“Good if you prefer surprises over getting what you order.”
Review of Andy's Sushi Bar

Andy's Sushi Bar
Ranked #441 of 2,225 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Strip District
Neighborhood: Strip District
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I've read a few posts about surprise orders and the quality of the sushi. First off, I'd typically agree with this as I've had few bad experiences. However, sushi isn't like pizza in that if it's bad once, you'll give that place another shot. After deciding to grab a quick sushi roll for lunch, I went to visit Andy. Something that has gotten increasingly old to me is Andy's infatuation with putting mango and basil on everything I order. This is something that's nice the first time but, after that, I really just want what I ordered. And the aforementioned lunch was not one that I got what I ordered. I ordered a single spicy tuna roll hoping to get out of Wholley's having only spent $10 and without eating much as I planned to get soup too. Well, after ordering a single sushi roll, I was presented with a container of 18 pieces of sushi and a $20 tab. Whatever, I love sushi, I'll deal with it. However, the tuna was beyond dry, the basil and mango was overpowering, and the pickled ginger was nearly brown (instead of the customary pink you would expect). I ate 4 pieces of the monstrous serving of sushi I was given and threw the rest away. So, as I said earlier, I have enjoyed meals from Andy in the past. However, one bad sushi experience can definitely test one's patronage to a particular sushi bar.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

If you have never heard of Andy and his Sushi joint then you haven't experienced Sushi yet. Located in a little stand no bigger than a large walk in closet, his "store" inside of Wholey's fish market is without a doubt the best tasting and freshest Sushi you can find. The portion sizes are large, the prices are cheap and the ingredients are top notch. My personal favorites include the Salmon and Mango Chef Special and, well, whatever else he makes.

If you are looking to have your Sushi prepared on a wooden ship or if you care about the presentation of your Sushi then this is not the place for you. Andy doesn't worry about plating or how it comes packaged (it is given to you in a styrofoam container) and neither am I. I care about taste, portion size and price and Andy delivers each and every time I eat at his place.

Without a doubt, and I have eaten Sushi all over the place including other cities, this is the best I have ever had. AWESOME!!!!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Seriously, I don't know how any other sushi places in Pittsburgh can compare with Andy's. There are just so many upsides, such as:
- Located in the middle of Wholey's Fish Market, so you know all of his fish is super fresh and you also know where it all comes from. I watched him make a spider roll for someone else, and he literally grabbed a fresh soft shell crab from the crab counter next to him, cut it up, and beautifully assembled the roll. Amazing and yummy.
- Andy has his own yummy specials and specialty rolls (Smoked Maki Roll, and Salmon with Mango were my two favs)
- Andy himself is a character, and is fun to banter with
- Not only is his food delicious, but it's also beautiful and well presented. Watching him make what you are about to eat is half the fun

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 18, 2008

Awesome sushi inside of the Wholey's store, and Andy is hilarious!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 3, 2008

inside wholeys, not a bad place

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Andy's Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!