“Scary Place”

Ranked #1,539 of 2,194 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My 12-year-old son and I stopped in here before an evening performance at the Benedum. It was a big night for us -- his first dinner in the city and a chance for us to have a nice meal out together. I had been to this place many years ago, when it was still Seventh Street Grille, and had good memories. Well, as soon as we walked in, we should have walked out. The hostess greeted us and took us downstairs into a large but completely empty and dismal dining area (should have been my first clue). My son commented about how empty it was, but I told him that it was early, and would start to fill up (it eventually did, with about 4 other tables). The hostess took our drink orders right away. However, we were not given menus. Some guy, who I assume to be the owner, kept glancing out at us from the kitchen doorway. This was awkward and uncomfortable. He may have been the owner, because eventually he asked us if we had been given menus. Uh, obviously not. He seemed very frustrated and went to get them for us. A few minutes later, he was arguing with one of the waitresses right in front of us, telling her "you do what I say and that's it!". Another awkward moment. A few minutes later, this same waitress flew by, with another man trailing her, and they stomped into the kitchen, apparently to have words with the first guy. Oh, by the way, we don't have our drinks yet. A little bit later, another waitress comes by, asks to take our drink orders, and I tell her we already gave them to the hostess who walked us in, but I don't know where she went. She said she would find her. The drinks eventually come from the hostess, who apologizes, and tells us it is "crazy upstairs" at the bar area. Okay, I saw about three patrons in there when we originally walked through, so I can't imagine what is so "crazy". At this time, we still have not ordered yet. A few minutes later, the waitress comes back and takes our order. While waiting, the hostess returns again, and asks to take our order, and I tell her that we gave it to the waitress. She seems dumbfounded, and asks me "who was it?" I said I do not know her name (was never told). How should I know?? The food arrived fairly quickly; we had ordered three appetizers, but nothing about it was very appetizing. The fries were greasy and glompy with cheddar cheese melted over about 1/4 of them. Same with the chicken nachos - extremely bland, dry chicken with melted cheese on a few of the chips - the majority of them had nothing on them. The quesidillas were the best of the lot, and they were nothing to rave about. Apparently, the other tables were also experiencing their own issues with the food and service. I know this because we could pretty much hear everything they were saying (no background music being played), and they could also hear us (a woman diner sitting behind me even commented on something I said to my son.) It was a total comedy. I can't believe this place is in business, especially being in such a prime location so close to the theaters. It was a big disappointment for what I had hoped to be a wonderful dining experience with my boy.

2  Thank steam2013

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This may be the worst restaurant experience I ever had. They actually have "Crap Cakes" on the menu - twice. That pretty much describes every thing my party of four ordered. We were headed for Proper across the street but they had a forty-five minute wait and we had a show in ninety so we took a chance on a restaurant that was excellent in the past. When we found only two other parties at that time of a busy evening we should have run. There was something missing from every order at our table. One of us ordered a draft and it arrived flat after "dinner" was on the table. The waiter was very attentive and very frustrated. I felt as sorry for him as I did for us. A customer at the booth near us was missing the chicken from his chicken salad but refused to send it back because it took "an hour "to get it without the chicken.

1  Thank Bill S
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This used to be a bustling, easy place before a concert or show--great location, speedy service to get you there for curtain. Things certainly have changed. It was pretty empty when we arrived, and slowly took on more patrons. We were able to find something on the menu, but the booth next to us took almost 15 minutes to order--the kitchen was out of quite a few ingredients, they were between menus, new chef(maybe the chef quit because they weren't keeping up with pantry stock)so the waiter kept apologizing. The bathrooms were ok, but the place looked shabby and I commented to the greeter that the stairs to the dining area downstairs were in need of a sweeping. Will avoid going in the future. The usual places were packed--Penguins game, and I did not have the foresight to make reservations. It was a fall back dining experience we won't be repeating.

1  Thank shelleycn
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Had eaten here previously before a show and really enjoyed it; but what a disaster this time. Blue Cheese on salad was OLD...couldn't even crumble it with a fork and the special fries were NOT what was on the menu. The whole experience was very sad.

1  Thank Allyn I
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We tried the place on a recommendation. We ordered drinks and I received a very flat beer, they said that was all they had because the beer they were running low. I told the waitress that I would rather have a cola, which never came until I asked for it a second time, the waitress response was "didn't I bring you it?". When they gave us menu's they were all different, some were just lunch and some of the dinner menu's had different prices. My shrimp dinner was Ok but not worth the $25 they charged me, by the way the menu listed it for $21. My Daughters pasta was terrible. They did comp us a scallop appetizer and took the $21 pasta dish off the bill but I would never eat there again. We also heard the table next to having issues also with the food and being over charged.

1  Thank cdyak49157