“Casual elegance! Planning to go back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh

The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
Ranked #3 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
cleveland, ohio
“Casual elegance! Planning to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

The Parador is not your usual overstuffed Victorian bed and breakfast. Ed has exquisite taste and brings the Caribbean to Pittsburgh, PA! The courtyard is beautiful, with tropical plants and a comfortable veranda. An added plus, is that it is in walking distance from Heinz Field and the new casino.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

I usually never write reviews when I go somewhere, but I always use Tripadvisor to get an idea about a place when I decide where to stay. After my recent stay at The Parador Inn, I had to write a review. The place was fantastic! My family and I decided to travel to Pittsburgh, PA for a little sight seeing and relaxation. Traveling with kids can be a challenge (2 teenagers and 2 young children) but we decided to try something different, rather than stay in the usual cookie cutter hotel. So after reading a review about The Parador, we decided to give this cool looking bed and breakfast a try. Since it was a bed and breakfast, I was concerned about staying there with my kids. Upon contacting The Parador to make a reservation, I spoke with the owner, Ed. Ed was cool and assured me that kids were welcome. I made the reservation and Ed promptly sent me a confirmation email. Upon our arrival, Ed greeted us and our check in was smooth. We were given a tour of the grounds and some history about the mansion. We were also introduced to the co-owners, 2 black Labs named Razor and RJ. They were fantastic, especially with the kids. During our stay, Ed gave us great ideas for things to do in town and the best way to get around. The beds were great, as was the free wireless internet. There was also a beautiful garden area in the back, which was great for just sitting and relaxing or reading a book. The Carribbean decor and music was also a great touch. It was nice to hear Bob Marley every morning as we ate a prepared breakfast. The Pardor is located in a great part of town and the best part is, if your a Steelers or Pirates fan, The Parador is literally up the street from both stadiums. All I can say is if your staying in Pittsburgh, you would be crazy not to stay at The Parador. Its like you never left home!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

This B&B is really superb. We were just checking out Pittsburgh for a few days, usually enjoy b&bs, and read favorable reviews of The Parador. We weren't disapointed at all. The neighborhood is convenient for the downtown scene (you can walk if you're not a wimp), has a great Thai restaurant just across the street, and a fine host who makes you feel welcome without fussing. The common areas are lovely and relaxing and breakfast is delicious--breakfast time is flexible too, which was greatly appreciated. We will certainly return!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

Just came back from a 3 night stay at the Parador Inn. I'm a tourist.

The location couldn't be better. It was easy to get to and, except to go to Oakland, I walked everywhere during the day for sightseeing. There are also a many places to eat nearby from fast food to nice restaurant. Ed, master of the house, is THE source to go to for ideas of what to do and where to go. He helped us plan our days around what was open when, pointed out good places to eat, and gave us directions to wherever we wanted to go. He also pointed out local not-to-miss buildings nearby. We especially liked the church with the Tiffany windows.

The ambience of the place is Carribean meets antique store. The building is big and rambling and every room is uniquely decorated. It is SO beautiful. Everywhere you look there's some new little detail to see. I loved sitting in the evening writing in my journal and sipping the complimentary port.

Each bedroom is unique and has a private bath, a.c., fireplace, t.v., phone, and cushy bathrobes. After a hard day of extreme sightseeing, it was a clean and relaxing place to unwind. Even after four days, I was wowed by the decor every time I entered the room.

Breakfasts were large and gourmet. The specialty breads, fruit and yogurt parfaits, juice, coffee, and "Food and Wine" quality maindishes were delicious.

If you go, say hi to Razor (big, loving, black lab) for me.

• Liked — Quality and uniqueness of the room.
  • Disliked — couldn't make it totally dark
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MisterTiffy
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Parador Inn on our way to Niagara Falls. Excellent service and faciliaties. Ed was a very welcoming and gracious host. Our room (African Tulip) was large, well appointed and clean. Every aspect of our stay was enjoyable.

• Liked — Host
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Jersey Shore, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Parador Inn while we were in Pittsburgh to see a Steeler game. We weren't sure what to expect. The pictures online looked really nice, but sometimes pictures can be deceiving. This wasn't the case with the Parador. Everything was top notch - from the decor to the cleanliness of the rooms to the quality of the breakfasts, no detail was overlooked. There are a number of different style rooms to choose from. We stayed in the Ruellia, which is in the carriage house - this room was actually bigger than my husband's first apartment and it was perfect for entertaining before the big game! My sister and her husband stayed in the main house, and their room was absolutely beautiful. Ed was very accommodating and knowledgeable about the city of Pittsburgh and what to see and do, and his dog, Razor, is just the sweetest. Did we mention that the Parador is only 3 blocks from Heinz Field? So while everyone else was fighting for a $40 parking space before the game, we were enjoying a hearty breakfast knowing that we already had a secure off-street, FREE parking spot. Then after the game, while everyone else was fighting the traffic to get out of the city, we were back in the comfort of our room watching the post-game analysis. We would highly recommend this b&b to anyone coming to town for a sporting event... or for any other reason for that matter. We will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Clean, Classy and Convenient
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
tulsa, ok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

I have stayed in the Parador numerous times in the last eighteen months. The only reason I haven't stayed there lately is that my company insisted I get an apartment because I am in Pittsburgh so much. I have recommended the Parador to business associates without reservation. The rooms are enormous and very comfortable. The Caribbean motif would seem like a funny mix with a Victorian mansion filled with fabulous antiques, but it works. It brings a sense of lightness and fun to what could be a rather austere setting. The neighborhood is so-so, but on the upswing. I never had any problems walking to dinner etc., but others may not be as comfortable. The good news is that the location is great: close to the stadiums, next to I-279 entrance, close to the Carnegie Science Museum. But the mansion itself (and Ed, more about that later) is what brought me back. Everytime I stayed I noticed something different; an interesting carved panel, an unusual window seat, some detail on the lavish mantleplaces. As well as being a cool building, I found it a great place to stay as a business traveler. The place is wired and the location made getting to appointments downtown and elsewhere very easy. Now to Ed, the Owner/Manager. He is as professional a person in the lodging industry as you will ever find. He is almost obsessive about the quality of his establishment, which includes the wonderful breakfasts he serves. He is also an incredible resource as to Pittsburgh and its many attractions if you are interested. I was stunned by the last comment. I feel I got to know Ed in my many stays with him, and he is not in the least bit discriminatory. He is a charming and funny guy that takes great pride in the kind of establishment he runs. I can't stress enough, you will not be disappointed with your stay at the Parador, though with the nice blurb he received in the New York Times you may want to make reservations ahead of time!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — really nothing I can think of
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business