“THE TOASTED ALMOND TORTE IS DIVINE”
Review of Prantl's Bakery

Prantl's Bakery
Ranked #2 of 54 Dessert in Pittsburgh
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Description: Prantl's Bakery is a Pittsburgh institution. Its "Burnt Almond Torte" and 100+ sinful sweets have been a tradition for the last 40 years. In fact, there's been a bakery in continuous operation at the flagship Shadyside store for over 100 years. Prantl's is a bakery in the German tradition, with old-fashioned fruit Danish and nut-filled coffeecakes, but we can't help but get excited about some of our "new favorites" as well, like key lime pie and our buttery croissants. In addition to our mouth watering special order cakes, we are famous for our "Burnt Almond Torte", which was conceived by Henry Prantl after a trip to California. There was an almond glut the year he went and the Almond Board was trying to get bakers to use almonds in new and inspiring ways. Henry picked up a few ideas and brought them back to Pittsburgh where he refined them into our current recipe for "Burnt Almond Torte", a unique and addictive dessert. If you've never had one, you really do have to try one. If you have had one, you know what we're talking about! Henry and Jane Prantl retired from the business in 2007. The bakery is now owned and operated by John M. Felice, who strives to maintain the tradition of high quality baked goods. We hope you agree . .
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“THE TOASTED ALMOND TORTE IS DIVINE”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I get the toasted almond torte on birthdays .A MUST TRY!!!! .. it is absolutely scrumptious. It melts in you're mouth... it is not too sweet, just right. the staff are always friendly, especially Ms. O'Leary. I am craving this cake right now!

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“delicious”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Ohhh Prantl's. When I leave Pittsburgh to visit my family they won't let me home if I don't bring Prantl's :) Never been disappointed. The Burnt Almond torte is delicious, but you have to try all of their other baked goods too. The Pineapple Danish is to die for.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 1234sss
“Wonderful baked goods”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The BEST burnt almond torte in the world. No one else does it like they do. Also sticky buns and ladylocks that are so good that you think of them for days after eating one.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Peggy F
“Delicious and reasonable”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stopped here to get some cookies and cupcakes. The prices were very reasonable. The cupcakes were delicious! Highly recommend this bakery!

• Visited September 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Not what it could be”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

With just a little effort, this Pittsburgh institution could really improve the tourist experience. The pastry selection seemed limited, I thought, but I mostly wanted to try the burnt almond torte, which I did by trying the mini size and it was wonderful, I must say. There were no napkins provided in the takeout bag and I was told they had no cups so that we could share a bottled drink. The staff seemed a little miffed we were even in the place, much less eager to offer a solution. The large, vividly colored cakes (watermelon slices, cheeseburger cake, etc.) were unappetizing and a little cheesy. A few amenities like napkins, cups, and a smile could go a long way.

Visited July 2013