“Poor service, average main course, expensive for what you get.”
Review of Le Lyonnais

Le Lyonnais
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Lyonnais is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 2,187 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tenth St.
Transit: yes
Description: “French comfort food”. These three words may not seem like they belong together but they do here at Le Lyonnais. Our concept is one of simple, affordable, yet delicious dishes inspired by time honored recipes from my hometown of Lyon some of which have been in my family for generations.
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This restaurant will improve a lot if the staff was less arrogant and will follow some basic rules to serve a table. The appetizers were nice but nothing spectacular. We order a bottle of wine and the wine was too warm. The waiter came to ask if we needed anything and saw that 2 glasses where empty and did not pick up the bottle to fill the glass. We asked for a glass of water with no ice and it never came. We had to asked twice for a non alcoholic menu, one beer menu arrived then we had to wait close ten minutes to have the waiter come back for asking again. answer, we do not have any non alcoholic menu, we have pups...We had to ask, if they had any fresh juice or tea and we also had to name ourself the different kind of tea until the waiter said yes abut one. The main course arrived before we finished our appetizer and we were not slow . The waiter had a plate in his arm and the other arm free, and he waited for us to clear the table. He acted like a mean teacher in front of bunch of student who do not know any manners, "chop chop chop...I am waiting after you...again!". My husband and I did not say anything in front of our international guesses. My husband ordered the recommended main course and it was dull, non attractive and tasteless. My main course was average. Our guesses did not say anything about their food and we didn't ask not wanting spoil the evening. A half piece of bread came from a "bread waiter" without any smile and never came back! One waiter started to remove our plates after the main course before one of us had finish his, that make him uncomfortable to finish his meal alone! It's not that bad but definitely we do not have praise for the service. Knowing Pittsburgh we were not surprise about the taste of the food.

There are newer reviews for Le Lyonnais

Reviewed July 10, 2011

After many years of using TripAdvisor as a guide for choosing hotels and restaurants, I have finally succumbed to writing a review out of total frustration!
I just left Sonoma Grille, disappointed based on it being it rated #13 on TripAdvisor of all the restaurants in Pittsburgh. In hind sight, I should have picked up on the various reviews on TripAdvisor, identifying service as a major issue with this restaurant. If this restaurant could survive without a waiting staff, it would be an OK restaurant.
We had made a reservation and were taken to a table in a sparsely filled restaurant on a Sunday night. We were taken to a table and the waitress came over to asked us for our drink order. So far so good. When we asked about how large their tapas appetizer was, she proceeded to tell us that we could have it along with a salad and a main course, do I hear " would you like fries with that"! Instead of inquiring why we wanted to know, she proceeded to go into her rehearsed up sell banter. That was the highlight of our service experience. She then left us to the wolves, while and I am not exaggerating, 6 waiters sat around the bar making small talk and totally ignoring the customers in the restaurant. I finally got the attention of one the waiters to see if anybody was interested in taking our order. He proceeded to take our order and then passed it on to our long abandoned waitress serving a party of of eight. To our great fortune, our order made it to the kitchen and we got our excellent tapas appetizer. Our waitress finally made it over to our table, at which time I expressed my dissatisfaction with her service, at which time she blamed it on her table of eight going to their table too early. A totally unacceptable excuse. We tried to exit on a good note and thought a restaurant featuring California cuisine might be able to handle a cheese plate. Wrong! After asking the waitress, what cheeses were on the the cheese plate, she had to go back to the kitchen to find out. After letting us know what they were, which included two cheddar's(that should have been a red flag), we ordered it. What came was possible the four most similar tasteless white cheeses one could imagine. The highlight was the few pieces of apple that came with it! I had then had enough and called over the manager to express our dissatisfaction with our mostly untouched cheese plate. Asking for our bill, came the highlight of our evening. They did not charge us for the so-called cheese plate. We then left with both the manager and waitress ignoring us. I have had better service in a McDonald's.

1  Thank TorontoRoadWarrior1
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Six of us walked over after a night game at PNC. The food and service was quite good.
The setting was attractive, as was the food presentation. The wine choices were very nice. The outstanding onion soup must get a special mention. I would recommend this establishment.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

We were in Pittsburg for a concert and wanted a special meal for our second night.. We reviewed restaurants in our area on trip advisor and selected Sonoma. Just a treat. We enjoy wine and took advantage of the tastes. That's a 3 ou. glass. My husband had 3 and I had 2. A great way to try new to you wines. The servies was spot on. Two waiters, a bus person and server. Our waiter; Sid; was well versed in the wine and menu selections. Four differant breads served with great dipping oil. There are a lot of ways to order. We shared a salad my husband had the pork as a regular entree and I choose from the pick 2 or 3. Crispy duck and filet with magic sauce. Also had their home made ice cream for desert. A memorable evening.

