviews for this hotel I decided to try it for convenience sake. I was pleasantly suprised. There has been a great deal of renovation. My room was very nice except for the kids in the pool until 11 P.M. Breakfast was better than many simular places. Also it was convenient to East Pittsburgh.
Also, kudos to the staff. After a four hour trip on the turnpike I was grumpy. They put up with that in a professional manner.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed here twice in August and had stayed previously when it was a Holiday Inn. TThe renovated rooms were better but there is still an issue with the rooms being damp. I mean very damp as in I printed out a boarding pass in the morning, put it on the desk and by the afternoon, it was as if someone spilled water on it. I can't quite figure it out (I stayed on both the first and second floor). Renovations were being done while we were there but that did not bother us. Staff was VERY nice and helpful. Breakfast was OK--not great. There is very little around this hotel. You either need to go one exit to Fox Chapel or one exit to Harmarville to find several restaurants and stores. Pool is quite big, fairly clean.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We saw some renovations still happening, but nothing disruptive. All the service people and maintenence people were very friendly. The kids loved the pool with the glass enclosure. The room was very nice with new furnishings - beds and pillows very comfortable.
My only complaint was that the drapes didn't close all the way so the lights from outside streamed into the room all night and also with no exhaust fan, all of our wet towels and bathing suits caused a bit of dampness in the air in the room.
There is a restaurant right up the road that has lots of choices. Right off the road. I recommend.