“Romantic Dinner”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We didn't have a reservation on a Friday evening, so we had to sit in the bar area. Thankfully, we got a table away from the door, since it was so cold outside. It was pretty loud and very dark, which at first I had been concerned about, but after we had ordered, gotten our food and a drink, everything was fine! The fried sardine and antipasta appetizers were very tasty and clearly made with high quality ingredients. Our entrees were great. I've never had better gnocchi. Our waitress was very knowledgeable of the menu and attentive. It was a lovely night out, and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've been traveling from the Philadelphia area to Pittsburgh nearly every week for over 6 years. Because I stay in hotels, I eat out at least 3 nights a week. I've tried all the 'must go' restaurants around, and trust me, Pittsburgh is a great city for dining, with interesting and unique places, including many wonderful, ethnically diverse restaurants. However, Dish is the one place I always fall back on. It is by far what a good, authentic, Italian Osteria should be -sans the hype. I love the menu, just enough choices to satisfy.(And really, a menu with over over 50 items on it--what's up with that? Can it all be fresh?) Dish has just the right balance. I always try hard to order something other than the grilled octopus with spinach to start, and the mushroom pasta for the main course... but I just can't help myself!!! I did have a delicious rabbit ragú recently, it rivaled my usuals, but truly everything is great. This is real food, and real quality cooking. (Sorry guys, except for the Frutti di mare, I keep trying it because I love Frutti di mare, but not my fav here... it needs a bit more zip.) The starters are all wonderful, the main courses- fabulous, the pana cotta is perfect, the wines -- varied and delicious, and the bartender's service is always pleasant. Every person I've brought here has been hooked ever since. The owners are very caring and friendly, and work hard to be sure you are having a good experience. As others have mentioned, it is a small place, with a cozy bar room, and on street parking is tricky--but worth the challenge! Just a side note: I'm a Trip Advisor fan, but I question it's dependability when Bravo Cucina is rated way above Dish...come on, Pittsburgh, preserve your great culinary destinations!

1  Thank jruth
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Before going to Dish I had heard many people saying "you've got to go there" First of all , where we sat was at least 30 degrees and next to a door that kept opening and closing. The appetizers were good and the server very wonderful. There was nothing really on the menu that seemed very appetizing and most of it was slightly overpriced. We ordered the Frutta de Mare which was essentially undercooked spaghetti with nearly raw whole squid in it. It was gag inducing. It seems liek a nice place to have a drink with a friend but please wear a coat and don't order any food.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We recently ate at Dish and loved it. We dined on a terrific antipasti plate, handmade gnocchi with boar ragu, and pasta carbonara. The seasonal Christmas dessert was also excellent. The vibe is casual but sophisticated. The wine list was fairly priced with many excellent Italian wines. This restaurant is what an osteria should be. Fair prices, excellent food, and an inviting atmosphere.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I almost never give Osteria's and less formal restaurants an excellent rating, but Dish is a rare restaurant. The service was more than outstanding and the food is simply exceptional. The dining room and bar is a cool old house in Pittsburgh's South Side neighborhood. This is currently THE place in Pittsburgh. All of the pastas are handmade, the meat and fish dishes are fresh and perfectly prepared, and their wine list is large and features wines from Italy, California, and other locals. They have an exceptional beer and cocktail list as well. Restaurant is a little loud, but classy none the less. I consider Dish a "must" when visiting Pittsburgh.