Reviewed March 9, 2011

Pros: good to excellent food, large wine list, some regional or specialty beers on tap
Cons: service

We were a party of 3 that arrived about 7:30 pm on a Tuesday night. The restaurant had several empty tables & some small and large parties (6+) so I'd say they were busy. The wine bar was completely vacant.
The first two greeters said "Hey Guys" to our party of one woman and 2 men. We were seated after a short wait and given menus, but no wine list.
The waiter presented himself and explained the menu and announced all the specials were "86-ed." I was rather surprised being it was still so early. He then disappeared for about 15 minutes leaving us to peruse the menu and wonder why no wine list. When my husband ordered the local Jamison Farm lamb osso bucco he said' "Oh didn't I tell you? The lamb is 86-ed." He disappeared for a couple minutes and came back to apologize again saying, oh we DO have the lamb.

Another waiter gave us glasses of water. Literally handed very full glasses of ice water to us across other seated patrons. yikes.

We then waited for quite a long time for our first courses and THEN we were asked if we wanted something to drink. A wine list was presented and the guys ordered beer on tap. My wine was delivered but they beers were not. After 10 or 15 minutes the first waiter came and announced that the keg for what they ordered was "kicked." They eventually substituted another similar beer. At this point we were approaching an hour with no food and so far no beer. Only a glass of wine.
The water waiter appeared with bread-oat bread and ciabiatta. One slice per person of either, and an offer of herbed olive oil which was shaken in a bottle with the busboy's thumb over the dispenser. (ICK.) Inexcusable.

I ordered the Sonoma Salad which was to be: Mesclun and Romaine, Asian Pear Julienne, Point Reyes Blue, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Dijon Vinaigrette. What I got was a generous serving of fresh greens and about one tablespoon of small diced tomatoes in the bottom of the bowl. NO pear, NO blue cheese, NO bacon. The men liked the vegetarian onion soup and the Fisherman's chowder. A waiter came by and asked if we were "done working on that." Awful.

The entrees were described by the guys as excellent ( the Lamb osso bucco and the mixed grill with filet and tuna and Asian stir fry vegetables.) My Cioppino was very good if over priced for the actual contents. The seafood was fresh. It was very spicy with no indication on the menu that is was so spicy. Good thing I like spicy. It had one piece of fish which was thick and hard to cut and too big to pick up and eat in one piece. There were 3 small shrimp and about 6 mussels and one clam. There was also a huge lobster claw which was difficult to mess with. I could have done without that and had more shrimp. The way the veggies were cut in long thin julienne pieces made it difficult to spoon even with the soup spoon. Would have been nice to have more than one thin slice of ciabiatta with it.

We were ignored by the server for the remainder of our meal and well after. When he appeared he acknowledged he had disappeared & sort of apologized. Instead of dessert which was not offered (were desserts 86-ed?) we ordered one tawny port, one grappa and one amaretto. After 10 minutes the waiter returned with the port & grappa and a smidge of amaretto in one glass - the preferred amaretto was "out" and comped with another brand.

We believed that despite being busy the servers under-manned or over-extended, or both. From start to finish it took 2 and one half hours. Now we were not in a hurry. The waiter asked us if we had a show time or time constraint when he fist greeted us and we said no, but really, 2-1/2 hours is excessive on a Tuesday night when we ordered nothing but regular menu items. What is Saturday night before a show at Heinz Hall, or during a convention like?

Is there really an excuse for being out of ALL specials by 7:30? Given that the waiter thought the lamb was out ( and it is a regular menu item) maybe he was wrong about the specials too.

The waiter clearly was not up to date on what was available. It is possible that the rest of the staff is also poorly trained and didn't inform him.

This is a well known restaurant and wine bar in a busy part of town, right near the convention center and cultural district. As such, it has a built-in patronage so there is no excuse for this type of service but maybe they think they can coast.

All that said I'd go back one more time to see but the service issue is consistently brought up in reviews at Yelp and Open table and elsewhere. despite that I'd say give it a try.

1  Thank BurghGirl71