“Great local bakery”

Prantl's Bakery
Ranked #2 of 51 Dessert in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Parking Available, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Description: Prantl's Bakery is a Pittsburgh institution. Its "Burnt Almond Torte" and 100+ sinful sweets have been a tradition for the last 40 years. In fact, there's been a bakery in continuous operation at the flagship Shadyside store for over 100 years. Prantl's is a bakery in the German tradition, with old-fashioned fruit Danish and nut-filled coffeecakes, but we can't help but get excited about some of our "new favorites" as well, like key lime pie and our buttery croissants. In addition to our mouth watering special order cakes, we are famous for our "Burnt Almond Torte", which was conceived by Henry Prantl after a trip to California. There was an almond glut the year he went and the Almond Board was trying to get bakers to use almonds in new and inspiring ways. Henry picked up a few ideas and brought them back to Pittsburgh where he refined them into our current recipe for "Burnt Almond Torte", a unique and addictive dessert. If you've never had one, you really do have to try one. If you have had one, you know what we're talking about! Henry and Jane Prantl retired from the business in 2007. The bakery is now owned and operated by John M. Felice, who strives to maintain the tradition of high quality baked goods. We hope you agree . .
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great local bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

Choose from doughnuts, pastries, cookies, cakes, and lots of other great stuff. All from a local bakery, a rare find these days. A great accompaniment to coffee from the Coffee Tree across the street or Jitters a half block east, both local independent or small chain coffee joints.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, PA
“Love the burnt almond torte”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

It is probably one of the best cakes ever! Always moist and fresh tasting. Love the sugared toasted almonds and icing. Definitely a dessert for your sweet tooth.

• Visited July 2014
rockville, md
“FANTASTIC baked goods....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Brownies are HUGE and filled with nuts, buttercream icing is light, fluffy but very sweet and delicious. Visited the downtown Market Square location-

• Visited June 2014
Pittsburgh
“Love Prantls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Everytime im in shadyside, i have to go here and buy an almond torte...i always wanna try something else but it always comes back to the almond....in case you dont know, i really recommend the almond torte at Prantls

Visited July 2014
PA
“Burnt Almond Tort, Enough Said”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Burnt almond tort.... Well I read a story about this torte many, many months ago and filed the story for my fiancé's birthday. Well let me tell you am I glad I did! We did not go to Pittsburgh to get it you can order it online and that is what I did. So I can't review the actual bakery but I will say the cake is hands down one of the best cakes I've ever eaten.
I have never in my 40 years had a cake as light as this cake is. A cottonball as comparison or a white fluffy cloud is all I can think of that comes close to the lightness of this cake. It has a wonderful custard in the middle that truly complements the lightness of the cake. Then the buttercream icing and almonds. The crunch of the almonds the sweetness of the butter cream, the lightness of the cake and the custard in the middle. It really is a heavenly dessert. Actually it is perfect. There is not a single thing that needs changing. It is spectacular. It was a little costly to get it shipped but I am hoping next time I'll have the pleasure of eating it without the need of shipping. Either way I will look forward to having this again. Hopefully soon, it's really that delicious. Don't think twice.... Just think Burnt Almond Tort, um um good.

• Visited July 2014