“My favorite!”

Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“My favorite!”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This is my favorite restaurant in the city. The goulash is amazing and not to be missed. They have a seasonal drink menu. Often times they have a band playing .We've also been there when they had someone telling Pittsburgh themed ghost stories. It's small...no more than 15 tables. The decor is eclectic. Nice atmosphere.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank tammytaggi

Pittsburgh
“disappointing for brunch”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

In the past I've enjoyed light, mediterranean/european fusion fare. But, the sunday brunch choices were heavy, salty, limited and the only bread available to have with eggs was pita. No reasonable veggie choices, either. I'll go back to the hummus at dinner.

• Visited February 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Fun Place”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Really fun place to go with friends. Food is average, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Cleveland Heights, Ohio
“Three words can sum up our evening at this charming little restaurant: eclectic, convivial, and delicios”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We found the Gypsy Cafe while searching online for a unique place to dine with friends during a two day visit to Pittsburgh. My husband, who was born in Yugoslavia, Googled "Croatian dining" and found one of his favorite Croatian dishes, cevapcici, on Gypsy's menu.
Garmin made the off-the-beaten-path location easy to find, but we had to circle the neighborhood several times to find a parking place.
I would describe the ambiance as romantic with a shabby-chic gypsy vibe, combining religious icons with antiques and white table cloths. The staff seemed genuinely happy to meet us, and were quite helpful, offering thoughtful suggestions when we were making our selections
The beverage menu featured a number of European beers that we don't often find in American restaurants, house special cocktails that were tasty and potent, and a very nice wine list.
We started with a flaming saganaki appetizer, which was was spectacular, and enjoyed by everyone. The cevapcici was deemed by my husband to be the best he's ever had. I followed our server's recommendation and ordered the Cossack Chicken; she was right, it was fabulous. Because the servings were large, we had no room left for dessert, unfortunately.
If we lived in Pittsburgh, we would be regular customers.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank MB M
Hampton, Virginia
“Great place for brunch”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Can I just say that this is not normally a place I would visit. But when i saw that they did themed brunches on Sundays, I just couldn't pass it up. This is a charming, fun, delicious place on the Southside of Pittsburgh.

One of the few places we have chosen to revisit, it is never disappointed!

• Visited February 2011