“Fine Experience”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Fine Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

The motel is a little out of the way but makes up for it with no fee parking. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The breakfast was large and changed the egg menu for three days plus all the other choices. The use of the van within a 5 mile radius is a tremendous help as Pittsburgh is not a driver friendly environment.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I was sent to Pittsburg for work for a week. When I arrived the front desk associate was very pleasant, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast and happy hour were just added bonuses. If I have to return to Pittsburg that is where I would stay!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Hampton Inn when we were getting our hardwood floors refinished. Also with us were our two cats. This hotel is pet friendly. The location is great, rooms are comfortable and our pets were indeed welcome. The staff was great and accommodating in giving us two adjoining rooms which worked out well for our little family. There are many, varied restaurants in close proximity that are all very good. They also provide a shuttle to some nearby attractions.

Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

If one looks at a map, it would appear that the motels along Interstate 376, the expressway that goes southeast of Pittsburgh, is almost in the main part of that city. Indeed, the distance between this lodging and that city's downtown is about 2.5 miles "as a crow flies" and less than four miles as you drive by car. In many cities, being that close would seem like almost being in the downtown itself. However, Pittsburgh is a city where being even this close can still leave feeling far away, both culturally and chronologically.

Once visitors to Pittsburgh are in the downtown area, they will find that most of the delights of this city are within easy reach. Riding the subway system (the 'T') is free within this area, so even a trip to the North Side can be done without trouble. And there are several buses from the Market Square area to the Carnegie-Mellon area.

The problem is, for those staying along I-376, south of the Monongahela River, you are not as close to downtown as a map might indicate. If you travel on I-376 just south of this river, you immediately run into the Fort Pitt Tunnel, which is both an emotional barrier and an automotive bottleneck between downtown and the I-376 corridor. It MIGHT take five minutes to get from the Hampton in Greentree to downtown Pittsburgh, but it also might take forty minutes or even more. In the morning, bumper to bumper traffic is pretty much guaranteed. For a casual visitor with a loose schedule, this would probably not be a hassle; for someone with a deadline to get downtown, this could easily become a problem.

In addition, the I-376 corridor past this tunnel has a lot of strip malls, office buildings, chain restaurants, and bargain lodging -- but no real reason to do anything but spend the night there. As I've stated before, expressways and parking lots seem to suck the life out of an area. The Parkway Center Mall -- which, since it is now closed, resembles a post-apocalyptic wasteland -- is a prime example of this.

If you can deal with the above problems, then the Hampton Inn Greentree (note that the town itself is two words, even though Hampton names its motel with one word) can be a terrific bargain. Our room 517 had a full bath, phone, AC, radio-alarm, small fridge, microwave, hair dryer, iron & board, desk & swivel chair, couch, lap desk on a comfy bed, coffee maker, and digital TV with 32 channels. Free amenities include parking, wifi, hot breakfast (eggs, ham, waffles), business center (free printing!), 24 hour coffee in lobby, gym, pool in summer, and shuttle to South Side.

Note that the latter must be reserved no less than an hour in advance, is only available from 7am to 7pm and only if others have not taken all the seats, and will take you back to the hotel when the driver is able to do so. In our case, it took almost an hour of waiting outside on a cold, rainy, & windy day before the van arrived -- and then it took another 30 minutes to get back to the Hampton. We don't blame anyone for this, as this was literally the soonest the van could get to us and back to our lodging. Just don't count on the shuttle for a tight connection.

The cost for our stay was about half that of comparable places downtown, and we were fully aware of the problems of staying in this area. If you can accept being physically close but emotionally distant from the many reasons to visit this city, then I can definitely recommend this place.

One last thing to note. If you are driving to here from Pittsburgh along I-376, Exit 67 is where you want to get off. However, do NOT follow the signs to Green Tree, but instead follow the signs to Crafton -- a choice you will need to make almost immediately after exiting the expressway. You then turn left onto Mansfield Avenue, and drive along this fairly narrow, winding road that doesn't seem like a road to any business. You'll see the Hampton on your left well before you see the left turn onto Trumbull, so don't panic at that point. The drive confused me when first going to the Hampton, but don't let it confuse you!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RabePaul
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

The bed was sooo comfortable, the a/c was cool and the pillows were fluffy. Our room was at the end of the hall and was quiet. There was a lot going on in the lobby with teenagers, but our room was peaceful. Got a great nights sleep and ready to travel the next morning. I liked the choices at breakfast but was really hoping for bacon.

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hampton this year. Friendly and helpful front desk, well-stocked vending machines, pleasant complimentary breakfast and eating area, clean rooms AND a shuttle service. If you know about Pittsburgh’s horrendous taxi system, know that the shuttle is a god-send. It took us to the Strip, to the Senator Heinz History Centre, to the Consol Energy Center AND to a facility off of the beaten path in Carnegie (if you ask nicely).

Would definitely stay here again! I even asked for a room rate reduction after I found that the prices had dropped since I first booked, and they accomodated my request for the remaining nights!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Alexandria, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I'm from this area and stayed at the hotel because my mother's place doesn't allow pets. I have driven past this hotel before, and with it being tucked away, I didn't expect it to be cozy and nice inside. The room was comfy, the bed was great, everything was clean and fresh looking. I usually stay in 4 star hotels, so I was surprised at how nice it was inside. They gave me a room on the first floor immediately next to an exit which was great when I needed to take my dog out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo