“Not friendly if you need to cancel your reservation.”

The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
Ranked #2 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
DC
“Not friendly if you need to cancel your reservation.”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I was very disappointed when I had to cancel my stay. My husband and I were planning a trip to Pittsburgh to meet up with some friends. Unfortunately, our friends got bad news about a family member and had to cancel our trip. I then called the Parador and asked to cancel the reservation (3 days notice) due to a family emergency. The first thing that I was confronted with is "well I need some kind of proof"--I was saddened by the abrupt non-sympathetic remark. I basically said that I was uncomfortable to ask my friend to give me proof that their family member was gravely ill in the hospital. I then said that I understand your policy that you can't give a refund I would like a credit, which isn't the best--but I knew that info. from the site (cancellation within 2 weeks--can only offer credit). I then asked if I could I give the credit to a friend who may be visiting the area--unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I'm out the money and quite honestly it's made me not want to stay there.

I'm sure this is a great place to stay, I was just sad at how I was treated.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank 1234DC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Clarksville, MD
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We stayed here for four days for a friend's wedding. Although the neighborhood is not the best, when I walked in I felt like a princess. Our rooms were the most spacious I've even been in. I had the chance to see all the rooms, and they are really quite beautiful and large. The mansion itself is so spacious; I think I only sat on 15% of the couches! Its not far from the hospital, and I was concerned about street noises but we were actually able to sleep with the windows open; we only heard the fountain in the courtyard. Ed was great, the prices affordable (and even underpriced), and we made fast friends with Razor, the dog. The only cons were the bed was a little uncomfy and the room a bit hot at night. I have already recommended it to a few friends.

• Liked — The mansion
  • Disliked — The location, although it is a nice walk to the aviary museum, and the ballpark, science and children's museum is right there, it is an area in transition.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GardenSeeker
Phillipston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2008

My wife & I stayed in Pittsburgh August 2007 for a family wedding and decided to make a bonified 'lets experience Pittsburgh' vacation out of our trip. The wedding was at a different, small, but popular & well known B&B, the Morning Glory Inn. It was booked solid by the wedding party. We trust trip advisor's ratings so we looked for a good deal on one of their well ranked hotels. We found a great deal on The Priory , a European style hotel, and at the time it was ranked #2 of a long list on Trip Advisor. They were also booked solid on the wedding night (Friday) but not early week. The Priory's receptionist recomended The Parador Carribean Style B&B as a great place to stay describing it as a new Place thet had recently come under new ownership and had been completly redone as a Victorian Style / Carribean Style / Key West Style Bed & Breakfast Inn. She said she heard great things about it and gave me the website address. We were intrigued so we checked out the website and gave Ed Menzer, the host & proprietor a call. He was running a deal on a fourth night free so we decided to stay 2 days at the Priory and then 4 at The Parador. We have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Priory....It was everything Trip Advisor said it was and more. But let me tell you: The Parador blew the Priory away (and, for that matter, anyplace we have ever stayed) with its incredible ambiance, beauty, and spaciousness. Ed gave us the grand tour and from moment 'one' we were in awe. Caribbean music is piped in to the common areas 24/7. The suites are huge, each has its own distinctive styling and atmosphere, and they are all the same price. The website simply doesn't do the place justice and must be seen to be believed. You are instantly transported hundreads of miles away from the big city to a caribbean Paradise just by walking over the threshold. The furniture, the courtyard, the white sand 'beach', the incredible murals painted on the walls, intricate original woodwork, floors, ceilings, knick knacks...Wow! Ed's (& his Black Lab Razor's) personality and hospitality exude from every square inch. It is evident that alot of thought and hard work has gone into making The Parador all that it is and we (my wife has been in the hospitality industry all her life) recommend it as 'The only" place to stay in Pittsburgh and well worth every penny.

• Liked — Its unique ambiance & personality
  • Disliked — Having to come back to reality everytime we walked out the door.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank hiramabif