“outstanding chocolate croissants”

Jean-Marc Chatellier's French Bakery
Ranked #1 of 55 Dessert in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: French
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stop at this bakery on my way to work occasionally. The smell is heavenly when you walk in the door. My coworkers love when I bring the croissants for breakfast. The layer cakes are very good and have delicious fillings. I buy the macaroons for my daughter b/c she eats gluten free. They are one of her favorite treats. When my sister-in-law came for a visit I served petite fours from Jean-Marc's and everyone thought they were wonderful.

1  Thank junebug724

Reviewed February 27, 2014

If you have limited your cake selections to the Giant Eagle variety, treat yourself to a cake from this Bakery - you'll never get a supermarket cake again. No cloying frosting, overly sweet cake here, just great taste and quality! This is where we get every birthday cake for all family members, a little pricier, but well worth it!

2  Thank iggyp100
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Lemon and other tarts had too much "crust" for the lack of a better description.
Most everything was good. Raisin cookies were a reason to go back! Really good.

I did not purchase French Macarons because I find that item to be a bit too sweet for my taste... here and elsewhere.

You didn't ask, but my favorite French Pastry Shop is Le Gourmandine on Butler Street in Pittsburgh, PA.

1  Thank imagineyes
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just in case anyone is confused by the reviews - this is a bakery, not a restaurant so don't come here looking for a meal.

Having said that, it is a very good bakery, run by a Breton (the poster of Bernard Hinault is a giveaway) who makes first-class French baked goods. I think La Gourmandine across the river does better croissants, but Chatellier makes the best French bread and macarrons I've tasted on this side of the Atlantic.

3  Thank Pittsburgh_cyclist
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have frequented this bakery for years. We have ordered Jean Marc's sheet cake for numerous birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Every few weeks we splurge on several slices of the layered cake. I especially love the raspberry mousse flavor and the tiramisu flavor. The cakes are decadent yet light and not overly sweet. The butter cream and mousse are also always airy and perfect. We also love the croissants which are perfectly flakey and buttery. In short, this is definitely the best kept secret in Millvale if not all of Pittsburgh!

2  Thank Quyen N