“Beautiful property in a fun neighborhood” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh

The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
Ranked #3 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Beautiful property in a fun neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

The Parador Inn is a lovely place to stay. I was here for almost 2 weeks on business, staying in a large upstairs suite in the carriage house. The Inn is an old mansion that has been wonderfully done as a B&B. Ed offers helpful advice on restaurants and local attractions. Breakfast is terrific- 3 course every day, with yogurt parfait, home-made bread, and entree. In 2 weeks there, there was no repetition of entree & all were terrific. Walking distance to downtown, and plenty of good restaurants walking distance from the inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

I am the Innkeeper of the Stony Point Bed and Breakfast in Tyrone Pennsylvania. I started as Innkeeper in March of this year..I asked Ed via email for advice about being an Innkeeper. He was extremely helpful and provided unique insight that has been invaluable to me.....Today I was in Pittsburgh and stopped by The Parador Inn unannounced....well I was greeted by Ed's assistant Dee...she warmly invited me into the house and pointed me in Ed's direction as if I was an old friend!!!..That's true experience at work and in action.............Now Ed dropped everything he was doing and gave me a tour of the entire mansion.....a true Innkeeper through and through............the house is wonderful and loaded with history and unique treasures! Ed is writing a book about Internet Marketing and I certainly will avail myself of a copy when its completed. Seeing the Dee and Ed in action today was a treat...Thank You to both of you!!!! Paul

Room Tip: The master bedroom has the original safe.......also the house was a Knights of Columbus meeting hall...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Inn keeper, Ed, is charming and really makes you feel like you are visiting his home which you are but you get the sense that you are really welcome there. Loved the furniture, the Jamaican decor and music. Quite a lot of detail and work went into restoring this lovely home! Our room was very comfortable, a bit noisy in the morning but coming from New York City, we are used to it. The breakfasts, especially the homemade bread every morning, were delicious! I'm missing the breads and the parfaits. Ed gave us some really great tips on where to go to eat and also what to see. I also loved Derronda's notes every day and of course her art of bread baking! Great place and if we get back to Pittsburgh would stay there again! Oh, can't forget to mention, Razor and RJ added to the homey atmosphere!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank siggsdog
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed here just the one night while passing through Pennsylvania but it was the perfect place for a stopover. We found Ed to be friendly, generous and welcoming and Deronda couldn't have been more charming! We shared the huge suite at the top of the house with our kids and all had more than enough space and were very comfortable. Understandably, the ancient plumbing took a bit of getting used to but once we had mastered the shower, everything was perfect.

Ed gave us a couple of good recommendations for city restaurants and we were not disappointed - we ate at the Grand Concourse in Station Square where the food was lovely and the staff were delightful. Breakfast next day was a feast - fantastic dishes lovingly prepared - something for everyone!

The Parador is not short on character, especially the dogs - we would definitely stay there again when visiting this attractive city!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I love to stay at B&Bs! Sadly, I did not love this one... Our family stayed at the Parador Inn for our nephew's wedding celebration which was held on site. The lodgings were kitschy but quaint and the fireplace in the room was really lovely during the September cold snap! The notice in the room asked for dietary restrictions so I brought mine up with Dee and she was more than happy to accommodate. Ed wasn't so happy with our low carb or vegetarian diets but he did fix egg whites for the low carb people! He became prickly when the mother of the groom and I had to shift family members in rooms to accommodate octogenarian grandparents who found they could not climb a couple of steep sets of stairs to their assigned room. We noticed that he did work tirelessly to help the caterer with the wedding but felt we were quite an inconvenience for him during this time. I believe this would be a nice place to stay so long as Ed doesn't become frazzled. We loved the puppies, they just need to be kept off the lawn prior to outdoor functions to lower the chance of accidents to zero for the next wedding party...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BDeebsandMe
theparadorinn, Owner at The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
I take Innkeeping very seriously, particularly hosting weddings. I only have one chance to make the wedding as special as the bride deserves. That is why I get as many details taken care of ahead of time. The guest rooms were assigned by the bride ahead of time. When the grandmother arrived and my manager took her to her room, the grandmother cursed my manager and refused the room. This started a domino of various rooms switching when I was attempting to check-in seven other rooms.
Guests were sent Confirmation Letters in advance and in it, any dietary restrictions were requested to let me know in advance. Nothing was said in advance, so I agreed with the bride's mother to feed an additional four family members not staying at the Inn. Three guests insisted on egg whites upon check-in. Usually, egg white requests is associated with the need for lower cholesterol. All three guests wanting egg whites ate the three strips of bacon on their plate.
I became frazzled when during the reception, the bartenders over serve a number of the guests. I had guests getting sick in my parking lot, I had a guest throw a beer bottle at my Inn and a number of them ended up being refused to serve anymore alcohol.
Because I had such an unpleasant experience with this wedding, I am no longer agreeing to hosting any future weddings that are not already under contract.
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

This was probably the most beautiful bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in. The historical details were fabulous; the care and the expense that went into the restoration were obviously considerable. Breakfast was good.
Sad that I would never stay here again.

We found the owner to be very prickly to say the least. After the comments on TripAdvisor, we were so surprised. When we arrived, we knew he had to leave so we said we would just drop off our luggage and come back at 3 PM. In an angry manner, he grabbed his credit card machine and said he would check us in now. His behavior was so unwelcoming that had we not paid in advance, we would have left immediately.

The was probably our 50th stay in a bed and breakfast and we had never been treated with such indifference and irritation (throughout the stay.) To this day, we are still wondering what was up with the owner. Whatever it was, we hope he is better as his place is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LolaSpan
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at this lovingly restored mansion B&B. The Oleander room (original master bedroom) was definitely the largest room I've ever been in while on vacation. It was quite charming and I felt a little transported back in time. Overall, I'd say that the place was fairly quiet due to the other respectful guests, but I could definitely hear the stairs creaking and people talking downstairs so I think the place could use some more soundproofing. I had mixed feelings about breakfast, I liked the yogurt/granola parfait and orange juice but the entrees all seemed to be bread-based (french toast, oatmeal bread). Since I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat bacon, there was no alternate protein served. I would have much preferred to have a plate of eggs and potatoes. But overall, Ed (owner) and Derronda (hostess) do a lot to make this B&B warm and welcoming. If you're ever in Pittsburgh, I think this is a good choice for your accommodation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo