“Very nice”
Review of Le Lyonnais

Le Lyonnais
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Lyonnais is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 2,159 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tenth St.
Transit: yes
Description: “French comfort food”. These three words may not seem like they belong together but they do here at Le Lyonnais. Our concept is one of simple, affordable, yet delicious dishes inspired by time honored recipes from my hometown of Lyon some of which have been in my family for generations.
Durham
“Very nice”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Went to the SG before a Pirates game. Not the cheapest but delightful food. I tried the three course combination (which I would recommend) of Tempura shrimp, spicy cucumber, soy, wasabi emulsion and local microgreens; avocado & crabmeat tian, crouton, spicy mayo, cucumber, tomato red onion and chilli oil; filet mignon, creamy whipped potatoes, broccolini and blue cheese. My counterpart had the filet mignon main meal. I'd say mine were half size meals so quite filling. We both had the West Coast II Wines. With gratuity it came to about $130 between us. The food was very nice, especially the crab/avocado tian. The wine was a bit of a disappointment for a wine related restaurant, but the food more than made up for it.

Sutton, Massachusetts
“Poor Service of Large Group, Lots of Potential in the Menu, Nice Atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Went here with a group of about 50 colleagues and took over the back half of the restaurant. With that type of money on the line, you would think the service and attention, particularly from the Maitre D, would be spot on.

It wasn't.

To their credit, they were reasonably quick to pour wine, but delivering ordered drinks was another story, especially for the poor guy sitting across from me who apparently didn't speak up quickly enough and was bypassed completely.

And so it went.

Another companion sitting next to me didn't have silverware, so I tried to track someone down to help her. There wasn't a server in site, so I began looking around to see if there was a station where I could grab her some silverware. At this point, with my body turned in my seat, it's clear I'm looking for something but as I rotate back, I see the Maitre D walking towards me, he looks RIGHT AT ME, but before I can say a word, he looks straight ahead and hustles right past me into the kitchen.

Nice.

As for the food, the menu choices looked above average and I was truly looking forward to sampling their food. I ordered a $34 Filet Mignon, Medium Rare. Others ordered them too, ranging from Medium Rare to Medium Well. When all the meals arrived at our table except for mine, everyone started eating (at my request) while I waited. I started noticing that most weren't cooked the way they had been ordered. On the upside, the guy who ordered Medium Well and got Medium Rare had an epiphany: he actually liked Medium Rare better.

When mine arrived, I cut into it and, what do you know? It was Well Done. Of course at this point, the rest of my colleagues were partially done with their meals, so I didn't send mine back to be re-fired, so I'll take responsibility for that. Still, I think it's a reflection on their service to mix up nearly every $34 piece of beef they served and toss in an overcooked plate for good measure.

Bottom line: the atmosphere and menu hold so much promise, but the service and food mix-ups just absolutely ruined the experience for me. For that reason, I have to say that there are other restaurants within walking distance of Sonoma Grille that can handle large groups and will actually treat you like they appreciate that you're about to part with a significant amount of hard-earned cash, so keep on walking.

1 Thank taylorplayer
China
“Poor service, average main course, expensive for what you get.”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This restaurant will improve a lot if the staff was less arrogant and will follow some basic rules to serve a table. The appetizers were nice but nothing spectacular. We order a bottle of wine and the wine was too warm. The waiter came to ask if we needed anything and saw that 2 glasses where empty and did not pick up the bottle to fill the glass. We asked for a glass of water with no ice and it never came. We had to asked twice for a non alcoholic menu, one beer menu arrived then we had to wait close ten minutes to have the waiter come back for asking again. answer, we do not have any non alcoholic menu, we have pups...We had to ask, if they had any fresh juice or tea and we also had to name ourself the different kind of tea until the waiter said yes abut one. The main course arrived before we finished our appetizer and we were not slow . The waiter had a plate in his arm and the other arm free, and he waited for us to clear the table. He acted like a mean teacher in front of bunch of student who do not know any manners, "chop chop chop...I am waiting after you...again!". My husband and I did not say anything in front of our international guesses. My husband ordered the recommended main course and it was dull, non attractive and tasteless. My main course was average. Our guesses did not say anything about their food and we didn't ask not wanting spoil the evening. A half piece of bread came from a "bread waiter" without any smile and never came back! One waiter started to remove our plates after the main course before one of us had finish his, that make him uncomfortable to finish his meal alone! It's not that bad but definitely we do not have praise for the service. Knowing Pittsburgh we were not surprise about the taste of the food.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“From bad to worst”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

After many years of using TripAdvisor as a guide for choosing hotels and restaurants, I have finally succumbed to writing a review out of total frustration!
I just left Sonoma Grille, disappointed based on it being it rated #13 on TripAdvisor of all the restaurants in Pittsburgh. In hind sight, I should have picked up on the various reviews on TripAdvisor, identifying service as a major issue with this restaurant. If this restaurant could survive without a waiting staff, it would be an OK restaurant.
We had made a reservation and were taken to a table in a sparsely filled restaurant on a Sunday night. We were taken to a table and the waitress came over to asked us for our drink order. So far so good. When we asked about how large their tapas appetizer was, she proceeded to tell us that we could have it along with a salad and a main course, do I hear " would you like fries with that"! Instead of inquiring why we wanted to know, she proceeded to go into her rehearsed up sell banter. That was the highlight of our service experience. She then left us to the wolves, while and I am not exaggerating, 6 waiters sat around the bar making small talk and totally ignoring the customers in the restaurant. I finally got the attention of one the waiters to see if anybody was interested in taking our order. He proceeded to take our order and then passed it on to our long abandoned waitress serving a party of of eight. To our great fortune, our order made it to the kitchen and we got our excellent tapas appetizer. Our waitress finally made it over to our table, at which time I expressed my dissatisfaction with her service, at which time she blamed it on her table of eight going to their table too early. A totally unacceptable excuse. We tried to exit on a good note and thought a restaurant featuring California cuisine might be able to handle a cheese plate. Wrong! After asking the waitress, what cheeses were on the the cheese plate, she had to go back to the kitchen to find out. After letting us know what they were, which included two cheddar's(that should have been a red flag), we ordered it. What came was possible the four most similar tasteless white cheeses one could imagine. The highlight was the few pieces of apple that came with it! I had then had enough and called over the manager to express our dissatisfaction with our mostly untouched cheese plate. Asking for our bill, came the highlight of our evening. They did not charge us for the so-called cheese plate. We then left with both the manager and waitress ignoring us. I have had better service in a McDonald's.

1 Thank TorontoRoadWarrior1
Beaufort, South Carolina
“After PNC nightgame”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Six of us walked over after a night game at PNC. The food and service was quite good.
The setting was attractive, as was the food presentation. The wine choices were very nice. The outstanding onion soup must get a special mention. I would recommend this establishment.

• Visited June 2011